Interesting Long Read About Amps

I posted this on head-fi a while back and thought it might be interesting reposting it here for the ones who haven't seen it and just to post something interesting...

I already forgot what was in it so I'll have to reread again I guess, it's very long:

"Audio Power Amplifier Fundamentals

Introduction

The term amplifier is very generic. In general, the purpose of an amplifier is to take an input signal and make it stronger (or in more technically correct terms, increase its amplitude). Amplifiers find application in all kinds of electronic devices designed to perform any number of functions. There are many different types of amplifiers, each with a specific purpose in mind. For example, a radio transmitter uses an RF Amplifier (RF stands for Radio Frequency); such an amplifier is designed to amplify a signal so that it may drive an antenna. This article will focus on audio power amplifiers. Audio power amplifiers are those amplifiers which are designed to drive loudspeakers. Specifically, this discussion will focus on audio power amplifiers intended for DJ and sound reinforcement use. Much of the material presented also applies to amplifiers intended for home stereo system use.

Basics

The purpose of a power amplifier, in very simple terms, is to take a signal from a source device (in a DJ system the signal typically comes from a preamplifier or signal processor) and make it suitable for driving a loudspeaker. Ideally, the ONLY thing different between the input signal and the output signal is the strength of the signal. In mathematical terms, if the input signal is denoted as S, the output of a perfect amplifier is X*S, where X is a constant (a fixed number). The "*" symbol means

First of all, thanks. I'm cutting and pasting it, will read it later.

So...where'd it come from, did you write all that?

Oh, and hey, it looks like it got cut off at the end.

Sorry, have to dissapoint you here...I'm not that knowlegable to come up with that myself, google is my friend 8)

I got it from here:

http://www.rocketroberts.com/techart/amp.htm

There's more on the site if you're interested. What I posted is the intire article about that except for the outro.

A technical question from the technically ignorant - The article states:

"If you have ever looked at a spec sheet for a decent quality amplifier, you probably noticed that the power output of an amplifier is higher when the load impedance (number of ohms) is lower. Important: a load with a low number of ohms is a more difficult load than one with a higher number of ohms! That is, a 4 ohm speaker is harder for an amplifier to drive than an 8 ohm speaker."

My question relates to the impedance ratings of headphones. The 300 ohm Sennheiser is harder to drive than the 32 ohm Grado, correct? This is the opposite to what is stated in the article about speaker loads. Can someone explain?

The senn is easier to drive, it just doesn't get as loud. That's easy.

"If you have ever looked at a spec sheet for a decent quality amplifier, you probably noticed that the power output of an amplifier is higher when the load impedance (number of ohms) is lower. Important: a load with a low number of ohms is a more difficult load than one with a higher number of ohms! That is, a 4 ohm speaker is harder for an amplifier to drive than an 8 ohm speaker."

My question relates to the impedance ratings of headphones. The 300 ohm Sennheiser is harder to drive than the 32 ohm Grado, correct. Seems the opposite to what is stated in the article about speaker loads. Can someone explain?

The Senn requires more voltage swing to drive, but less current. A home power amp has no problem with voltage swing... driving adequate current for the 4 ohm and 2 ohm (and possibly 1 or less) ohm loads is more of a problem.

Conversely, in headphone amps, particularly portable ones powered by 9V batteries, the voltage swing is usually harder to achieve than the current levels necessary to drive Grados.

My question relates to the impedance ratings of headphones. The 300 ohm Sennheiser is harder to drive than the 32 ohm Grado, correct? This is the opposite to what is stated in the article about speaker loads. Can someone explain?