Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

i'll have to wait for Larry to tell me if the Pico DAC still works on the new iPad w/ iOS 6

Heh, not yet. So here's a funny story.

I've spent the past 15 hours fixing iTunes Match and recovering hundreds of lost playlists. This after my daughter at college accidentally turned on Match and didn't like having 1500 new playlists added to her Mac, so she proceeded to delete said playlists. When I sync'd my iPad and iPhone this morning most of my music was removed, since I organize my music and sync based on playlists that were gone.

I mostly use Match so that we can play all our music on our Apple TV's without needing to leave a computer turned on with iTunes loaded. ATVs really should be able to read music off an NAS without having to jailbreak the thing, especially since iTunes for the Mac can play the music residing on the NAS. If not for that I would have never turned Match on.

My iTunes Library and databases reside on a 3TB external drive that was last backed up on 8/31/12, but somehow I'd had the foresight to save a copy of the iTunes database on 9/10/12 when I did an intermediate manual backup of new media to the NAS. But every time I restored the backup then iTunes match would delete the playlists immediately upon launching iTunes. I'm not proud that it took me 2 hours to realize I could prevent the deletion if I unplugged my ethernet and killed the internet.

Once I restored the database successfully, and created 40-50 or so new playlists that were still gone, iTunes would error out when updating iTunes match. It took another 8 hours to figure out that there were 8 corrupted music files in my library that were crashing the match, although they weren't a problem before. It turns out the copies on iCloud were bad too, and had to be deleted.

So, I don't want to F'up the iPad with an update to iOS 6 right now, until I know my iTunes library is stable and working well for a few days. Also, because I love Google Maps and use it a lot, and I find that Navigon is more difficult to get a good look at my entire route from overhead when I want. Heck, I may even wait until Google Maps is released as a download. It depends on how much I like Apple maps on the iPhone 5 that arrived at 10:30AM and hasn't come out of the box yet...

Heh, not yet. So here's a funny story.

I've spent the past 15 hours fixing iTunes Match and recovering hundreds of lost playlists. This after my daughter at college accidentally turned on Match and didn't like having 1500 new playlists added to her Mac, so she proceeded to delete said playlists. When I sync'd my iPad and iPhone this morning most of my music was removed, since I organize my music and sync based on playlists that were gone.

I mostly use Match so that we can play all our music on our Apple TV's without needing to leave a computer turned on with iTunes loaded. ATVs really should be able to read music off an NAS without having to jailbreak the thing, especially since iTunes for the Mac can play the music residing on the NAS. If not for that I would have never turned Match on.

My iTunes Library and databases reside on a 3TB external drive that was last backed up on 8/31/12, but somehow I'd had the foresight to save a copy of the iTunes database on 9/10/12 when I did an intermediate manual backup of new media to the NAS. But every time I restored the backup then iTunes match would delete the playlists immediately upon launching iTunes. I'm not proud that it took me 2 hours to realize I could prevent the deletion if I unplugged my ethernet and killed the internet.

Once I restored the database successfully, and created 40-50 or so new playlists that were still gone, iTunes would error out when updating iTunes match. It took another 8 hours to figure out that there were 8 corrupted music files in my library that were crashing the match, although they weren't a problem before. It turns out the copies on iCloud were bad too, and had to be deleted.

So, I don't want to F'up the iPad with an update to iOS 6 right now, until I know my iTunes library is stable and working well for a few days. Also, because I love Google Maps and use it a lot, and I find that Navigon is more difficult to get a good look at my entire route from overhead when I want. Heck, I may even wait until Google Maps is released as a download. It depends on how much I like Apple maps on the iPhone 5 that arrived at 10:30AM and hasn't come out of the box yet...

post #543

I do not like Apple maps one bit. There is extremely poor contrast between the background and the roads and the lettering, and text is just too small, thin and light to read street names when it's on my dashboard. And normal landmarks aren't labeled anymore. It also takes longer to load maps, and so you get to see the "Holo-deck Grid" way too often when scrolling around the map. And you can't zoom into the satellite images as deeply as with Google (not a deal breaker like the other issues).

With Google maps at least the text would enlarge and get thicker when you zoomed in just right, and Google maps is a lot easier to read from the driver seat. When I needed turn by turn directions I just pulled out Navigon instead, but in general I preferred the bird's eye view of Google with the highlighted route better.

I WANT GOOGLE BACK

So glad I left AT&T, regardless of the fact that I was grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan and I could talk and use data at the same time. My data speeds on the LTE are four to eight times faster than my wife's AT&T iPhone 4S. And my reception and call quality are absolutely stellar. I am very pleased with my decision to switch to Verizon.

Gotta say the iPhone 5 is a real WIN in my books. The bigger screen, super fast LTE support and a chipset 2x as fast as the 4S has made me a very happy camper. I'm still a little pissed of the change in connectors to it. But at least there's a $30 adapter to the older version that is available (on the Apple Store site at least). SQ-wise, its the best iPhone yet.

Are there any non bulky cases that fit the iPhone and allow the jh16 to be plugged in without an adapter? I have tried two so far but the plastic housing on the hp jack is too close to the phone when plugged in and the cases don't allow for that kinda clearance.

I thought that was one of the problems with recent iPhones, not the cases -- does it even plug in without a case?