Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I got to play with a 6 Plus today when I ran into an old friend at work who's a bit of a phone geek as well (though firmly in the Apple camp after trying and returning an S4 last year.) On paper, it was the first iPhone that I seriously considered getting. Once I got to hold it it for a bit, I changed my mind. Like I've said, I've had a Note 2 (5.5" phone) for almost 2 years, so I'm pretty comfortable with larger phones. The 6 Plus seemed REALLY tall, even with a screen size I'm comfortable with. When I got back to a computer I checked the dimensions of the Note II vs iPhone 6 Plus. The 6 plus is 7mm (.27 inches) taller and 2.7mm (.1 inches). It's also 4.5mm taller and 0.8mm narrower than the 5.7" Note 4.

The ratio just felt really off to me. It seemed to me that the area above and below the screen was very close, if not the same. The circular button obviously needs the space on the bottom, but other than sticking with the aesthetic history of the phone, I don't understand why they couldn't have trimmer some from the top, unless it had to do with the camera.

Jack, have you played with an iPhone 6 Plus yet?

I was really hoping to like the iPhone 6 Plus in the flesh; I'd even considered it as the first iPhone I'd buy (I have used them in the past as my main phone for a while to give them a shot, but always stuck with other options.

FWIW, my buddy who bought the 6 Plus, he's thinking it's a bit on the large side, with the 6 a bit small. He thinks a 5" would have been just right.

**BRENT**

I got to play with both when we were up at the Apple store Wednesday night.  The 6 is very nice.  The size looks just about right.  I'd have to spend more time with the Plus to see if I could live with it day to day.  It would clearly allow me to be a one-device person, something I've wanted to move to for a long time. 

On another note, it looks like we might be moving to AT&T Next, simply because in addition to her screen being shattered, the frame on Lauren's phone is bent significantly as well.  That meant that instead of a $129 screen replacement it was a $269 phone replacement.  While Next doesn't end up looking like the best deal, it's not horrible and any drawbacks are easily set off by the replacement cost.  The plus is I could get a new phone, too.  So we shall see...

I got to play with a 6 Plus today when I ran into an old friend at work who's a bit of a phone geek as well (though firmly in the Apple camp after trying and returning an S4 last year.) On paper, it was the first iPhone that I seriously considered getting. Once I got to hold it it for a bit, I changed my mind. Like I've said, I've had a Note 2 (5.5" phone) for almost 2 years, so I'm pretty comfortable with larger phones. The 6 Plus seemed REALLY tall, even with a screen size I'm comfortable with. When I got back to a computer I checked the dimensions of the Note II vs iPhone 6 Plus. The 6 plus is 7mm (.27 inches) taller and 2.7mm (.1 inches). It's also 4.5mm taller and 0.8mm narrower than the 5.7" Note 4.

The ratio just felt really off to me. It seemed to me that the area above and below the screen was very close, if not the same. The circular button obviously needs the space on the bottom, but other than sticking with the aesthetic history of the phone, I don't understand why they couldn't have trimmer some from the top, unless it had to do with the camera.

Jack, have you played with an iPhone 6 Plus yet?

I was really hoping to like the iPhone 6 Plus in the flesh; I'd even considered it as the first iPhone I'd buy (I have used them in the past as my main phone for a while to give them a shot, but always stuck with other options.

FWIW, my buddy who bought the 6 Plus, he's thinking it's a bit on the large side, with the 6 a bit small. He thinks a 5" would have been just right.

**BRENT**

I have not played with a 6+ yet. Would be very interested to hold one in my hands and tinker with it.

I seem to like enormous phones, and I like glass/metal phones. Even if they are more fragile, they are easier and more pleasant to grip. So I'm betting I'll like the feel of the 6+.

verizon people..just changed my plan to $60/mo + taxes Unlimited Talk/Text/2GB data. no gotchas that i am aware of yet. Before, i was paying $108 w/ taxes for what I think was 900 minutes, 1000 texts, 2GB data. might have had the unlimited texts @ $10/mo in there, dont remember.

Edited by justin

yeah, fortunately the plan was quietly introduced in august, so you havent been getting screwed for too long

http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-now-offering-60-plan-with-2gb-data/

As an added incentive, those who finance their devices through Verizon Edge can save an additional $10 per month.

i'm going to do this as well. over 1 year, it costs $330 for an iPhone 6 64GB, with an upgrade available at the end of that 1 year. Compared to $300 for the same phone with an upgrade in 2 years on the usual contract

Edited by justin
  • Like 1

I've got an Optimus G Pro currently, which has an only slightly smaller body than the Note 2.  My only concern with the extra height of the 6+ is in regards to pocketability.  I found its thinness and rounded edges made for a very comfortable hold.  But as others said, it might not be wise to leave it naked.  Maybe there's a middle ground case that barely adds heft while offering just a touch of crash support.

Edit: maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-Premium-Lightweight-Absolutely-Bulkiness/dp/B00MEZ5H9S

Edited by nnotis

Weird.  At least the phone isn't bricked, just that the update won't proceed.

Weird. I've upgraded both iPhone and iPad without problems. At first it took a bit longer to find the 4G connection and seemed more fluctuating, but after a minute or so it worked apparently fine. I haven't phoned anyone yet.