The Menace

n_maher

I wanted to revisit this point as it was actually something that bothered me while I was wiring the ps/amp but I was at a loss as to how to do it differently. So I'm all ears guys, when you've got larger caps that are not going to be directly mounted to the chassis how do you go about supporting them so they're not just hung from the wires?

Not sure that this is totally applicable but it's just too cool...

:horsey:

I like to use clamps like the "TH" series from CDE:

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/capacitorhardware.pdf

They're a little hard to find - Mouser only carries the TH25. Newark and Allied carry a few more.

The other way I do it is to use a tie wrap with a mounting hole, like these:

http://www.panduit.com/products/PartDrawings/078067.pdf

Pete

I'm sorry, but in my mind duct tape is a far worse solution than hot glue. I'm sure it's fine for insulation between the caps but as a permanent or even semi permanent mount no way.

:rofl::rofl: I thought the duct tape part would be enough to tip off that it was clearly sarcasm.

You can go to OSH or Home Depot and pick up some clamps for conduits (such as electrical), or in the plumbing section for nylon tubing for things like refrigerators, water softeners, etc. There are nylon clamps and insulated metal clamps that you can use. They look like the stuff in the link Kevin Gilmore posted. I don't know how big these capacitors are, so I can't say if the standard sizes will fit.

What are those things you have on the chassis in your first few pics? The blue and black textured rubber "things" that are marking your hole centers?

Just remember, when it goes into full prodcution, I want a low serial number.

He should put "1 of 50" on every single one of the 50 amps he makes. Everyone gets the lowest serial number, and it's also not a lie since every amp is one out of the 50 or however many amps he makes.

Nate, that amp looks sweet.

Thanks Mike.

The menace should get a lot of attention at CanJam.

I doubt it'll get lots, IIRC from NYC there was a whole host of tasty gear.

Just remember, when it goes into full prodcution, I want a low serial number.

Never going to happen. No serial numbers, no production. If you want this amp (or more correctly one like it) you're going to have to learn to DIY. ;D

Never going to happen. No serial numbers, no production. If you want this amp (or more correctly one like it) you're going to have to learn to DIY. ;D

You're a funny guy. I guess I'll call #1. Guys, the line starts behind me. Let me know when you are taking deposits. See the problem you have is that Gene will want one and if that's the case, you really ought to just start ordering the parts. He's a scary man. In some circles, he's known as the white beard ninja. In others, he's known as the fucking cool guy to drink with. The problem is, you never know which one you are going to get. ;)

nate, what kind of volume pot options do you have available for this amp when it goes into production?

I'll handle this for my associate. You'll be able to choose between 256 step attenuators or high quality potentiometers. As always, budget will be taken into consideration, but realize that it's not a direct relationship between parts cost and prices.

nate, what kind of volume pot options do you have available for this amp when it goes into production?

Excellent question! Nate, do we get a choice of the type of wood that you will use on the amp to give it the Wheatfield look? I would like a light wood, like a birch to go with my speakers.

better question should be, what interconnect options does he have? shouldn't that yellow plug be plugged in somewhere?

I want the video option.