New Portishead track and video.

Knuckledragger

There's a new exclusive video on the Portishead website. You have make an account with your email address, but in my experience, the P do not spam.

The new track is "Machine Gun" and it's pretty clear how they came up with the name. It's pretty abrasive stuff. Those expecting Dummy-era sedate trip hop will be in for a surprise.

Third leaked last week, and I couldn't resist. Here are my quick impressions from the WAYLTRN thread...

Portishead - Third

I'm not sure I can put into words how impressed I am with this album. I still remember when I first heard Dummy, and buying it and their S/T follow-up. To this day I'm still blown away every time I listen to or throw in the DVD of PNYC. But after 11 years, I had no idea what to expect. Was it going to be something like their first album, the slightly darker second album or something all together different. And to be honest, I didn't know what I wanted. Because I loved the first to albums so much, I was a little worried that the album might not live up to expectations. I'm happy to say that they have definitely created an album that finds that balance of feeling new and fresh while still sounding like Portishead. It's definitely a dark album, though that's to be expected. But it's also more advernturous with structure and the sounds they use. I can't wait for the official release in a few weeks.

After listening to this over the last week, there are no weak tracks to my ears, and stand-outs are as marked with by an *...

01 Silence *

02 Hunter

03 Nylon Smile

04 The Rip *****

05 Plastic

06 We Carry On *

07 Deep Water

08 Machine Gun *

09 Small *

10 Magic Doors

11 Threads *****

Again, it's a hell of an album, though definitely not for everyone. It's not necessarily a love at first listen kind of album (though I did), and the flashes of abrasive sounds can be challenging. But I'm thrilled they didn't play it safe and release some kind of cheap copy of their past successes.

• 3 months later...