Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Mike - have you used the bumper on your Zagg shielded iPhone(s) yet? If so, does the bumper push up on the edges of the front/back shield? I've got Wrapsol shields on mine and the bumper has pushed up on the edges, making them peel there (thankfully, I've got replacement from Wrapsol coming since mine was from the bad batch they had couple weeks back).

My Zagg came up slightly in one very small area because I took the bumper on and off a number of times. I just pushed it back down and it wasn't a problem. I don't think it's an issue, especially, if you just leave the bumper on. The bigger issue is that the JH13 plug does not fit.

6a00d83451e0d569e20133f23cfd0f970b-800wi

One solution to the Apple iPhone 4's antenna problem is to cover the lower left corner with tape.
So simple, so elegant ghetto. :palm:

Technical question to people familiar with the issue -- does this do anything to capacitance? Does "not touching it" really help the problem? So someone is going to come out with non-conducting hand protector specifically for the iPhone? Is there going to be an Apple iGlove?

All Apple needs to do is put a non-conductive coating on the external antennae, which I think they should have done before shipping these. With my Gelli case I can still make the phone drop to 3 bars by covering the lower left corner with my hand in the "grip of death", but it doesn't affect calls or data speed like holding it without the case. It's true that all phones have an area where you can interfere with the antenna reception a bit, just not as badly as an unprotected iPhone 4.

I also noticed that when using the JH13Pro cable with my Casemate Gelli case, that it does push or distort the shape of the case right around the headphone jack a little bit in order to get the plug fully seated, but it's not so stiff that it wont let me plug in the earphones.

All Apple needs to do is put a non-conductive coating on the external antennae, which I think they should have done before shipping these.

6a00d83451e0d569e20133f23cfd0f970b-800wiSo simple, so elegant ghetto. :palm:

Technical question to people familiar with the issue -- does this do anything to capacitance? Does "not touching it" really help the problem? So someone is going to come out with non-conducting hand protector specifically for the iPhone? Is there going to be an Apple iGlove?

I listened to an RF engineer speak about this last week. Short version - thin layers are going to have a negligible affect on signal attenuation, at least according to someone whose life's work centered around this very thing (antenna design). His stance was that something at least as thick as Apple's bumper case was going to be necessary to get the job done.

A couple things about the antenna issue.

1. Although I definitely have had trouble getting SMSs out when holding it "that way" in a marginal-reception area, its performance with a slightly modified grip has been really good. Today I had no problem sending an SMS in moments from a basement-level bookstore in London, which was a very marginal reception area for my previous phone.

2. Today I received my GelaSkin for the phone (lots of fun designs available, or you can upload your own custom art / photography as I did). It includes side pieces which prevent most (probably 95% but not 100%) skin contact with the sides of the phone. With the side pieces in place, holding it "that way" at my desk at home leaves me with one bar instead of zero bars as before. A useful improvement, with no change in how the phone fits in the Marware holster that I like.

Here's how it looks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3370[/ATTACH]

All in all at this point I'm quite happy with the phone. YMMV naturally.

post-1442-12951157746129_thumb.jpg