Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

So, will our digital docks still work, with said adapter if the dock doesn't have a std USB jack? I know the Nuforce iDo, CLAS, and HP-P1 have a USB jack, so they shouldn't need an adapter, while the Wadia and Denon or iPure docks will.

it should work with docks that take the digital output. the ones that use analog output, nope.

So, will our digital docks still work, with said adapter if the dock doesn't have a std USB jack? I know the Nuforce iDo, CLAS, and HP-P1 have a USB jack, so they shouldn't need an adapter, while the Wadia and Denon or iPure docks will.

That's a good question, because Apple likes to require the authentication chip to access the digital stream. I wonder if the USB ports on them have an authentication chip?

Edited by Nebby

Sooo, Justin we need you to make a Pico Slim with digital dock built-in, Please?

Oh, on another note - I also am convinced that my LOD > Pico Slim has a bigger/deeper/wider soundstage and better bass extension than plugging my IEM directly into the iPhone headphone jack. I will have to compare the iPhone 4S LOD to the "headphone jack with a mini>mini" for feeding the amp.

Is it possible that IF the headphone out and line-out are actually the same, that it's just that the iPhone can drive a high impedance amp load more linearly than it can a low impedance headphone? Could that be enough to account for the difference in sound quality, such that feeding the headphone out into the Pico Slim would actually be just as good as line-out into Slim?

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

That's a good question, because Apple likes to require the authentication chip to access the digital stream. I wonder if the USB ports on them have an authentication chip?

They must have one, because you just plug a 30-pin to USB cable in them and they pull digital from the iDevice. In these devices like HP-P1, CLAS and iDo we should be able to just plug in the new Lightning cable to phone and dock instead.

Sooo, Justin we need you to make a Pico Slim with digital dock built-in, Please?

if I did, the DAC would have to be worse than what's already in the iPhone. battery life would be only about 4 hours with a DAC like whats in the Pico USB DAC. and subtract from that whatever power is required by the Apple circuitry. this is why, unfortunately, the solutions that do take digital out from the Apple products are all bulky (they make you use the full size USB plug too)

Edited by justin

They must have one, because you just plug a 30-pin to USB cable in them and they pull digital from the iDevice. In these devices like HP-P1, CLAS and iDo we should be able to just plug in the new Lightning cable to phone and dock instead.

Ah, I thought they were the actual docs with a dock connector. That makes sense.

if I did, the DAC would have to be worse than what's already in the iPhone. battery life would be only about 4 hours with a DAC like whats in the Pico USB DAC. and subtract from that whatever power is required by the Apple circuitry. this is why, unfortunately, the solutions that do take digital out from the Apple products are all bulky (they make you use the full size USB plug too)

It would be nice if there were more options for portable digital docks than the CLAS (no amp) and HP-P1 (poor low volume control when I tried one).

It would be nice if there were more options for portable digital docks than the CLAS (no amp) and HP-P1 (poor low volume control when I tried one).

blame apple. with plug-n-play USB DACs looking more and more possible on Android players (even Windows mobile?), iOS digital output isnt all it used to be.

well they offered a price lock type thing which i didn't understand. a student explained it as you sell it to gazelle and lock in the price and then send it in when you get your new phone. I saw this briefly on the website as well but then forgot about it and well here i am not.

Edited by crappyjones123

Mike,

I think you can lock the price for 30 days through Gazelle to give yourself a buffer to get the new phone. I can't see a good reason to replace the 4S, but see the logic moving on from the 4's. And the hassle incurred by actually selling the phones will easily be offset by the total and complete lack of hassle with Gazelle.

Lightning 30-pin adapter works with analog audio, "iPod Out" doesn't mean what you think it means http://m.tuaw.com/20...o-ipod-out-doe/

Yeah, that's what I was hoping, I saw tonight the Apple Store description is updated "

This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported."

RWA is already tossing out rumors that they may try to mod these docks, which have a DAC in them. I really want to know what kind of DAC Apple is using to get analog out of the digital lightning port. And, is Lightning capable of doing USB 3.0 speeds? If not they dropped the ball there.

BTW, it says "USB Audio" so, does that mean only Apple's version into a digital audio dock, or can we plug in a USB DAC like we can with iPad and CCK? And, I read another rumor that Apple will have HDMI and VGA adapters in the future for the Lightning port.

PS: Ordered a pair of iPhone 5 right when sales started at 1:02AM - it went much smoother than any of the previous years.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict