NKOTB - TTVJ/Millett 307A Headphone Amp

n_maher

because some people know what they're talking about and some don't :)

The transformer-coupled output is capable of driving virtually any headphones, including notoriously hard-to-drive models like the AKG K1000 and low-impedance phones like Grados. A selector switch allows the user to select balanced or unbalanced outputs, and provides two impedance settings to optimize coupling from the output tube to the load. A special setting for high-sensitivity in-ear monitors (IEM's) is provided as well.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it sounded really good. Very balanced, incredibly accurate and very good imaging/soundstage. If I were to liken it to anything else... it sounded like my SS1-XLR. It sounded like the ideal qualia sound which I had previously thought you could obtain with high end solid state.

I am positive if I had brought my amp there we could pick out some of the tube/transformer coupled sound differences but.. yeah I mean this amp is a serious testament to how accurate/neutral a transformer coupled tube amp can be. As with the best amps there was no shallow WoW factor.. no over-warmth, over liquidness, over sweetness. It is a sound with much depth that remains fine and good when examined thoroughly.

The Rudistor RP010 sound was not that sound. It was a more organic sound with more punch. Part of that organicity was fuzz due to distortion.. of that I have no doubt. It is one of those more wow factor amps. It was a fun amp. I do miss it a bit.

I have no need of the 307A the SS1 fulfills the need I have for an amp of that type. I could use a fun amp though. The SDS is pretty darn fun... but the Nautilus though...

I mean me and Craig talked about it he agreed if you are looking for accuracy/neutrality the 307A has the Nautilus beat hands down. But the organicity/engaging/funness of the Nautilus is undeniable. May have to invest.

Thanks Dan,

I figured you'd know and certainly have more experience with the Qualias and the RP010. Maybe it was the effect of the DV-50 I was remembering. I just remember being very impressed with the high end detail/resolution of that rig in comparison to my Edition 9s (not yet fully burned in) on the same rig. It may also be the different reference Cd I used then, or that the Edition 9 has picked up more high end detail with full burn in. Who knows. I could even be full of it--that has happened once or twice in my life. :)

Voltron, I know about the fit of the Qualia and I did adjust it, but again who knows if I had it right. It was simply the one can I put on where I didn't immediately go, "Wow" with the sound. Otherwise I loved the TTVJ Millet. I was focusing on the Senn 650 and Edition 9s, and the Qualias were just a hit and run. That's why I figured I'd just ask Icarium.

All that said, I am trying to figure out a way to afford the winner of the Nautilus/Balancing Act run off. As much as I liked the TTVJ Millet, I nearly liked the Nautilus as much, and it is much more within my current financial reach.

That was quite a corner for balanced tube amps. Did either of you guys listen to the HD2? For me, that was neck and neck with the TTVJ.

Oh yup I'm quite familiar with the HD2 since I live near JP. It's a fabulous amp. But given that it may take 5k to get Craig to reproduce it and he probably wouldnt even be able to source the tango transformers in JP's I have curtailed my lust for it.

It's here!!! I have it hooked up now driving some K1000's (thanks Riceboy!). I am totally unfamiliar with the sound of K1000's as this is the first time I have heard a pair. First impressions are VERY good.

I will play around with my other sets of headphones and do comparisons to the B-52. Thank goodness for the approaching holiday weekend! And, most importantly, I'll post some pics!!!

Keep tuned!

It's here!!! I have it hooked up now driving some K1000's (thanks Riceboy!). I am totally unfamiliar with the sound of K1000's as this is the first time I have heard a pair. First impressions are VERY good.

I will play around with my other sets of headphones and do comparisons to the B-52. Thank goodness for the approaching holiday weekend! And, most importantly, I'll post some pics!!!

Keep tuned!

Oh Boy :o. How exciting. I'm so glad it has arrived. Have fun. I can't wait to hear it later :dance:

:useless:

:useless:

Patience, my friend, patience.

Oh, and by the way...anyone want to buy a B-52?!?

Just kidding (at this point at least). Initial impressions listening to SA5000's, K-1000's, HD650's, and DX-1000's is that this is the best amp I have ever heard. All of my favorite headphones sound better than I have ever heard them. Also, if the Moon Audio recabled SA5000's truely are "a poor man's Qualia" then I NEED to get some Qualias. WOW!

Just kidding (at this point at least). Initial impressions listening to SA5000's, K-1000's, HD650's, and DX-1000's is that this is the best amp I have ever heard. All of my favorite headphones sound better than I have ever heard them. Also, if the Moon Audio recabled SA5000's truely are "a poor man's Qualia" then I NEED to get some Qualias. WOW!

There is no patience when a 307A is around :). Just j/k. I'm glad that you are having a great time with the new amp. Have fun during this 4th of July week with it.

Bwahaha.

Congrats 4N6! Have a fantastic time with the amp, and let's hear some real comparisons to the B52 when you have some time. Assuming you don't get banned for holding out on pics!

I have had some more time with the 307A but not enough. Todd has allowed me to hold onto it for the next week and with my wife and kids traveling for most of the week, I predict some serious 307A time! :dance:

Congrats 4N6! Have a fantastic time with the amp, and let's hear some real comparisons to the B52 when you have some time. Assuming you don't get banned for holding out on pics!

I have had some more time with the 307A but not enough. Todd has allowed me to hold onto it for the next week and with my wife and kids traveling for most of the week, I predict some serious 307A time! :dance:

Great idea about comparisons with the B-52. And some comparisons with the your special SSDDSS would also be very interesting. Have a great 4th spinning the tunes!

Pfff -- pictures now or ban.

Thanks to all for the nice comments (except Dusty who threatened imminent banishment and ridicule)! To appease Mr., ney SIR Chalk, here are some pics! :)

system-1.jpg

307Afront.jpg

307Afrontleftclose.jpg

307Afrontcenter.jpg

307Arightfront.jpg

307Aleft.jpg

307Aright.jpg

307Atubes.jpg

And one of the competition.

B52-2.jpg

I'll post some listening impressions after the weekend is through.

Aloha!

Nice silver stack there, you're going after ASR's crown of silver gear goodness! :D

That was quite a corner for balanced tube amps. Did either of you guys listen to the HD2? For me, that was neck and neck with the TTVJ.

From what I've heard out of the HD2 in the past, I've liked it quite a lot, more than the ZD or Nautilus (but then again, transformer coupled is just more my style). However, my listening to the Millet came out of the Meridian 818, whereas I've not heard the HD2 from such a source. So my somewhat biased comparison gives the edge to the Millet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded pretty close from the same source.