Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Having just gone through the experience of buying an iPhone through Verizon, I think I have insight into the problem(s). First, Verizon brick & mortar stores are awful. I've found that the mom & pop shops that are allowed to carry Verizon phones are usually better. Regardless, I went to two different Verizon stores to try to get an iPhone. No iPhones available. But what was weird was that they wouldn't answer the simple question directly:

Me: "Do you have iPhones in stock?"

Them: "Well sir what would you like to do?"

Me: "Upgrade my wife's phone and walk out of here in 5-10 minutes with an iPhone."

Them: "Well, we can help you and then maybe order one..."

Me: "Do you have them in stock right now?"

Them: "Well, let's just see what we can do and then we can get one delivered..."

Me: "So, the answer is 'No.' Just say that first next time."

What the above conversation tells me is that the B&M stores could be holding stock for people who are going to pay full price or are switching from ATT. Their evasiveness led me to believe they had iPhones in stock. If you have them in stock, sell the fuckers. Otherwise, you won't sell as many. I didn't even take Econ 101 and I know this.

Anyway, the online ordering process through Verizon is much better, though not necessarily smooth. Regardless, I was able to get a 32GB iPhone for the Missus for $199. I don't think that deal would have been honored at a VZW B&M or an Apple store based on past experience. So, I guess the bottom line is that Verizon's customer service continues to suck. But the reception is still the best in NYC. But VZW has a very arrogant air about this launch and it does not serve them well. If I wasn't desperate to get this for Missus M. I would have told them to take their nonexistent iPhones and shove them where the sun don't shine.

/rant

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was able to get my iPhone 4 to sync with 2 different computers.

Followed the instructions from these 2 sites:

DB Cloner

Library code from iPhone

You won't need the 2nd one if you have access to the computer that your iPhone is already linked with.

Worked great, no need to jailbreak.

What happens if both computers don't have the same items in their library? Does each computer sync a portion of it's files, and the iPod retains a mix of the two available at the same time.

What happens if both computers don't have the same items in their library? Does each computer sync a portion of it's files, and the iPod retains a mix of the two available at the same time.

I have completely different libraries on the computers but it doesn't matter because I have both of them set to manual sync.

I don't think auto-sync on either would work but I haven't tried so not sure.

You could always give it a try and see if you get the Erase Content message.

Edit: I have never used auto sync but my guess would be that you could not have both set to auto or it would always be trying to match libraries and you would have to maintain briefcase libraries to maintain continuity.

If just one was set to auto I have no idea what it would do.

Edited by MoonShine

The original hack for this was manual and had to be tweaked when updates came out.

According to an unverified comment from here you have to either:

a) Have both iTunes set to Manual Management

or

b: Have both iTunes set to automatic management and use something like FolderShare to sync your libraries

Edited by MoonShine

The original hack for this was manual and had to be tweaked when updates came out.

According to an unverified comment from here you have to either:

a) Have both iTunes set to Manual Management

or

b: Have both iTunes set to automatic management and use something like FolderShare to sync your libraries

Thanks for the help. My main iTunes library is 998Gb on an external drive with the iMac, and my Macbook Pro internal HD Library is 280gb, but I use automatic management. So I won't be syncing on two computers after all, since I don't want to resort to an external iTunes library on the MacBook Pro just yet. But I'm considering a Seagate USB 3.0/FireWire 800 external 1.5Tb drive for portable, and then switching to a smaller SSD in the MacBook, at which point this might work out better.

• 4 weeks later...

So Apple just killed it today, iOS wise.

This just destroyed one of two things RIM had going for it; BBM and a hardware keyboard. I feel sorry for the folks in Waterloo today. The simple fact that it goes beyond the iPhone to other iOS devices is HUGE.

Notifications seem they'll finally be up to par with everyone else. This was a huge problem with iOS on the iPhone since the beginning, and it looks like it will be a well executed implementation.

There was quite a bit of other stuff mentioned that I can't even remember, but I was watching two live streams while it was going on and I was rather impressed with a lot of it. A year ago I didn't think they'd get to this point til iOS 6.

**BRENT**

I finally joined the iphone4 brigade and I really like it so far. I spent a while playing around with every Android phone at Verizon and with all of them I noticed slight "delay" when flicking over app screens. Also the screen on the iphone looked the best to me, pixels stuck out too much on all the others. Otherwise I could live with any of them. And the pharm software to calculate dosages was already available on iphone but not yet on Android. The only thing that sucks is having to pay a cell bill again after having free service for a year :(

Apple now sells unlocked contract free phones in the US - starting at $649, won't work with T-Mo 3g, but does work on their voice service. Clearing out the remainder of their inventory before the next generation, I'd guess. Bring your own micro-sim.

• 1 month later...