Gem Dandy LP cleaner

jp11801

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update on the gem dandy, I do not recommend this unit unless you own a wet suit or have been to a Gallagher comdedy show and enjoy sitting in the front row. It cleans the lps just fine but even doing this outside produced a mess. I am going to stick with steam cleaning for now.

For those that worry about the steam cleaning a record damage I have cleaned over a dozen lps and played them all without a trace of damage just clean pure music and amazingly clean records.

got this off audiokarma,

Most inexpensive steam cleaners run steam that barely exceeds 212 degrees Fahrenheit (the boiling point of water). By comparison, the lowest "flow" temperatures of most vinyl compounds are in the 300+ degree range. Firmer compounds probably have flow temperatures above 325 degrees. In fact, it usually takes temperature excursions at or above 400 degrees to cause any fundamental chemical degradation of the vinyl.

So steam alone shouldn't cause any problems at all, since the vinyl acts as a heat sink, and the effective temperature of the vinyl never gets to 200 degrees. The only way problems might occur is if you were able to heat a large area of vinyl, and then put some sort of abnormal stress upon the album.