Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I'm certainly not going to buy a phone that I'm not comfortable with and I'll do some more research on the Samsung.

I have to wonder if the recent surge in iPhone 4's isn't to blame for part of what I'm seeing. Take an overloaded network, add more traffic and couple it with a horrible OS release, the results can't be good. AT&T's network up here has always been the weak link, a fact that has been borne out through actual testing (NE rates as AT&T's slowest network area) and is probably at the core of my dissatisfaction prior to the os4 debacle. ios4 will probably be the nail in the coffin.

While I've no real practical use or need for it (especially with knowing only 1 other person with iPhone 4 whom I'd call) I tried out FaceTime over the weekend with a friend of mine. It worked really well - both the audio and video came through clearly with no drop-offs.

Additionally, I think it is idiotic that it only works with iPhone 4 right now (though I suspect it'll eventually work with iChat).

Any 3GS users having issues with os4? Mike is selling me one of his numerous leftover stock from his iphone4 transition so in the event it has the old os, and whether I should upgradd to 4 or not. By all accounts it seems us 3G users have had the issues with os4 as it is too slow but the 3GS should be powerful enough to handle it.

Any 3GS users having issues with os4? Mike is selling me one of his numerous leftover stock from his iphone4 transition so in the event it has the old os, and whether I should upgradd to 4 or not. By all accounts it seems us 3G users have had the issues with os4 as it is too slow but the 3GS should be powerful enough to handle it.

My 3G was sluggish but I think the 3GS with more RAM and a faster CPU should be fine.

My thought would be that what issues do crop up for the 3GS are likely to be able to be solved via updates to the. The 3G issues are essentially terminal, the issues with the iPhone all appear to be mostly solved if you submit to using a case.

I am curious to play with the multitasking.

ITs the most overated and shitty part of iOS4.

first off you have to ask yourself what apps would you like to run in the background often?

second you have to ask yourself if those wanted apps can even run in the background, it seems those apps need to be written to be able to..in other words the dev has to update and make it happen.

third you have to remnd yourself to close the background apps, not sure if this runs the battery down much but its useless to swipe thru three pages of mutlitasked apps that arent doing shit in the background.

fourth only way you can close an app is to get in the mutlitask by double clicking then holding one app till you get the red subtract symbol and then you must manually select each app to close out.

i can see this being used nicely on the iPad in the future when/if all the apps are made to run Multitask, but on a cell phone now its just useless overall (maybe one or two apps are good for running the background on a phone).

also to answer your question about the 3GS running iOS4..

since the 3G sucks lagg balls and the iPhone4 can't even make/hold a simple fucking phone call i would say the 3GS is goldilocks at this point. its not that you can't go wrong with a 3GS, but if you go below or above it you're guaranteed to get fucked...atleast at this point in time..maybe the software update and magical Steve Jobs unicorns will make the iPhone4 an actual better Cell phone then the 3GS.

btw: i love my iPhone4 when i am not using it as a cell phone, Facetime chat's are seriously weirdly amazing..actually they can be really special! my sister's Boyfriend got an iPhone4 last week, my sister lives in Utah with him and the family in Chicago has not seen her since my grandma died in November..anyway.. so last sunday my family was doing our regular weekly meet up (my brothers, sister inlaws, parents, uncles, pets, you get the point) and i walked into the family room where everyone was sitting and chatting together while i was i was having a facetime chat with my sister in Utah..Ryan seriously everyone was in tears once my mom looked at the phone and seen my sister, then my sister was showing everyone her new house and it was just really moving! like it really was awesome!

Over 800 minutes of talk time on my iPhone 4 without a single dropped call. Maybe guaranteed to get fucked is a bit of hyperbole to prove your point but I have not had any issues and have a 3G network here in NYC that is far faster than the competitors (Verizon, Sprint) I have seen.

I have also not found much use for Multitasking. One time in the car while using the GPS and playing music through the stereo but outside of that I cannot think of any times I have actively used multitasking.

The 3Gs in my office with ios4 that I played with was very fast and seemed to work great. The two 3G phones with the upgrade not so much.

Over 800 minutes of talk time on my iPhone 4 without a single dropped call. Maybe guaranteed to get fucked is a bit of hyperbole to prove your point but I have not had any issues and have a 3G network here in NYC that is far faster than the competitors (Verizon, Sprint) I have seen.
I think that if you are in a well covered area you are unlikely to see any drop in performance with the '4' by holding it wrong. But if you're in a marginal signal area the attenuation caused by your hand has the potential to be significant. The funny thing is that Apple's OS update to correct the # of bars displayed may actually make the signal attenuation more noticeable (in the graphical sense). Right now, given the 50dB spread that Apple's 5th bar represents and anandtech's measured ~25dB drop with the wrong grip as long as you have less than 25dB signal loss you will never see the additional signal attenuation reflected on the phone's graph. If you had a numeric reading of signal strength instead bars you'd probably see something, although it's probably the case that you're simply well-enough covered in NYC to have it not matter.

I would theoretically think that the left handed people would be the greatest affected by the flaw as they will typically cup the phone in their hand bridging the two elements.

I have several cases now as I am not one of the "its too pretty to cover" people so I shouldn't have that problem anywhere I go.

As a rightie, I never hold my phone in my right hand. I always hold it in my left hand so I have my dominant hand free to do whatever I may need to do in middle of a phone conversation (e.g., take notes). Also, when I'm using the device, I hold it in my left hand so I can use my dominant hand to navigate the screen.

I've also made numerous calls from various locals around northern MA in the past few days and have not had any issues with the calls, except at my work/office with its multiple signal blocking walls it might as well be a giant Faraday cage. Though as Nate stated, it's more than likely that my area is just well covered. On a side note, 3G upload speed from my iPhone at my home is faster than my Comcrap cable upload speed. :palm:

Speaking of cases, the bumper is not exactly a well-designed piece of equipment.

For me, multitasking has had the biggest impact on load times for apps (aka fast switching) and allowing streaming music (Pandora, NPR, etc) while using Safari, emailing, etc. I don't have great coverage at work, so it's difficult to speak to phone performance. And I use the wifi's at home. But I really can't complain about my iOS4 experience with the 3GS, and it has made definite improvements to my experience as the end user.

Seems that ATT is finally going to have 3G service in the Little Apple. About frigin' time. I suggested to my poor wife that she upgrade to the new iOS on her 3G when it was first available. The phone has been crap since them but it seems part of the fault is the work that is being done to upgrade the service in our area. I think I need to look into downgrading her phone back to 3.1.3. I'll be damned if I will support Apple (till they fix their shit) or extended my service contract with ATT for a new phone.

I think I need to look into downgrading her phone back to 3.1.3.

Make sure you have a copy of backup made with 3.1.3 or backup of all the pertinent information (contacts, calendar, etc.) elsewhere as I believe you can't restore the information from backups made under 4.0 once you downgrade back to previous version of OS.

Its impossible to downgrade to 3.1.3 unless you had your phone jailbroken and had your SHSH blobs saved on cydia when 3.1.3 was available.

Must be why I couldn't downgrade my touch to 3.1.3. However, I was able to downgrade it to 3.1.2, which doesn't make sense since Apple has long since stopped signing 3.1.2 firmware (supposedly).

I just use the little extensions that came with all of my switch easy cases. I have been listening to the JH-13s straight from the iPhone for my commute and I have been happy. I also connected the Slim to it and for the 20-30 minutes I used it noted no interference when surfing etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know where I can get the plug extension, short of getting a case from Switcheasy (assuming they still include the extension)? It appears that most, if not all, of iPhone cases won't have big enough headphone jack opening to use with JH13.

Anyone know where I can get the plug extension, short of getting a case from Switcheasy (assuming they still include the extension)? It appears that most, if not all, of iPhone cases won't have big enough headphone jack opening to use with JH13.

The Casemate Gelli case has a very large headphone opening and will accept plugs from my JH13Pro and my Whiplash audio TWag cable, it just wont accept the 1/8" plug that APS uses on some of my full size phones.