Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

galaxy note 4 has shipped..definitely having cold feet. the biggest thing being not being able to reply to iMessages (and now, any texts) from my computer like with the iPhone. that alone is probably going to cost hundreds of $$ a year in productivity due to slower typing

Put those feet in a warm bath Justin, the Note 4 is awesome.  I played with one briefly and was highly impressed.  In basic mode, the screen is the best I've seen.  It also didn't seem to have the choppiness Samsung's crappy Touchwiz usually brings.  And if it does, there's always Cyanogenmod.  iMessage is really nice, but even every Apple user should install Hangouts.  I've yet to find a platform it doesn't work on.  Any computer you log into Chrome with will give you messages as they come in.  If you don't like Samsung's keyboard, I'd give the Swiftkey demo I try.  And If you hate the fake leather back, it won't be long before someone sells replacements.

I've had my 6+ for about 3 days now and I'm very impressed so far. I wasn't expecting the headphone jack to be so good with IEMs. It sounds slightly more focused than my mini 2, which makes it as good as most of my portable DAC/amps. like all other recent Apple devices, the noise floor is dead quite. I was contemplating a DX90, but there's not much point now.

I've been saying something similar on the other site. The iPhone 4s was one of my favorite sounding iPhones, and Apple screwed that up with the 5 and 5S, making them little bit more forward in the upper mids and more rolled off in the treble.

But I think they redeemed themselves with the audio output of the 6 and 6+, of which I have both. Frequency response is much better balanced and the soundstage is larger and less forward, although they still lack that ultimate micro detail and treble extension that I'd like. You can really hear this when you use an external DAC/amp like the CEntrance HiFi-M8 and compare the outputs.

The biggest benefit of using the HiFi-M8 is the ability to switch the output impedance from 1 ohm to 2 ohms or 10 ohms. The sound of an IEM can vary dramatically with the switch, and some IEM just sound better with 10 ohms, including the JH audio Roxanne (Jerry agrees). Others, like the Aur sonics IEM worked better with 1 to 2 ohm (Dale agrees).

I don't hear any issue with treble extension.  For me, the limitation is only in sense of depth.  Instruments/noises in a mix sound a little more 2 dimensional compared to what the Pico DAC does.  I think it's an issue of reproducing micro dynamics.  There are a lot of tiny details buried in those small dynamic changes.  You've got me curious about the M8 now.  I see there's a mini M8 about to be released too, which would make more sense for those only looking to use IEMs.  Hopefully it has the same DAC.

Justin, I'm guessing you're getting a Snapdragon 805 Note 4.  I've not been at all impressed by the audio of previous Snapdragon powered phones.  But the Note 4 will surely have robust USB audio support.  I imagine it'll work well with just about any portable USB DAC/Amp.

And I was thinking the same thing regarding the number of volume control positions.  

Edited by nnotis

I don't hear any issue with treble extension.  For me, the limitation is only in sense of depth.  Instruments/noises in a mix sound a little more 2 dimensional compared to what the Pico DAC does.  I think it's an issue of reproducing micro dynamics.  There are a lot of tiny details buried in those small dynamic changes.  You've got me curious about the M8 now.  I see there's a mini M8 about to be released too, which would make more sense for those only looking to use IEMs.  Hopefully it has the same DAC.

Justin, I'm guessing you're getting a Snapdragon 805 Note 4.  I've not been at all impressed by the audio of previous Snapdragon powered phones.  But the Note 4 will surely have robust USB audio support.  I imagine it'll work well with just about any portable USB DAC/Amp.

And I was thinking the same thing regarding the number of volume control positions.

The mini M8 uses the same DAC, and just has less power. We tried it with some K701 at RMAF and it didn't drive them very well vs the larger HiFi-M8.

But for IEM the Pico DAC/Slim combo with CCK is hard to beat, although with my low impedance V-MODA M-100 the HiFi-M8 or Encore mDAC had a little better synergy. The Pico Slim is still surprising with LCD-2 and HE-560, but the HD800 don't get enough power although the sound is good. I use it a lot with my iPod nano filled with lossless and a really good LOD, since it's such a tiny package.

I picked the M8 because I could carry one DAC/ amp that can be used with my Mac, phone or iPad, and can be tuned to work with all of my headphones and IEM (except for HE-6 and stats) via a combo of switches for output impedance, gain, bass boost or treble boost.

Just pull the SIM.  Shouldn't be a problem.  If paranoid, just run it in airplane mode.

what would be required to keep both phones active? swapping SIM cards? which i dont think is even possible, i think they use different size ones. Have to buy a 2nd line from verizon? 

Those with 6 pluses - how long does it take for your phone to be charged from <10% to 100%? I've been charging mine for 2 hours and its gone from 3% to 43%. On the apple website, there is no mention of how long it should take for a full charge. All the articles online seem to keep mentioning using an iPad charger to charge the phone faster but that isn't an answer. 

Thanks for providing information I already mentioned in my post. As usual, an entirely useless post, Dan. Thank you for your input.

Well if you had looked in the first Google result it says 3 hours. :palm: Also, quit being a cunt.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 1

The results on google vary largely between 30 minutes and 3 hours, the former being obviously wrong. That gives me n=1. I asked what kind of charge times people on here were getting but so far I haven't received a response to that question in particular. i looked on Google and didn't get a number that was repeated on enough/any websites to be considered trustworthy. At least, the numbers posted by members here would carry more weight with me. That being said, you can quit being a cunt yourself. 

I've never actually paid attention or timed the charge time on my iPhone 6+. I just plug it in at night and it's full of the morning. However I would not consider three hours to be excessive charge time when it runs so long that I can plug it in every other night if I wanted to. I imagine 1-2 hours of charge time could have it run the full day.

post-905-0-75300200-1414898765_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-48540500-1414898847_thumb.jpg

The results on google vary largely between 30 minutes and 3 hours, the former being obviously wrong. That gives me n=1. I asked what kind of charge times people on here were getting but so far I haven't received a response to that question in particular. i looked on Google and didn't get a number that was repeated on enough/any websites to be considered trustworthy. At least, the numbers posted by members here would carry more weight with me. That being said, you can quit being a cunt yourself.

Ooo we're a feisty little troll tonight. And just for future reference, " No you are!" Is not a clever retort.