Grado RS-Zero/1i/3/Surround/0/Mushroom/Thingy/Bagels

Nanoha

Holly crap TTVJ is asking $150 to terminate the GS1ks to balanced... Unless that includes a recable that is rather steap. That takes maybe 20-30min to reterminate a pair of headphones...

So GE, how much would you do them for? ;D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly crap TTVJ is asking $150 to terminate the GS1ks to balanced... Unless that includes a recable that is rather steap. That takes maybe 20-30min to reterminate a pair of headphones...

yea thats a lot of money for switching from a standard headphone plug to a pair of neutrik xlrs.

The real question is does it void the warranty still when done by Todd...

Odds are that it won't be done by Todd, but rather at Grado Labs. In balancing a Grado, they actually run a separate length of wire from the earcup, so you've got a dual cable run instead of a single one (at least that's the way they did my RS-1). I'm not sure which cable are being used, but I think it's the Moon Audio Black Dragon (at least that's what I remember from the National Meet, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of this). So, Grado would be paying for an outsourced cable, rather than one of their own. That would be where the cost came in.

This is an option offered by Grado through Todd, and would not void any warranties.

Incidentally, you cannot void a warranty in the US, which very few people seem to know. If, in doing an unauthorized modification/repair you damage an item, then you are responsible for payment for the damage that was demonstrably caused by you. However, the warranty remains in force for any parts of the item that were not damaged by the repair/mod, regardless of the language in the warranty. I had a crash course in how warranties work in some of my battles with Sony :P

Incidentally, you cannot void a warranty in the US, which very few people seem to know. If, in doing an unauthorized modification/repair you damage an item, then you are responsible for payment for the damage that was demonstrably caused by you. However, the warranty remains in force for any parts of the item that were not damaged by the repair/mod, regardless of the language in the warranty. I had a crash course in how warranties work in some of my battles with Sony :P

If I'm understanding it correctly, you're saying that recabling headphones does not void the warranty on the headphones themselves. Hmm, that is true, awesome. I'm holding you accountable if it turns out to be incorrect. >:D Just kidding.

Odds are that it won't be done by Todd, but rather at Grado Labs. In balancing a Grado, they actually run a separate length of wire from the earcup, so you've got a dual cable run instead of a single one (at least that's the way they did my RS-1). I'm not sure which cable are being used, but I think it's the Moon Audio Black Dragon (at least that's what I remember from the National Meet, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of this). So, Grado would be paying for an outsourced cable, rather than one of their own. That would be where the cost came in.

This is an option offered by Grado through Todd, and would not void any warranties.

I cant imagine that price being for a balnced blackdragon cable... maybe the blue... but that really is no different then the stock cable. All grados have 4 wire cables already so they are very simple to make balanced. That is my beat as to what they will do. That price aligns with other balanced offerings so I would not be suprised to find that $150 is for simply reterminating the stock cable to balanced (the Grado cables are actually rather nice).

I typically do reterminations for $45 or so.

I cant imagine that price being for a balnced blackdragon cable... maybe the blue... but that really is no different then the stock cable. All grados have 4 wire cables already so they are very simple to make balanced. That is my beat as to what they will do. That price aligns with other balanced offerings so I would not be suprised to find that $150 is for simply reterminating the stock cable to balanced (the Grado cables are actually rather nice).

I have a balanced RS-1 in front of me, and have seen the ones that Tyll has. There are two separate wires going all the way down the length. Grado does not split out the stock cable (or at least they haven't yet). They add another run of wire. The cable is much heavier than the headphone :P

I have a balanced RS-1 in front of me, and have seen the ones that Tyll has. There are two separate wires going all the way down the length. Grado does not split out the stock cable (or at least they haven't yet). They add another run of wire. The cable is much heavier than the headphone :P

I assume you have a recabled pair. I was just saying that you can in fact use the stock cable and reterminate it to balanced.

Such as these PS-1s or the L3ks below them :D

th_DSC01503.jpg

th_L3ksXLR.png

But you dont need to recable them, a simple retermination will do as the stock grado cable is two wires per channel.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=177667

So TTVJ is offering a reterm at 150 and drew is offering a recable at 250...

OK, here's the scoop on the balanced GS1000. The ones from Grado will use a double run of the Grado cable, and will cost $150 extra. Moon Audio may be using their own cable for the balancing, which would explain their higher upcharge.

If I'm understanding it correctly, you're saying that recabling headphones does not void the warranty on the headphones themselves. Hmm, that is true, awesome. I'm holding you accountable if it turns out to be incorrect. >:D Just kidding.

Yep. If you recable, the headphones are still under warranty (although you may have to go to court to get it enforced). If, however, it can be shown that you are responsible for damage (hot solder dripped on the driver, short in cable taking out driver, or something like that), you pay for the damage you caused.