Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Activate iPad 3G SIM without an iPad - Mac Forums

OK... there is a way to get and manage an iPad microSIM (for 15$) without buying an iPad. Can't get the unlimited data anymore (I don't think), but can someone with an iPad 3G and an iPhone 4 throw their iPad SIM into their iP4 and see if it will work as a data only device? iPhone 4 data-only for 25$ (2GB) sounds pretty good to me. Anyone else?

**BRENT**

you can look for a grandfathered iPad on CL, thats what i did and it worked easy

At least they are giving you something for the hassle.

Reading all these posts about people dropping the iPhone and shattering the glass has made me kind of paranoid. I will probably end up getting some overbuilt case for it when the good ones start coming out.

n i did it when you couldnt activate, i went to apple and at&T and they said nono if its a new ipad with a new sim/number. you an easily buy a grandfathered ipad now and just change the payment info. a customer at the bar just did the same last week and it worked perfect, they even showed me the unlimited data plan on their ipad. just make sure the person you are buying from does not cancel the service, when you meet with them for the exchange you just replace their info with yours and thats it. AT&T can not stop you from changing the name,Credit card, etc if you have to and its not up to them who you can change it to. the sim/number is grandfathered in as activated before the cut off date and thats all they care about.

I wonder if that's to avoid an impending lawsuit. I'm surprised ATT has gotten away with it's "service" for so long.

It is wonderful service after all. My wife called me this afternoon and left a voicemail, she waited 15 minutes and then called me in the office and my iphone showed no signs of receiving a call not to mention that I'd be sitting net to the phone with 5 bars of 3G available. 20 minutes later the phone beeped to let me know that I had voicemail. No missed call message. I'll be at the Verizon store this Thursday.

That is pretty sorry Nate. I went through that back in the day with Sprint where I would receive voicemails days late for some reason.

My biggest cellular issue now is this flaming POS Sprint Overdrive. Have to turn it on and off three to four times before I can get a network connection without error and then when I get it connected I get at best 130 Kbps DL. Also have to unplug it every time I want to use the one button on the unit as it will not seem to work when the device is plugged into the wall.

It is wonderful service after all. My wife called me this afternoon and left a voicemail, she waited 15 minutes and then called me in the office and my iphone showed no signs of receiving a call not to mention that I'd be sitting net to the phone with 5 bars of 3G available. 20 minutes later the phone beeped to let me know that I had voicemail. No missed call message. I'll be at the Verizon store this Thursday.

i can say this happens to me all the time on my 3GS, and happened with my iPhone first gen as well.

what phone ya goin' with nate?

I'm going to go investigate the Droid X. If I could I'd probably wait to check out whatever HTC comes out with next as the Incredible is a great phone and I like their UI tweaks better than moto's. I haven't heard any rumors about anything thoughso for now the X seems like the best option.

Edited by n_maher

This used to happen to me fairly frequently on my Verizon phone before I moved to my current home in northern Mass. In the last two years we've been here, I think it happened once.

@Nate... I wouldn't discount the Samsung Fascinate. No release date just yet, but I can't imagine it being TOO far off. If you have qualms with the Moto X when you get it in your hands, I wouldn't necessarily count out waiting a little bit. I know it's hard living with an iPhone for much longer, but if you're not in love with the phone, I'd hold off. I know the Galaxy S phones are getting Froyo, and I'm sure the Moto Droid X will too, but not sure when on either. When I find something out I'll let you know.

**BRENT**

So this is the first time I've got my iPhone at work and it barely gets 2 bars of reception in my office, and lose service altogether if I cover the infamous antenna sections with my hand. FWIW, I observed same reception problem with my Verizon cell phone, which lost service if I left the phone in my pants pocket. It doesn't help that my office is located in a section of the building where in all four directions, there are multiple layers of reinforced walls.