Reshuffling Partition Space

Hi all,

I have recently been optimizing my laptop for better performance. At the onset, I reinstalled Windows (Vista Business 32bit) sans bloatware using two partitions, planning to put the OS and programs on the C:/ partition and all data on the D:/ partition.

I noticed that I only had the option for giving the C:/ partition 60% of my 160GB drive. I figured this must have been necessary, but this turned out to be far from the case. The partition is not even half full, and I don't plan to install too many new programs in the future, maybe 5-10GB more at the most, so I don't need 40GB of free space.

I wanted to reduce the drive in size by about 25% and give this space to the D:/ drive. Moving the space to unallocated space was easy, but I can't get it added to the D:/ drive via any of the Windows methods. I have downloaded a program called BootIt Next Generation, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Before I do anything that will destroy my system, do any of you have any advice? Oh, and yes, my D:/ partition is backed up.