NKOTB - TTVJ/Millett 307A Headphone Amp

n_maher

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Highly unlikely. Knowing how some of you feel about this I approached the idea with Pete during the meet. He said it was unlikely for a multitude of reasons but the first two that came to mind were that a) he's not a big fan of stats and that B) it would take a lot of time and engineering to do it right. Considering that when he does DIY projects he flat out refuses any sort of compensation I can understand why he wouldn't take on something that isn't particularly interesting to him and that would probably cost a fair amount of money and time.

Completely understandable. Thanks for asking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I took the plunge and ordered one of these beasts! Should be here by the end of the month. I will post pictures as soon as I get it. Then...CLASH OF THE TITANS!!!! B-52 vs. 307A!!! :kitty:

Sweet! I can't wait to read impressions and see some pictures, color me insanely jealous.

I took the plunge and ordered one of these beasts! Should be here by the end of the month. I will post pictures as soon as I get it. Then...CLASH OF THE TITANS!!!! B-52 vs. 307A!!! :kitty:

Nice work! It will be interesting to hear your perspective, but the 307A was such a killer that I think I can imagine the winner. For one thing, you could drive any dynamic cans at all with that beasty. As Nate said, pics will be mandatory -- I don't think I have seen any of the 307A in a system. Enjoy!

Congrats! I spent just enough time with this amp at CanJam to both wish I'd spent more and be glad that I didn't.

Read: The B52 sucks.

and

...yawn...

ZZZZZ.............

<put it up against something better!>

You all are a tough audience! I hope that the comparison of the 307A to the low-brow B-52 will provide at least a modicum of interest for the Head Case upper crust!

Seriously, I am stoked about getting the 307A and finally getting to hear the K-1000's driven properly. Riceboy very kindly lent me his K-1000's and, although I know I was driving them inadaquately via the headphone jack on my Cary SLI-80, they showed just enough that I think they will be AMAZING via the 307A.

Now if the 307A does smoke the B-52...

Decisions, decisions...

You all are a tough audience! I hope that the comparison of the 307A to the low-brow B-52 will provide at least a modicum of interest for the Head Case upper crust!
I certainly would be interested in your honest opinions on the subject. And ignore those others, they'll still read your comparison with interest. They may find it hard to believe if the 307A does anything but smoke (heh-heh) the B-52, but they'll still read it.

Todd has one in stock and one coming next week or so. I could have gotten the one he already had, but as I am on work travels for the next 2 weeks or so, I decided to wait for the one with "the new amp smell."

Todd said this will be the second 307A he has sold. Anyone know who got the first?

I'm debating between getting this or a stax OII setup as my next upgrade/addition. Either way, I think I'm going to stop upgrading for a while, and build up a nice savings first. In the past I tended to rush these things, and often had to stretch my budget uncomfortably thin.

But if I stay with dynamic headphones, its only a matter of time before I get this amp, provided its still available when I come around looking for it.

Given that its hand built by Mr. Millet himself, I seriously doubt my EAR HP4 could even compare to this. The Ear's got less of everything; tubes, transformers, inputs...