Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

So, my 16 year old kid broke her iPhone 3GS glass screen today. Despite using a rubber case the glass contacted a small rock in the school parking lot. When the same thing happened a year ago we paid the Apple store $199 to replace the phone.

This time I have a dead iPhone 3GS sitting here that we can use as a donor phone for the screen, if I can figure out how to do that (it's out of warranty). I think a local shop will do the swap for about $35, and maybe it will continue to serve her until she's eligible for an upgrade in 6 months. However, she complains that the mute button is too sensitive and if bumped the phone vibrates, making her think she has a call or a text when she doesn't. She's hoping for a new phone so that issue goes away too, and it would be faster if Apple will replace the phone this weekend at a discount. She's a good kid and works hard, and I don't want to stress her out over this.

What would you guys do? The cost is only a part of the issue. There's also the issue of losing the jailbreak with a new phone (iOS 4.3.5 jailbreak is still tethered), but the only jailbreak app she uses is My3G which lets her update apps or download videos that are larger than 20mb over 3G. Another issue is that we'd end up with a lower resale value since a new phone can't be unlocked yet (I'm sure an untethered jb will come out for the current version of iOS, but the unlock is much less certain).

Isn't the iPhone 5 coming out very soon? If so, I'd see if I could get it repaired and hold off until the new phone comes out.

Speaking of which, I'm betting that AT&T won't let you grandfather your unlimited data plan if you want to get iPhone 5/4s/etc. at a discount. There're already talks of both AT&T and Verizon restricting FaceTime over 3G (expected new feature on iOS5) to those with tiered data plans.

Well, my daughter isn't eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone 4 or 5 at the usual $199/$299 price point, at least not for another 6 months. She'd have to pay as much as $499 for an early iphone upgrade before February and I wouldn't do that. But Apple has had a policy for a while where some cracked screen phones can get replaced for $199 when you aren't eligible for an upgrade. They did that for us about a year ago. If she didn't have to wait 6 months I'd not spend the money to fix it now.

So, I can leave the house in 45 minutes for the only Apple genius appt that was open today, and pay them $199 to replace it now, which would make my daughter very happy. Or, she can use the broken phone till monday and then be without it for 3 more days while the other local repair shop gets around to replacing the screen with the parts from my dead phone, for under $50.

Also, so far ATT does let you upgrade hardware and keep your unlimited plan, at least for now.

What I'm not sure of is if I fix this phone on the cheap, in 6 months when she can sell her phone to get a new one is there really going to be much increased re-sale value for a 2 year old unlocked jailbroken 3GS over the value of a 6 month old 3GS that isn't jb and unlocked? iOS 5 will be out then, and people will more likely want iPhone 4 or 5, and they can buy a 4 already unlocked.

[edit, now that i think of it, I might even keep the old phone as a spare when she upgrades in 6 mo, since I've needed a spare a few times in the past and my current spare is dead]

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Is the phone usable with the screen broken? I've seen a LOT of people use their phones with a cracked screen. Tell her to deal, or let her pay for the screen replacement herself. There's NO way I'd drop 199$ on a 3GS right now.

I just have a feeling that if you fix a 200$ phone for her now, what happens when she wrecks a 15,000$ car when she's 19? Does daddy swoop in and fix that/buy a new car? If the mindset is "if I break it, daddy will fix it" is solidified at this age, I have a feeling it will be more expensive down the road. (This comes more from the viewpoint of a kid who was doing OK as a teenager, and had someone to bail him out, then lost that ability a few years down the road, than as a parent. I think it'd be easier to start dealing with now, than later.)

On the parental side... I love when I can do stuff for my kids, but I also wind up having to say no a lot. "You shouldn't have broken it, and you're not getting another one, so you'll have to do without" is just as tough for me to say as for them to hear.

**BRENT**

P.S. This message has been brought to you under heavy medication, still. Coherency hopeful, but not expected.

Fix the phone, she'll be ok and learn that it's not necessary to roll through these devices like they didn't cost something in the first place.

After your post I got a clue and canceled the Apple Genius appointment, and plan to get the screen and the newer battery from the spare dead phone installed into her cracked phone at a local shop on Monday. I confirmed it will only be $35 and they'll need the phone for two days. In October I am getting an iPhone 5 and my wife wants my iPhone 4, and then we'll have her old 3GS as a spare iPhone again. They do come in handy.

The cracked screen still works and I put a screen protector on to keep it from cutting her. I found an old unlocked Sony 810i candy bar phone that I got in 2008 and I can move her SIM to that while they fix her iphone. She was very agreeable to this, and felt bad that it fell out of her pocket while she was doing sports med training at a school soccer game - she was rushing through the parking lot with arms full of water for the players and couldn't catch it before it hit the ground.

As a note, when the kids got iPhones 18 months ago, they all paid for them by selling their old iPod videos and Nanos and from their savings. We made them get the cheaper 16gb versions as well. We switched from verizon to ATT when my wife's work started reimbursing her for her smartphone and ATT gives us 24% off as a corporate discount. Although they stopped paying for my wife's phone this month we still get the 24% off.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-5-cases-iphone-4s-cases/iphone-5-cases-iphone-4s-cases,default,pg.html?utm_source=bgr&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=iphone-5-cases&cid=201109BGR

So Otterbox is saying they'll make cases for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s or "whatever it turns out to be."

From the page:

THE NEXT iPHONE

"Of course we’re making a case for it! Like everyone else, we’re waiting to find out exactly what ‘it’ is. We’re eagerly anticipating the moment Tim Cook steps up to the podium to enlighten and delight us all. Whatever it turns out to be, we’ll have iPhone 4s cases or iPhone 5 cases for you!"

I have a feeling they know a little something...

**BRENT**

I'll upgrade. Coming from the 3GS, and I love the design of the 4. Since its new to me I'm pretty excited.

Earlier this year I was foaming at the mouth for a larger screen on my mobile phone, but after I got the iPad that urge went away. I guess the times I really wanted a larger screen was when I was at home, and now the iPad fills that need. On the go it would be nice to have a bigger screen, but the iPhone's screen size is fine with me.

Not me. I talk to myself all the fucking time. Now it will at least be justified. Damn voices....

biggrin.png

I'll upgrade. Coming from the 3GS, and I love the design of the 4. Since its new to me I'm pretty excited.

This. Wife and I held out when 4 hit. Now we will have a hand-me-down 3GS for my son plus a backup for when he inevitably drops and breaks it. rolleyes.gif