Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray Blue Note Remasters to be Released on SACD!

Voltron

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some SACD questions/chat, from a high rez noob:

1) Opinions on what are the 'best of breed' SACD players in the $4-7K price range? How are the Esoterics?

(This is my loose mental price point at this point; may grow down the line)

2) My understanding is that SACD can not be sent out via optical at ful high rezl bit rate, and that using optical out only sends redbook bitrate info out digitally. I already have a (imo) great DAC in the Bel Canto Dac3. Its got USB, toslink, SPDIF 1, SPDIF 2 and AES/EBU digital inputs. If possible, I'd like to pipe the full bit rate high rez digital info from whatever SACD player/transport to the dac; is this possible yet?

hero.jpg

2) My understanding is that SACD can not be sent out via optical at ful high rezl bit rate, and that using optical out only sends redbook bitrate info out digitally.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&XID=O:scd-xa9000es:dg_ggldf&kw=scd-xa9000es&lp=11039766&productId=11039766

however the output is encrypted and you need something to de-encrypt the output.

Even the new meitner stuff is encrypted. (the old stuff was not, but nothing played it

anyway)

Your dac would do no good as it can't eat a DSD signal which is 2.56 mhz and equivalent

to and directly convertable to and from 24 bits at 192 khz.

1) Opinions on what are the 'best of breed' SACD players in the $4-7K price range? How are the Esoterics?

(This is my loose mental price point at this point; may grow down the line)

2) My understanding is that SACD can not be sent out via optical at ful high rezl bit rate, and that using optical out only sends redbook bitrate info out digitally. I already have a (imo) great DAC in the Bel Canto Dac3. Its got USB, toslink, SPDIF 1, SPDIF 2 and AES/EBU digital inputs. If possible, I'd like to pipe the full bit rate high rez digital info from whatever SACD player/transport to the dac; is this possible yet?

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bcddac3/hero.jpg[/i

You could probably get a used APL unit in your price range. You might be able to get a fully upgraded APL 3910 in your budget used. spritzer bought one you should ask him about it.

Your dac would do no good as it can't eat a DSD signal which is 2.56 mhz and equivalent

to and directly convertable to and from 24 bits at 192 khz.

:'(

You could probably get a used APL unit in your price range. You might be able to get a fully upgraded APL 3910 in your budget used. spritzer bought one you should ask him about it.

Isnt APL a mod company?

I'll have to look at that one...

There is one of the older units on A'gon for 3.5k or there about and the final upgrade is around 2k$ with the digital input. The APL is more then a mod as large chucks of the player are removed while other parts are either bypassed or modified. Basically everything after the drive is removed and replaced with a new upsampler, 32bit AKM Dac's and a transformer coupled ECC99 output. If I like it as much as I hope I will then it's NWO time... :o

Mine left Memphis, TN on the 17th so I guess it should be here right after the weekend.

Please please provide your impressions when this is done, as this one is on my VERY short list given the "affordability" of the 3910 apl version versus the full gundie $30k NWO.

I'll post a full impression thread once I get it with internal pics and all.

I wish I could afford all of them.

What do you SACD guys think about this one?

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/705ayre/

705ayre.1.jpg

That's one of my wishlist players -- if I suddenly upped my income tenfold, I'd own that one in a heartbeat. It should at least be on your short list.

And yeah -- DSD and PCM are two entirely different things. Theoretically, the HDMI spec also can carry DSD, but I haven't been following that closely, so I don't know if any products have been created yet.

There's also a couple of Denon and Pioneer player/receiver combinations that have i.Link or equivalent digital transmission, but no external DAC per se (I think dCS also has separates; and maybe someone else -- Accuphase?). And it's more oriented towards surround-sound. Your best bet is to get a nice one-box player.

Just say no to the silver disc.
Hey, I've been in touch with the guys from Electrocompaniet, and I've recommended that they show their universal player at CanJam. I sent them your way, I hope you don't mind. (Not sure if they'll follow my advice, though.) >:D

I just got an email from Acoustic Sounds saying they're offering a subscription for the first 25 discs now.

As we've done with the LPs, we're offering you the chance to sign up for the complete series for free shipping. We'll charge your card as the titles ship to you and we'll pick up the freight. To sign up for the series email Leesa at [email protected].

The first three titles will ship in July.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=49149&keywords=NL042908

Lee Morgan/Lee-Way

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=49152&keywords=NL042908

Kenny Dorham/Whistle Stop

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=49141&keywords=NL042908

Jackie McLean/Capuchin Swing

Also bonus tracks :prettyprincess:

That's right: 25 Blue Note titles on SACD - all Hybrid and all but two titles Stereo - shipping at two or three per month beginning in July 2008. Nine of these 25 titles will include bonus tracks not available on the LP versions. Stay tuned for which titles will include bonus tracks.

• 3 months later...
And can someone give a little info on the subscription? Searching the site has come up empty.

Call them up and ask to talk to Nate, he's the guy who handles the subscriptions. He was very helpful when I set up mine.

Sort of like the old school vinyl format, I like that AS has old school customer service where you can just call them up.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, they're hybrid discs, so even without a SACD player, you could still enjoy them. It's hard to imagine the redbook layer won't be awesome.

oh yeah, the redbook will be amazing. the vinyl will be better. :)

I don't slight anyone for buying the SACDs. If I could afford to do both and be happy I would.