Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I'd get annoyed if my phone bent permanently. But, I also keep my iphone in a tough armor case, to prevent damage.

so Dan, can you give me a few recommendations for armored cases? I keep seeing Otter Case mentioned. I see a few options on Amazon. I guess it'd be better to significantly add bulk than the alternative... [emoji14]

I was about to shut down my computer when it finally did a sync.  Upon closing outlook, photoshop, dreamweaver, excel, chrome, IE, and explorer, the phone synced after a soft reset.

Apparently that was the magical combination.  Not the restore, or the other umpteen soft resets.

Edited by aardvark baguette

Lauren smashed her screen last weekend and with a 16GB 5, she didn't have the space to update to iOS 8.  On top of that, her iCloud backup appeared to have been corrupted so she couldn't do an OTA backup.  The combination left her unable follow the recommendation of a current backup and up-to-date OS when bringing it in to have the screen replaced.  I connected her phone to the iMac for the first time ever this morning, did a wired backup and was able to update to iOS 8 with less than 1GB free since the computer does all of the heavy lifting.  I'll delete her iCloud backup and try again for convenience's sake, but agree that rendundant backups are worth while.  Regardless, hardly the end of the world.

backups to a server are more complete than ota backups.  usb backups are more reliable than wifi.  That said, you're generally fine with ota.  I do local backups for peace of mind.

^Same. Takes 10 min. Not even syncing any music from iTunes now that I've moved to Spotify... so it's a complete afterthought.

Gotcha. Likewise everything is so cloud based for me with auto picture backup and streaming music services (previously spotify now all access) I guess I just have't needed to do a connected backup.

In no way trying to be a dick, just saying I haven't had to plug my phone into the computer for the past two years, unless I'm dragging and dropping some flac files.

Doesn't apple do ota updates? Are yall syncing just to copy music?

I've just always done everything locally without thinking about it.  I shuffle a few dozen albums to the phone every few days.

So yeah, you other iPhone 6/6+ users out there, don't upgrade to iOS 8.01!!! All other devices seem to be fine.

It bricked my cell service. Goddamn it, Apple. I thought we were better than this? I actually need to make some damn calls from the road today.

post-3084-0-42916600-1411583502.png

Edited by TMoney

I've been a long time big screen Android phone person. But having played with a 6+ in store, I'm sold. The build, screen, and camera quality are ridiculously good.

The millions of bent phone posts are totally unsurprising. iPhone users have to relearn phone pocketing protocol now. I've seen countless people sticking iPhones in their back pockets over the years. The rest of us learned not to do that 4 years ago. The 6+ did well in drop tests, so I don't have doubts about its construction.

At 950 bucks, it certainly isn't a value. But it's much less of a hassle to connect Apple stuff to external DACs. So the $200 dollar storage premium gets more millage than a $100 micro SD card would. And for those who just want to plug their IEMs into the headphone jack, Apple is the only company who gets noise floors low enough.

Edit: After watching the bend tests, I do have some doubts about its durability. The Note 3 was almost unscathed by the same test.

Edited by nnotis

From Macrumors.  I hope it helps:

Update 3: It appears that option-clicking on an iOS 8 file in iTunes will allow users to fix the issue without a restore. iMore has outlined the process:

1. Download iOS 8 for 
 or 

2. Option (Mac) or Control (Windows) click on Update. 

3. Choose the iOS 8 firmware file you downloaded in step 1. 

4. Let iTunes do its thing

• Like 2

So, anyone who cares to know the end result of my journey.

Call Apple support again, who called the store and confirmed they had stock.  Was told to go to the store for a replacement.

Got to the Apple store who told me they couldn't do anything without me have an appointment.

Setup an appointment for the next day as nothing else was available that day, only for them to tell me they have no replacements and will not for some unknown time.

So, I returned it and will continue to use my S4.

To add, I spent 35 minutes on hold before speaking to a live person, whose apology was that the wait time was worse earlier and I was lucky, gee thanks.

I can stream from services like pandora, TuneIn, Spotify with great results either over WiFi or Mobile data. However, iTunes Radio is not working for me. It says to any station I've tried "Station Unavailable" Can't figure this one out. I booted the phone, still the same. I can play (stream) itunes music from the cloud no problem (my music), just the radio streaming part is not working.