Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

9 hours ago, HiWire said:

I'll give the wipe a try later on. There's nothing much installed on the iPad, though.

I don't think it matters whether or not there's anything on it from a storage perspective.  It's got to be a system resource flaw or something like that (within the OS) because even with nothing running on my phone it would drain at 20-30% an hour.  It was like all the processing power was stuck on max even though it wasn't asked to do anything.  

I just realized it's going to be a pain in the ass to re-download all the apps because Apple removed the App Store functions from iTunes and my wi-fi is slow. First world problems... they should create a separate iOS section in App Store on macOS and Windows. That would reduce the downloading time, especially for people with multiple devices.

The other thing I noticed yesterday was that I like the idea of wireless charging because you don't have to take out the Lightning headphone adapter. One foot stuck in the past, the other in the future... the reviews of Bluetooth headphones have not been impressive.

Edited by HiWire

3 hours ago, HiWire said:

The other thing I noticed yesterday was that I like the idea of wireless charging because you don't have to take out the Lightning headphone adapter. One foot stuck in the past, the other in the future... the reviews of Bluetooth headphones have not been impressive.

can confirm this works like a charm. conference calls for work with my earbuds plugged in and the phone on the charging pad. 

very happy with the 8+ so far. and a battery that actually acts like a battery.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HiWire said:

I just realized it's going to be a pain in the ass to re-download all the apps because Apple removed the App Store functions from iTunes and my wi-fi is slow. First world problems... they should create a separate iOS section in App Store on macOS and Windows. That would reduce the downloading time, especially for people with multiple devices.

the AirPods are great (at least for casual listening/running/workouts)!

8 hours ago, shellylh said:

the AirPods are great (at least for casual listening/running/workouts)!

I'm glad to hear that... have you heard about this AirPod audio hack: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/16664958/airpods-bass-hack-diy-foam-covers-how-to

I'd be hesitant to try it myself, but my bigger problem with Apple's earbuds has been that they always fall out of my ears.

I bought a set of Sennheiser HD1 In-Ear wired headphones a few months ago to replace my old Klipsch S4i after they died (after 8 years of good service). They work surprisingly well for me with Comply tips and they're a huge audio upgrade over the Klipsch at a similar price.

Edited by HiWire

4 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

To me it's really starting to sound like the battery has gone bad, for whatever reason, and iOS 11 is just a coincidence. I would make a genius bar appointment and have them test the battery.

Yup, most likely. On my SE I'm at 51% charge after 36 hours from the last charging on iOS 11.1.2

7 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

To me it's really starting to sound like the battery has gone bad, for whatever reason, and iOS 11 is just a coincidence. I would make a genius bar appointment and have them test the battery.

Certainly possible.  Trouble is that the nearest Apple store is an hour away, without traffic.  I'll try one of the battery health apps and see what the results are.

Jacob nailed it.  Design capacity of the battery should be 2900mAh, it's down to just 700mAh - yikes.  Given that this phone has had some other issues like the vibration motor going I don't think replacing the battery is worth it (throwing good $ at bad).  I think I'll chalk this up as the rare iPhone lemon and quit my bitching and move on.  A replacement is in the works that'll take care of things in the not-too-distant future and I'll figure something out for my upcoming trip.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, n_maher said:

Certainly possible.  Trouble is that the nearest Apple store is an hour away, without traffic.  I'll try one of the battery health apps and see what the results are.

Jacob nailed it.  Design capacity of the battery should be 2900mAh, it's down to just 700mAh - yikes.  Given that this phone has had some other issues like the vibration motor going I don't think replacing the battery is worth it (throwing good $ at bad).  I think I'll chalk this up as the rare iPhone lemon and quit my bitching and move on.  A replacement is in the works that'll take care of things in the not-too-distant future and I'll figure something out for my upcoming trip.

The battery tech is pretty mature, but I've seen Li-ion occasionally crap out well before their designed life.  It's possible that the battery has bulged, which has in turn damaged the vibration motor.  In that case, Apple would almost certainly give you a replacement refurb phone.  You could probably send it to them.  That way you could easily turn around and sell the replacement (assuming) and recoup some of the cost of the replacement.  Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get to the bottom of the issue.

• Like 1

If it weren't for the other failing parts on the phone (haptic engine, for one) I'd think more about the battery replacement option.  It's just hard to invest money in it, not knowing what'd be next to fail, and needing to travel for work next week and not wanting to worry about it.  So instead I threw money at my old 6 and had the screen fixed.  I tested its battery and despite two plus years of service time in my hands as well as being used when I bought it, it's still got 88% of it's original battery life.  So I'll rock that for the next few weeks. 

FYI - I was able to get in touch with Apple support (via Twitter) and while they wouldn't say how bad the battery was they could confirm that it failed diagnostic testing.  It was pretty amazing that within 8hrs of tweeting at them I had a senior tech support guy on the phone performing remote diagnostics and offering to facilitate the battery replacement either at an Apple store or sending it in.  

• Like 4