Film of Terry Pratchetts book "The Colour of Magic"

Spiug31

Finally watched the first trailer -- this is going to rock. Tim Curry?!?!?

220px-Tim_Curry_cropped_new.jpgt226_feat01.jpg

From the makers of Hogfather? Was that any good?

I just watched the "making of" programme about "Colour of Magic", it does look to be good .

Hogfather was alright - a good first attempt, the scenes I've seen from colour of magic appear much better :)

The plot line for this film is apparently composed from the stories in both the Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic books.

Well, I have just thoroughly enjoyed watching the first part of "The Colour of Magic".

The film seems made up of many sections (each of which is strongly + convincingly put to film) with a light narrative gist beneath, tying it into a :scratchinghead: plot.

To me it is about 7 minutes in before the story starts (around the time when Rincewind walks off the Ankh Morpork jetty) but after this it doesn't noticeably slow down until the end - which left me with a Wow :).

It is more organised + direct than the books that it draws from but with humour in every scene it is a good bringing to film of terry pratchetts' genius :).

Jeremy Irons as the Patrician is superb, the luggage at this stage is a little less homicidal than I remember - likely due to it having less to intimidate/eat :)

p.s. I have been watching the film on Sky One so have had several advert breaks but the set-peice sections actually make the breaks a bare able (maybe even a useful) feature as they further punctuate the sections and during the early story aren't a distraction. I will be interested to see the film uninterrupted (hopefully) later in the year to see how it compares.

for any pratchett fans this is worth a watch and as with the books I'm left with a long term smile with bits resurfacing in my mind :).

I'm looking forward to watching this once I get around to looking for it at some point this week.

It is more organised + direct than the books that it draws from but with humour in every scene it is a good bringing to film of terry pratchetts' genius :).

I think that is a good thing - the book was bit too chaotic for its own good. Hopefully, they'll make more Discworld movies in the future, especially the later installments, as I think the first few books in the series are no where near as good as recent books.

Rincewind has always been far younger than David Jason in my minds eye. Especially in the first books which are so many years before the later ones. Nigel Planer with ginger hair would have been a better choice, but he wouldn't have pulled in an extra 1.5 million viewers with his name stamped all over the place.

Once they get around to Guards Guards/Men At Arms/Feet Of Clay/Jingo/The Fifth Elephant/Night Watch (but not Thud!). That'll be when the big fucking ace kicks off. Although maybe the Watch/Vimes novels don't lend themselves to TV adaptation as well as the more grandly magical ones. Small Gods, Pyramids and Moving Pictures would all be good in that regard, plus they're sort of standalonish.

Who would play Vimes is the question? OH! WAIT! They'll get David Jason to do it, no worries.

Just watched the second part :

the start is superb and left me in stitches

The second part of "The Colour of Magic" is mostly a normal film - basic return to the city save the world type. It lacks the strong pratchetness of the set-peices which were so rich and prominent in the first part. Still, some moments worth watching for but it was closer to being a portrayal of the second book and I thought that was a bit weak.