TT/arm setup for around $1000

deepak

I think I'm going to forgo my desire to get a Rega P3, I doubt it would be a huge upgrade from my current MMF-5. And I've received some feedback from the SH forums saying as much. The MMF-5 is a great table, I'd just like to make another intermediate jump before going all out.

So I've budgeted $1000 plus or minus a little bit for just the turntable and arm. I'm open to spending a decent percentage on the cart as well. But I want to figure this part out first. The VPI Scout/JMW9 is at the top of my list, even though I know a couple of people here aren't fans. And I won't have any problems selling it which is also a big plus. And I've heard a nicely modded Aries3 on numerous occasions and it's the type of sound that worked for me. The Scout is really the only table coming to mind at the moment. This won't be my final upgrade since I've really started to enjoy my vinyl setup I don't have a problem shelling out big bucks for a really nice one somewhere down the line. Thanks guys!

edit: so associated equipment (since my signature doesn't tell the whole story):

B22/K1000 and Blue Hawaii/Stax OII will be the two setups I'll be using it with. Phono stage at the current time is a CA 640p, but I'll be upgrading that as well.

Another alternative is a SOTA.

You can sometimes find a vintage SOTA Sapphire w/arm on audiogon in that range. Sometimes a Star Sapphire, if you're real lucky - though don't count on an old Star's vacuum seal to suction well anymore; I bypass mine anyways. The real advantage of the Star over the non-vacuum Sapphire is the 4-point suspension and meatier platter.

My Star cost $2K, but that was with the Koa wood body and a $1K+ arm.

That VPI should also be a great table, but the SOTA suspension really comes in handy in my current dwellings...

While I am not a fan of the VPI scout, I found it dark sounding and lacking in detail I do recommend this

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1211656302

For the money you have dedicated IMHO this is about the best you will get. The Sota decks are probably better but for $850 you get a deck that can be tricked out as well. If you do a search there are several interesting ways it bypass the suspension with sorbothane pucks that are said to bring this table up a notch or two. You can also upgrade the motor if and when you feel the need to.

Having owned an lp12, sota saffire and the vpi scout I thought the scout was the lesser of the three tables. If you go the scout route I would pair it with a lively cart to overcome some of the tables shortfalls in the detail department.

I think I'm going to forgo my desire to get a Rega P3, I doubt it would be a huge upgrade from my current MMF-5. And I've received some feedback from the SH forums saying as much. The MMF-5 is a great table, I'd just like to make another intermediate jump before going all out.

So I've budgeted $1000 plus or minus a little bit for just the turntable and arm. I'm open to spending a decent percentage on the cart as well. But I want to figure this part out first. The VPI Scout/JMW9 is at the top of my list, even though I know a couple of people here aren't fans. And I won't have any problems selling it which is also a big plus. And I've heard a nicely modded Aries3 on numerous occasions and it's the type of sound that worked for me. The Scout is really the only table coming to mind at the moment. This won't be my final upgrade since I've really started to enjoy my vinyl setup I don't have a problem shelling out big bucks for a really nice one somewhere down the line. Thanks guys!

edit: so associated equipment (since my signature doesn't tell the whole story):

B22/K1000 and Blue Hawaii/Stax OII will be the two setups I'll be using it with. Phono stage at the current time is a CA 640p, but I'll be upgrading that as well.

hm, $1000 is a really tough recommendation. I don't like the VPI Scout. I'd rather have a VPI HW-19 mk3 over the Scout...

Anyways, I think for the $1k mark I'd go vintage with a custom plinth. Maybe a Lenco L75. There's one for $175 on Ebay, add a arm say Origin Live Silver or even a stock RB300 and then the rest for the restore...

My $0.02...

Thanks for the recs guys. What makes the Sapphire a better table than the Scout? And what are one the "good" arms for the Sapphire in my price range?

TTVJ has two great deals on Scout tables right now. 1100.00 gets you the Scout with arm, 1350.00 gets you Scout with signature arm. warranty, and 30 day trial period. the Sig arm is well worth the extra cash. I think they are used (demos?) in excellent condition.

TTVJ has two great deals on Scout tables right now. 1100.00 gets you the Scout with arm, 1350.00 gets you Scout with signature arm. warranty, and 30 day trial period. the Sig arm is well worth the extra cash. I think they are used (demos?) in excellent condition.

Funny, I was just coming here to say the same thing. Great deals!

It's in his latest email newsletter and not listed on the site. Shoot me your email addy and I'll forward it to you.

Thanks Nate my email is (removed)

I've done more research into the Sapphire. I don't think I'll be able to get one of the modern ones in my price range. And at this point I don't really want to buy vintage or buy something that I have to piece together, etc. I've been doing some searching at AA and people are split on the HW19 mkiii vs Scout issue, many saying the JMW9 is a big improvement to the new line. I suppose with such a big purchase I should try and hear before buying.

A refurbished Thorens TD 124 is really peaking my interest. I could build a crazy cool plinth for one, and they have quite a following.

Speaking of which, aren't you working on something like that already? I found a thread on HF about a project for a linear tracker or something. Is that still happening and do you have any pics/update?

A refurbished Thorens TD 124 is really peaking my interest. I could build a crazy cool plinth for one, and they have quite a following.

That sounds like a great choice, I would look forward to photos of the finished product :)

Vintage tables like that should be a good investment (especially with the plinth you'll make for it), what a great way to protect your wealth from the falling dollar ;D

Speaking of which, aren't you working on something like that already? I found a thread on HF about a project for a linear tracker or something. Is that still happening and do you have any pics/update?

Sadly the plinth is packed full of mechanical parts and PCB boards. The design just doesn't lend itself easily to a completely new plinth. I am however going to overlay the existing plinth with some nice exotic wood. I just have been too busy with work lately, but I'll post pics as soon as I get to it.

That sounds like a great choice, I would look forward to photos of the finished product :)

Vintage tables like that should be a good investment (especially with the plinth you'll make for it), what a great way to protect your wealth from the falling dollar ;D

I have an idea for an Art Deco inspired plinth that would be a great choice for the Thorens IMO. If and when I do this I'll of coarse post lots of pics.

If you are really mechanically inclined build a plinth then order a motor and platter, there is a great thread about building your own table from Home Despot on audiogon right now. I am mechanically declines so it's a non-starter for me but if you are handy it could work.

The thorens project sounds cool as well but the more I think about it mass over sprung suspension seems the way to go.