The Menace

n_maher

So tired, so very tired, but the power supply wiring is done.

I haven't reviewed the wiring yet with a clear head so no embarrassing pictures yet, just this teaser with the tubes installed.

95700245.jpg

And with the wife out at meetings tomorrow night I hope to launch into chassis fab for the amp. That is of course assuming that UPS does their job and delivers the chassis tomorrow, I have great luck with shippers so I don't know what I'm worried about...

Oh, and one more detail about the power supply. I got some good news from the trafo designer today, provided that some other calculations are done and proper precautions taken to avoid overstressing the low-voltage secondaries I should be able to run 5U4 rectifiers so that the tube compliment of this amp will be the same as the original HA-2. That's good news on two fronts, one 5U4's cost less than half of what 5AR4's do and there are a ton more options for good NOS tubes, two it's just so fracken cool that they can be the same that it makes me go ;D.

Funny thing, I'm actually not feeling particularly great but I'm behind at work as it is so no leaving early for Nate tonight.

And mini meets will be decidedly difficult for a while, but I'll do what I can.

Hope you don't have to stay late at work, Nate.

Yeah, I'm under some delusion that once I buy a house, I'll have my weekends back, even though I'm well aware I'll most likely be doing stuff to it on weekends (e.g., painting, cleaning, etc).

LOL.

Nate, this new amp of yours is screaming "Mini-Meet" when you've completed it.

Actually, it's screaming "Maxi-Meet" and hopefully that's what it will get! ;D

Yeah, I'm under some delusion that once I buy a house, I'll have my weekends back, even though I'm well aware I'll most likely be doing stuff to it on weekends (e.g., painting, cleaning, etc).

The definition of house is "an infinite supply of projects in which you can live! :o

Hope you don't have to stay late at work, Nate.

ha...new homeowner...free weekends...double ha (speaking as a recently new homeowner)

ha...new homeowner...free weekends...double ha (speaking as a recently new homeowner)

Another good justification for my putting off the homeownership thing :)

One more obstacle has been removed from my moving into a sweet bachelor-pad style apt. on the town square (with NO residential neighbors)...now I just have to *see* the inside of the thing :P

Ugh, an hour and half in and things were going well. An hour and 31 minutes, not so much. Both 2-1/2" hole saws have cooked themselves, the first one after just two holes, the second couldn't cut for shit from the get go. So not much progress will be made tonight, which sucks because at this point I don't nights to throw away and there's no going to get another bit at this point. I guess we'll give it another go tomorrow night when I get home at 9...

:sadcat: