NKOTB - TTVJ/Millett 307A Headphone Amp

n_maher

First things first - I have no direct affiliation with this product or the vendor but I'm friendly with the designer. If that makes me biased, so be it, I guess I'm biased.

Now, onto the amp. Basically it's a single ended amp with transformer coupled inputs and outputs to provide balanced operation and was designed to drive anything from IEMs to the K1000 (via selectable outputs). The tube compliment consists of a 7N7 input tube and two 307A output tubes. More details are available on Todd's site.

I'm certainly looking forward to giving it a listen at CanJam even though it far exceeds the ability of my wallet. :)

c3a16b4a521c4d0875fdae0d61481eb3.image.729x550.JPG

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a little more attention to detail would help greatly; for example, the hex bolts or whatever they are on the transformers; surely these parts can be ordered in black?

And couldn't the transformers be mounted so that you are not looking dead on at the bolts, and instead are viewing the smooth thin side of the transformer? (maybe not, I dont know, but I think it would look nicer)

I'd also prefer to see the tubes in front of the transformers, but I guess that is subjective too.

It needs a knob job (:D) and outright part replacement for those ugly knobs, imo.

Not trying to crap on the design, just my $00.02 :angel:

That is a very impressive amp and I like the stab at the SP gold plated nonsense... ;D

Ah yes, my wicked mind only got the "built by semi-skilled labor" >:D

Seriously, this could be an interesting piece, i would like to hear it. At these price the Manley "phantom" 300B preamp could be a nice competitor! ;D

I can't help but compare this to Frank Cooter's amp, which may someday be available. The cost would be about the same. It would be very hard to beat Frank's amp's sound and aesthetically, there's no comparison. Frank's amp walks all over it. Even so, I look forward to listening (and maybe even seeing >:D) this amp at CJ.

I think a little more attention to detail would help greatly; for example, the hex bolts or whatever they are on the transformers; surely these parts can be ordered in black?

Take a Sharpie to them!

And couldn't the transformers be mounted so that you are not looking dead on at the bolts, and instead are viewing the smooth thin side of the transformer? (maybe not, I dont know, but I think it would look nicer)

You could, but then they'd be more likely to pick up hum from the power transformers and chokes.

I'd also prefer to see the tubes in front of the transformers, but I guess that is subjective too.

It's a form follows function issue, the signal path of the amp is laid out from back to front to give the shortest possible signal path. The input goes in the back and comes out the front in a straight line. If we do the standard layout where the tubes are in the front and the transformer out back, the input signal has to be brought up to the front, then fed through the circuit, and the output brought from the back to the front panel. Signal path is longer and there's more chance for picking up hum & noise.

Misc. notes. A CCS for the DHT filament supply and choke input HV PSU, nice.