The Menace

n_maher

Indeed it is good news. I had a high level of confidence in the PS wiring (and certainly the design) but still, flipping that switch for the first time and watching the volts slowly rise was pretty fracken cool and exceptionally nerve wracking all at the same time. ;D

I know I'm biased but man, oh man this thing is friggen sexy...

96017629.jpg

And just so I can post a picture of something new tonight here are the two umbilical cable. The filament cable is 4 hand braided strands of 14awg commercial copper wire (oh nos, the audio gods say) and the B+ umbilical is 3x 14awg commercial power cable rated for 600V. Both are terminated with Amphenol connectors, the B+ in such a way so that male pins are never exposed with live voltage (thanks to KG for that recommendation way back in a B52 thread).

96017631.jpg

I think you shoulda had the caps plated/painted/epoxied or whatever. That dull silvery look just isn't menacing enough >:D

Come on, man, the only team I belong to is Team No Frilly Bullshit. The only farkle I've put on an amp in the last year was a Nugget Audio badge and that was mostly to get a rise out of one Mr. Samuels since he's thought from day 1 that I was his competition.

Well, Pete signed off on the wiring this morning so I'm all clear to fire it up tonight and see how it goes. The pisser is that I have a meeting after work that is expected to go till 8:30, meaning that I won't be home until at least 9. :rant:

Otherwise, I guess it's safe to post a couple pictures of the wiring now and take the full brunt of people's criticism on my lack of skills.

Power Supply Wiring (minor tweaks have been made to this)

95700240.jpg

Amp Wiring

96017620.jpg

Be gentle, this is my first PTP project other than the little starving hybrid amp.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope this thread hasn't been too blogish for folks.

As far as the wiring goes I'm really happy with the way the amp turned out. I feel like I did about as good a job as can be expected of efficiently routing wires, keeping signal and heaters at right angles wherever possible and keeping L, R and G colored coded throughout the whole amp (other than the signal wiring from the pot to the input tube). The next 8 hours is going to take an eternity to pass...

Do I spy a 4-pin XLR jack? Should I send you my K1000 for testing?

I figured f'it, it's my amp and all my cans are terminated with 4 pin XLRs so why should I have to use an adapter. They make great single ended jacks and once you remove the stupid locking tab and rear mount them they're slick as all hell looking.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope this thread hasn't been too blogish for folks.

I doubt anyone is annoyed, we've all been following the thread with anticipation. It was just a joke dude. Now I really wish I could make CanJam to hear this. :(

Now I really wish I could make CanJam to hear this. :(

You still can :prettyprincess: I'd be willing to call in as your therapist (I finally completed my clinical hours and I'm still the queen of bullshit) and let your boss know that the workshop you've been required to attend would not be in your best interest at this time. You'd be protected by Federal law, and I'm sure we have enough ammo to blackmail deepak into a medical excuse if needs be. Get that plane ticket!

Sexy? Pffft. It looks like a jumped up Wheatfield HA-2. No, wait, that is sexy. I need better pictures, man.

Well if that's what it looks like that I've succeeded with my aesthetic vision. In fact the amp and PS will eventually have wood runners along the bottom of the chassis to further the HA-2 lineage although I'll probably be using a different wood.

Better pictures to come tonight when I get the whole thing lit up and running.