Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

What means this?

That iOS4 is slow as hell on both iPhone 3G and 2nd gen touch, with not enough benefits to outweigh the performance hit?

And also there's no easy way to downgrade back to previous firmware/OS, and even if you manage to do so, you probably killed off all contents in the process.

Yes, thank you, but what is the: "doing the right thing with the "4" " part mean?

They are giving everyone a case for their phone, which helps alleviate the exposed antenna issue. They also went a long way towards showing that most, if not all phones suffer from something similar and that they have the resources to test their own phones in-house better than consumer reports. They also admitted that the reason the 4 may suffer from more obvious antenna issues is that it's obvious where to hold the phone if you want to attenuate the signal. All in all I'd say it was about the best you could expect out of a large corporate entity. The case solution will probably cost them ~$100M in combined costs and loss of revenue.

They also went a long way towards showing that most, if not all phones suffer from something similar...
First of all, I believe this. But I don't think it's a matter of "everyone else is doing it, why can't we?" I think it's of a matter of (a) some phones are more prone to it than others -- mechanical engineering -wise; and (B) some phones are more prone to it than others -- ergonomically. (I.E. the actual mechanics of each phones' antenna, and where the bad spot is relative to how most people hold it, respectively.) I think they downplayed this aspect from what little I know, and I am definitely looking forward to more information on this in the future (and I have no doubt there will be more information, as every cell phone company in the world rushes to prove that they're better for whatever reason). (I'm not looking forward to filtering out the information from the copy, however.)

Oh, and whoever the author of that "Apple has to issue a recall" article is probably eating his hat right now.

Peter,

Without a doubt they attempted to spin the situation to their best advantage. But in the end their offer was a pretty nice and generous one and the quoted data from AT&T is pretty compelling evidence that while the iPhone 4 is worse from a reception perspective it's not by a landslide. I am curious to know how many calls per 100 each is dropping, but I'm guessing we'll never know.

I tried the update tonight as I could not leave the iPhone plugged in to charge as it kept syncing over and over again. Of course the install failed so I had to restore the phone completely as it got stuck in the update screen and giving me the error 9 that everyone has been getting. Restoring everything now. Pretty miserable software update but I did notice it also updated firmware during the process.

Not any less scientific than the videos that started all the crying about the iPhone.

Tried it holding the iPhone and the Incredible at the office and the Incredible dropped one bar almost immediately when held on the bottom and the iPhone did nothing when doing the "death grip". Several tests showing the same occurrence with several other phones but I guess since all those phones together will not sell as many this year as the iPhone did in the first weekend it is not a big deal. ;)

after watching the video of the press meeting i have a wild theory and i wonder what you all think, then again i know you all think i am nuts so..but anyway i have to say Apple (to me) basicly admitted they knew before this could be a problem, took a gamble, developed a bandaid in case the gamble came back to bite them in the ass, and still does not have a long term fix..at least of what they are telling now

Apple knew this could be a problem..

Apple being the first for many things knew building the antenna into the siding of the phone or the actual casing of the phone could develop this Antenna gate issue for some people. whenever a human touches any type of Antenna their is a reaction to the antenna either positive or negative to from our body, like with the old rabbit ears on tv's for example, it was easy to adjust them and get a clear pic, but when you let go and walked away the clear picture on the tv went byebye and you had to adjust again. different people have different effects with Attenuation (not sure if this is the correct word i should use, but you should get the idea), and Apple most likely knew this and admitted it threw the hard facts as only very few returns or Apple care calls came from people experiencing this while many many others had no clue why people are complaining of this issue. i am sure Apple knew only a very tiny number of people can affect the Antenna negativily enough to actually drop a call...

They took the Gamble..

Apple loves to be the first to do things, they brag how they were the first for this's and that's over the years in personal computers, mp3 players, cell phones , app store , etc. so Apple basicly being the first to bring the antenna into the body of the phone when the market itself never did this before would not be a crazy concept for someone to accept, yet no other company has done this before. there are some amazingly advanced cell phone companies out there, well they know their shit to say the least. Motorola for example has a huge history with design and manufacture of stuff most people wouldn't believe that come/came from a cell phone company, like how Motorola makes the chips in home theater receivers to decode surround sound is an example of the depth of this company no one really knows about. point is these other cell companies are smart to say the least, so why didn't these other cell companies mass market an outside antenna design before Apple? my guess is they were not willing to take the gamble with the Attenuation or signal loss in the very low percentage of people as Nokia today has said they choose signal reliability over design anyday. point is Apple took a gamble..(which still can pay off very nicely for them)

the Ban-daid Apple made, just incase all hell breaks loose..

i tried 6 cases with my iPhone 4 to see if any of them "fixed" the problem and one did..the Apple Bumper case. out of 5 third party cases non of them "fix" the antenna-gate issue at all, really how hard could it be to make a case to fix this problem? and why is the one case that Apple makes and sells seems to fix the problem? with all the fancy testing stuff Apple brags they have you dont you think for a second Apple developed the bumper to actually work as a fix if it was needed...if the small percentage of people may see this issue became big news? if you don't then then i must remind you Apple is using the bumper case exactly as a ban-daid to "fix" the issue. they also said they will offer a choice of select cases cause Apple themselves could not make enough bumper's, i wonder what Apple looks for in their selection of third party cases, it could be the case would actually fix the issue at hand..

long term fix..

Apple said they will offer a free bumper to everyone who buys till Sept 30th, even then they may extend the offer to later buys. why the fuck would Apple "may extend"? here is a quote i got from 9to5mac "Connie at Bloomberg (The very same with the "Bullshit story about the antenna"): "Why Sept. 30 for case limit?" Answer from Jobs: "We just are going to wait and see, maybe we'll have a better idea. It's just a chance to say we'll reevaluate it in September."

my bet is Apple is going to see how much of this Antenna issue is still in the news and if its enough then a redesign of the Antenna on the iPhone4, basically moving the break between the two Antennas to another part of the phone, like maybe move it to the top side where people in general wont make contact with it as easily as they do on the lower left side..just an idea of a small redesign if needed.

i have had two seperate iPhone4's and both have the antenna issue and the proxy sensor issue, two out of three million! i should play the fucking lotto with my luck..ugh