Need a bit of a favour

aerius

As you know, I'm banned from headfi for another 9 days. However I'm in the middle of writing up a mini-review & impressions of some speakers I've heard lately, and I need to pull up some of the posts I've written on head-fi. The google search doesn't pull up the posts I need.

Here's what I need. I've posted impressions of the Dynaudio Audience 72SE, the Sonus Faber Concerto, and the B&W 804, most of it is in a thread started by mulveling in the cable forum on head-fi, with a few bits scattered around various other threads. I intend to expand on those posts, add in the impressions of the new speakers I've heard, and put it up as a new post in our speaker forum.

So if guys don't mind, do a search on head-fi for my posts and either PM the info or post it here in this thread.

I checked out some speakers today and I'm in the middle of writing up some short impressions. Auditioned today were the B&W 805 & 804, the Sonus Faber Concerto, and the Dynaudio Audience 72 SE. Of those, the closest to the 650 is the Dynaudio, but I don't think it meets the criteria of very good mids & tight bass. Guitars sounded muffled and the strings didn't ring out very well, and in terms of dynamics it just sounded dead.

The Concerto was the most lush sounding of them, a little too lush & mellow, plus it had some issues with the bass which I found to be too slow & a bit too "one note". Really nice with Kate Bush & Sarah Slean, but when the pace picked up and it was asked to rock, it couldn't.

Which leaves the B&W's. Not as lush as the Sonus Faber, but still a bit on the warm side. Highs were a little zingy until we switched it to a warmer amp, but other than that there were no real issues. Had the best dynamics & drive, and was equally happy playing grungy rock & blues as sweet female vocal music. The 804 has a fair bit more bass & a bit more fullness to the midrange than the 805, and it sounds more at ease, otherwise they're pretty close. Also of interest, they also had the best soundstage & imaging by far. They could project sounds that come from only a couple feet in front of me and well off to the sides, the wrap-around effect was freaky.

Out of all the speakers I've heard to date, I think the Dynaudio Special 25 is the one that comes closest to what you're looking for. Similar sound signature as the 72 SE, but without the problems and with much better detail & resolution. Problem is I'm pretty sure it's a heck of a lot more than $3000.

Thanks!

Oh yes, the speakers that I'm writing the review on are the Acoustic Zen Adagio, the Fab Audio Brat, and the Living Voice Avatar. The finish on the Adagio is unreal, it looks like an $8000 speaker but goes for less than half that. Sounds pretty good too.