Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Yep and nope. Have to go more expensive routes for that.

What would the options be then?

Onewould be to find a decent dac that does optical (not sure if there is anything in the headamp pico size territory though. I could put my old iriver to use as a trasnsport.

I gather the ipod touch is not an option to consider at all then?

apologies, i probably did not phrase the question correctly.

The ipod as a transport bit is clear enough and yes, I have looked the various options (pure, wadia, cambridge audio etc) for a digital out. All of these are desk based solutions.

I am looking at a portable setup i.e ipod/iphone -> connector -> portable dac&amp -> headphones.

From what I have read so far this does not seem to be possible. I'll investigate non-ipod solutions then.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks interesting

http://www.tuaw.com/...or-audiophiles/

The US$650 V-MODA VAMP, available today from V-MODA.com and Amazon.com, is a rather different iPhone 4/4S case that packs a lot of power and sophistication in to a solid metal casing.

This isn't just a battery case, although it packs a 2200 mAh battery. It uses an audiophile-grade digital-to-analog converter (DAC) to extract the digital audio signal of the iPhone, and then runs it through a two-channel 150 mW amplifier (five times more powerful than that built into the iPhone) to bump up the signal.

The VAMP has two audio processing modes built-in: the PURE mode processes audio to provide the truest sounding audio playback, while a VQ mode adds a "slight spatial 3D soundstage, tightened bass, and increased treble attack" to punch up the sound.

Plus optical digital output...

prvamptopimage.jpg

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

• 2 weeks later...

So I am going to trade in my Evo 4G for an iPhone 4s. Any real reason to consider anything more than 16Gb since I will not be using it to listen to music (except Pandora and Spotify) and no movies?

Any cases people really like?

Edited by morphsci

Apple Bumper and no screen protector. Went case-less for 6 months with my 3GS before getting my 4s. Went with the bumper because it's easy to get off to use my ōlloclip lenses and prevents the back and front panels (and camera lens, which is a softer plastic) from getting scratched. I've had it since Oct, and knock on wood, still looks brand new.

Don/t use metal cases they will kill your reception. I had a bunch of cases and this one best and the cheapest nice case of them all, made from mill spec thermo resin, same material they using to make their mill toys.

http://store.magpul....duct/MAG451/125

I have green for almost a year and looks like i just got it, buy two same shipping.

Edited by vvs_75

So I am going to trade in my Evo 4G for an iPhone 4s. Any real reason to consider anything more than 16Gb since I will not be using it to listen to music (except Pandora and Spotify) and no movies?

Any cases people really like?

1080p video uses up a lot of space, and apps for the retina display caused many apps to become bloated. I would get the largest one you can afford, no less than 32gb, but that's me.

Plus, I think only about 14GB is actually available for storage. And if you get too close to zero space remaining, then you can't update larger apps over WiFi and have to plug into iTunes to update the apps.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

• 1 month later...