Official Head-Case Essential Jazz Albums Thread

thrice

2266213260_e71ff6343c_o.jpg

Ive heard a bunch of Ray Brown albums (or albums that happen to have Ray Brown). My all time favorite would have to be This One's For Blanton, but I think this selection would be a little more universally accessible to the most jazz fans. It is OOP now, so look for a used copy on Amazon or similar.

For those of you who already have This One's For Blanton, I'd recommend getting this:

2318860266_3cafd401ed.jpg?v=0

The Duo Sessions

This is actually 2 Ray Brown albums (NOTE: NOT Ray Brown Trio) with Jimmy Rowles: "As Good As It Gets" and "Tasty !". Both albums are just piano and bass. One thing I love about a lot of Ray Brown music (this included) it that there is no recording hiss of any sort. Plenty of jazz albums that go way back have great sound quality, but often times there is some hiss as well. But RB material tends to be from the '70s and '80s and even '90s, so you get world-class recordings of world-class music, imo.

There is plenty of jazz that I love to death, but some are what I would consider 'focused listens', and some that I am always up for listening to. This falls into the latter category. I never tire of it :angel:.

HERE IS A SHORT SAMPLE

http://www.sendspace.com/file/90zufw

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on all counts with hungrych, except that there is no question Head Hunters and A Tribute to Jack Johnson are jazz.

Me too, but "purists" might disagree. :P

I'm pretty sure Miles wasn't "ruined" until his comeback in the 80's... the live recordings like Agharta in the 70's are the shit.

Also I guess someone should include Kind of Blue and My Favorite Things, but they're kind of obvious..

I am debating getting that one rasterbated in my basement.

Or this

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/2390400721_2415e5b730_o.jpg

When I worked at a Borders we got a promo poster of it. I snagged it when the display came down and had it framed....it's my favorite. Someday when we buy a house I'll have a listening room with album covers, prolly old LP jackets framed...go to some used vinyl place and pick up nice covers but shitty records on the cheap.

When I worked at a Borders we got a promo poster of it. I snagged it when the display came down and had it framed....it's my favorite. Someday when we buy a house I'll have a listening room with album covers, prolly old LP jackets framed...go to some used vinyl place and pick up nice covers but shitty records on the cheap.

IMG_5350.jpg?t=1207575518

Promo poster of Time Out = awesome :kitty:

I love the idea of putting up LPs as artwork. I may do that when I have all my vinyl shipped back to me. I wonder if you can fit a record in the case with the sleeve (inside the sleeve for safe keeping)? I dont actually own a turn table, so all my vinyl will just be sitting on my shelf otherwise.

Come to think of it, I should do this in my office O0

I like this cover alot (though I have yet to hear the music)

AMMJ-4037.jpg

Promo poster of Time Out = awesome :kitty:

I love the idea of putting up LPs as artwork. I may do that when I have all my vinyl shipped back to me. I wonder if you can fit a record in the case with the sleeve (inside the sleeve for safe keeping)? I dont actually own a turn table, so all my vinyl will just be sitting on my shelf otherwise.

Come to think of it, I should do this in my office O0

I like this cover alot (though I have yet to hear the music)

AMMJ-4037.jpg

Using the frames from Michael's, I put the records inide too. Double LP's are a tight fit, but it works.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what this is? I'm interested mostly in the cover, as it's not one I've seen before. I doubt the item reflects the cover -- the item itself is probably just the regular CD of In a Silent Way, but the cover is interesting -- the Voight/Night (can't read) Collection/Edition? Is that a pic from a vinyl edition, or is there an actual CD that looks like that? And, what's special about it?