Science Fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90.

Knuckledragger

i really like Clarke's work, don't get me wrong, but it always kind of bothers me when he's described as the "inventor" of the telecommunications satellite. the idea for something does not equal inventing. if it did, i would be the inventor of time traveling cyborg dinosaur laser combat billionaire playboy crimefighters.

he actually did a fair amount of research into it how it would have to work and protocol involved.

Wow Reks, can we at least let the corpse cool down a bit? >:D

I had just started re-reading (for the umpty-seventh time) Rendevous with Rama. I'm a big fan of Clarke. He comes from the era of Sci-Fi writers I grew up with, and his books will always hold a revered place in my library.

And he did fucking so invent the telecommunications satellite!!

:kitty:

i really like Clarke's work, don't get me wrong, but it always kind of bothers me when he's described as the "inventor" of the telecommunications satellite.

I'm guessing that it is at least somewhat a result of him being a pioneer of the concept of geosynchronous orbit. Or at least that's what I've been told.