MS-Pro, RS-1, SA5000, AD2000, K601?

Fungi

The SA5000 was the worst headphone I've ever heard until I had the trauma of hearing a DT880. The tone is crap, it can't do decays in the midrange or bass, the treble goes "SSSSZZZZSZSZSZSS" forever, and the resolution is only slightly better than Senn 580. The only good thing about it is that it's comfortable, though I imagine the mesh headband will pick up a bunch of funk from your head over time.

The RS-1 rules and I'm not saying that because I own one, I've liked it since the first time I heard it something like 5 years ago. If you want "flat & neutral", you can forget about it. The RS-1 just makes things sound right, especially in the midrange. Detail, resolution, speed is all far above my Senn 580, makes it sound like a cheap toy in comparison, beats out my K340 pretty easily as well. The soundstage is typical Grado, moderately sized, upfront, but with very complete and seamless, there are no blobs or holes. I've found the imaging and portrayal of 3D space to be better than my K340 which was the previous best, the K340 tends to beam some sounds in a cone while the RS-1 lets the sound radiate naturally into 3D space.

I haven't heard the others yet, I'd imagine the MS-Pro to be similar to the RS-1, the others, who knows?

The only ones on your list I have not owned -- or even heard to my memory -- are the MS-Pros. I mostly agree with aerius in that the SA5000 sounds pretty bad compared to even decent high-end cans. They are tizzy and lack weight, though very comfortable.

The RS-1 is a beautiful headphone in all respects, but not the most comfortable. Very light but they sit on your ears just like all the other Grados besides GS-1K. The MS-Pro apparently smooths them out a little but I don't really need that. I like my brown leather beauties the way they are.

The AD2000 is another can I still own and really like. Warm but still detailed, very comfortable, and very open, on the open-can scale. I use them at work because I can still hear the phone. Really good deal imo.

K601 I had and sold, but they are a nice can. I like the look much more than K701s, which I still own (x2 actually, s/e and black dragon balanced). They are darker and maybe warmer than the 701s and the problem is that their resolution isn't very high. At maybe similar price points, I would go with AD2K.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the impressions; they're really helpful. Just wondering aerius, do you use the RS-1 with bowls or flats?

I've been pretty interested in the SA5000 and a lot of that was due to the looks, but after seeing all this it looks like I'd be best off sticking to the RS-1 and/or the AD2000. My MS-2 hurts after a few hours because of my glasses, but I'm probably going to get new ones this summer and I'll be on the lookout for thinner arms.

Thanks for all the impressions; they're really helpful. Just wondering aerius, do you use the RS-1 with bowls or flats?

Squished down bowls, I might get flats at some point but I'm happy with the sound as it is so it'll probably stay this way for quite some time.

K601 I had and sold, but they are a nice can. I like the look much more than K701s, which I still own (x2 actually, s/e and black dragon balanced). They are darker and maybe warmer than the 701s and the problem is that their resolution isn't very high. At maybe similar price points, I would go with AD2K.

Aren't the AD2000 around $600 at Audio Cubes? I'm not familiar with AKG's pricing are the K601's that much?

The first time I heard the AD2000, I liked them, but wasn't overly impressed. I remember vaguely thinking they were a bit too airy. I also remember thinking they were seriously comfy. I'm pretty sure I was listening with Seebreeze's Opus 21 and my Extreme which I'd had only for a couple days. I heard them for the second time at Volton's most excellent MOA meet and was shocked at how good they were. Granted, Ironbut's R2R and a Zana Deux had much to do with that, but if I suddenly went insane and started buying more headphones, these would be on my short list and the most affordable and available on that list.

The SA5000 is not bad with some electronica music. It has good details and speed. I wouldn't use it with other types of music, though. I've had mine recabled with a balanced Enigma Oracle cable. It is very comfortable and lightweight.

To me, the RS-1 and MS-Pro are too similar to consider owning both. Like the SA5000, I think they perform best with specific types of music. I use the RS-1 with flat pads and my unit has also been recabled with a balanced Oracle cable.

The AD2000 has been one of my favorite headphones for a long time. It sounds very natural. It's midrange is forward-sounding and I think it performs best with pop and easy listening vocals. Soundstage isn't as large as I would like and details aren't at the highest levels, but it is always an enjoyable listen. With some specific songs, the AD2000 can as enjoyable as any other headphones I've heard.

The HD600 might be the least expensive headphone that can perform at a high level. I use it with an Equinox cable. It is a good all-rounder that doesn't excel in any area but isn't bad either. I think it needs more details and speed; the offspring of an HD600 and SA5000 could be a very good headphone.

I have an MS2i recabled with a Silver Dragon XLR. I don't think the MS2i is competitive with the other headphones mentioned here.

I don't think the K601 is as good as the K701. The K701 is very inexpensive, and like the HD600 an excellent value. Besides soundstage size, the K701 doesn't really excel in any area. It's not bad with classical or jazz, and can do OK with electronica. But it lacks PRaT and sense of energy and can be somewhat bland and unexciting. Details and body/weight are a bit lacking.

The K701 is very inexpensive, and like the HD600 an excellent value. Besides soundstage size, the K701 doesn't really excel in any area. It's not bad with classical or jazz, and can do OK with electronica. But it lacks PRaT and sense of energy and can be somewhat bland and unexciting. Details and body/weight are a bit lacking.

I believe this qualifies as the understatement of the year. :P

I don't think the K601 is as good as the K701. The K701 is very inexpensive, and like the HD600 an excellent value. Besides soundstage size, the K701 doesn't really excel in any area. It's not bad with classical or jazz, and can do OK with electronica. But it lacks PRaT and sense of energy and can be somewhat bland and unexciting. Details and body/weight are a bit lacking.

I believe this qualifies as the understatement of the year. :P

I agree that the stock K701 is boring and flat, but my black dragon balanced K701s out of my SDS-XLR surprised a lot of people at MOA. It really can sound pretty great, have more body and life, and certainly can have a bottom end worth listening to. And mine have not even hit the 7300 hour burn-in mark! :kitty:

All that said, the HD600/650 with a nice Equinox cable will out-perform it in my opinion.

Wow Elephas, that was incredible. Above and beyond.

And I'm with deepak on my HD580; I'm going to try balanced out of my VDA-2 soon but single ended, meh.

If I listen to primarily rock (all flavors) am I going to be happier with an RS-1? The AD2000 seems like a good all-rounder too. Or maybe I should just get both. :rofl: