Grado RS-Zero/1i/3/Surround/0/Mushroom/Thingy/Bagels

Nanoha

I'm absolutely interested in this thing. Comments? Predictions? Impressions? Guesses? Some people think it looks comical; I think it looks like one of the best looking headphones ever created. ;D I seriously want one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard them briefly on saturday and as long as i wanted on sunday (since he brought two that day) - we even had time to do some pad swapping. To answer the question above, there is no doubt that this is a new driver, or at least different than the RS-1 by far. Put it this way - with flats, the RS-1 still can't do bass like the PS-1, even if the PS-1 has bowls on. The new grado can with flats has no problem doing so, and in fact with the monster $50 pads which probably bring the ear way off the driver, the bass still gets to RS-1 levels. I actually think the bowl pads will be perfect with the new can, because flats, while bringing that PS-1 bass, muddies up the mids. The "bagel" pads clean those mids up and tighten the bass (still get that extension that is lower than RS-1 tho) but you lose a crucial Grado selling point - the forward nature of the soudstage. Yeah, it's almost sennheiser-like because you are now in the audience.

I have a feeling that either zeta flat cpads or bowl pads will be the right mix for me with the drivers on this new can - i look forward to manhandling this new production model in the future.

Interesting. From what I've read it probably isn't my cup of tea but I'd certainly like to be able to listen to one at some point in time. What is the deal on the new pads, do they make the headpone circumaural or are they superaural like the rest of the Grado lineup?

The $1000 pricepoint seems a little high, though I suppose this is pretty relative. Any word on how this will affect the MSRP on the rest of the Grado lineup?

Interesting. From what I've read it probably isn't my cup of tea but I'd certainly like to be able to listen to one at some point in time. What is the deal on the new pads, do they make the headpone circumaural or are they superaural like the rest of the Grado lineup?

The $1000 pricepoint seems a little high, though I suppose this is pretty relative. Any word on how this will affect the MSRP on the rest of the Grado lineup?

no word on how the pricing will affect the rest of the lineup. i'm guessing prices for other cans won't change, because none are currently near the 1K mark and they are comfy in their own price niche still.

the new pads still touch HUGE earlobes a bit, but for the most part the pads are big enough to actually rest on your head, not your ears, so your lobes actually don't touch anything but air. so yes the pads are circumaural in structure, but the foam is still the open airy supraaural type.

Unholy carp, circumaural Grados? Will wonders never cease.

I actually see myself getting a pair of these. My biggest criticism of Grados has always been the comfort issue, and 90% of the comfort issue is their supraauralness (if that's a word). I would still want to try them first.

Or maybe just the pads. Those bagel pads and my HP-2's...hmmm...even at US$50, might be worth trying.

...The "bagel" pads clean those mids up and tighten the bass (still get that extension that is lower than RS-1 tho) but you lose a crucial Grado selling point - the forward nature of the soudstage. Yeah, it's almost sennheiser-like because you are now in the audience.

After reading this, I'm definitely going to try them myself before even considering buying them (not that I have the dough). *Suspiciously looks over to the used RS-1 market.*

no word on how the pricing will affect the rest of the lineup. i'm guessing prices for other cans won't change, because none are currently near the 1K mark and they are comfy in their own price niche still.

the new pads still touch HUGE earlobes a bit, but for the most part the pads are big enough to actually rest on your head, not your ears, so your lobes actually don't touch anything but air. so yes the pads are circumaural in structure, but the foam is still the open airy supraaural type.

I figured that RS-whatever's introduction wouldn't cause a decrease in the price of the rest of the lineup, but I was still curious. It's kind of interesting that the pricepoint(s) of Grado headphones remain is fixed while other companies decrease their prices over time. Regardless this looks interesting since it seems that it addresses my two biggest complaints about the RS-1: the lack of soundstage and the supra-aural design. I'm volunteering Rex to purchase a pair so I can give them a listen. :)