NKOTB - TTVJ/Millett 307A Headphone Amp

n_maher

I can think of a lot of ways in which that would not be the case, it would depend entirely on the provisions contained within the contract which I know for a fact that I haven't seen.

Government polices on personal use of government computers/software are actually pretty lenient up to a point. However, it is absolutely illegal for a federal employee to use a government-owned system for personal profit. It would have nothing to do with any software licenses or contracts at all, but rather the government's policies for use of equipment that it owns.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The question of whether or not you are a federal employee is probably critical to this.

If you are a contractor that works for a company that supplies product to the federal goverment

under contract, are you bound by the same rules as if you worked for say Sandia or Fermi labs.

I know for a fact that a couple of people have side businesses and work for Fermi at the same

time, whether or not they are breaking the law is something else entirely.

For my T2 chassis, i pay the machine shop the same exact rate that any other external customer

would. Many but not all of the outside customers of the machine shop are other universities, but

definitely not all of them. The biggest outside customer is definitely not associated with any

university or college. Clearly the stuff inside the machine shop was paid for in part, and probably

in full by the federal goverment. Or suppied directly by the federal goverment. Evidently it is

clearly legal, as i get an official university invoice. This is the kind of stuff that the university

would never make a mistake on, as serious amounts of grant money would hinge in the balance.

In any case, i'm definitely NOT making a profit on anything i do.

• 5 weeks later...
your statements don't match the licenses for software on my work computer, which is a large gov't owned system. I've never seen a license which states what authorized users are allowed to use the software for, just that it needs to be restricted to authorized users.

The issue isn't with the software company but the government who paid for it and owns it and controls who's an authorized user or not. If you are using it for something not covered by the government contract or at least government direction then you're not authorized to use it for that use so therefore for that use you are an unauthorized user. For example it's a massive no-no to use a software license that the government has paid for (say a 80K+ CFD license) to perform work for another client without making the other client buy their own licenses even if the license is just sitting there unused.

The question of whether or not you are a federal employee is probably critical to this.

If you are a contractor that works for a company that supplies product to the federal goverment

under contract, are you bound by the same rules as if you worked for say Sandia or Fermi labs.

I know for a fact that a couple of people have side businesses and work for Fermi at the same

time, whether or not they are breaking the law is something else entirely.

For my T2 chassis, i pay the machine shop the same exact rate that any other external customer

would. Many but not all of the outside customers of the machine shop are other universities, but

definitely not all of them. The biggest outside customer is definitely not associated with any

university or college. Clearly the stuff inside the machine shop was paid for in part, and probably

in full by the federal goverment. Or suppied directly by the federal goverment. Evidently it is

clearly legal, as i get an official university invoice. This is the kind of stuff that the university

would never make a mistake on, as serious amounts of grant money would hinge in the balance.

In any case, i'm definitely NOT making a profit on anything i do.

Universities buy things with grants which are entirely different beasts because the stuff bought with them belongs to the university (usually) not the person doing the funding. Doing non-grant work with universities is generally a massive PITA (but it sounds like your machine shop has got it down pat). You've got it all sorted (as usual) Kevin.

Extrapolating from one contractor license to another, even within one government agency, is not a good idea. Doing between agencies is just not possible. Over the past ten years we have had 10 contracts with DOE, EPA and USFWS. Every one of those had different specifications regarding equipment use and software use. None stated that the usage was limited to only the specific contract work. If it had, the contracts would never had been signed. Your contract may be different but there is no one specific contract so your generalization does not appear to be correct.

Extrapolating from one contractor license to another, even within one government agency, is not a good idea. Doing between agencies is just not possible. Over the past ten years we have had 10 contracts with DOE, EPA and USFWS. Every one of those had different specifications regarding equipment use and software use. None stated that the usage was limited to only the specific contract work. If it had, the contracts would never had been signed. Your contract may be different but there is no one specific contract so your generalization does not appear to be correct.

I specifically stated previously that government guidance is allowed to change the usage and also that contracts can modify this.

• 5 months later...