Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

• Beta 22
    • Rudistor RPX-33
    • Rudistor RPX-100
    • Rudistor RPX-1000
    • Rudistor RB-010 (B)
    • RSA Apache
    • Headamp GS-X
    • Larocco Headcode
    • Singlepower SS1
    • Krell KSA-5
    • Naim Headline 2
    • Meier Corda Opera Amp/Dac
    • TooleAudio Balanced Mosfet Amp
    • Headroom Balanced Max

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm thinking a mix of single-ended and balanced if I get to choose ;) so that I can swop. When I do that and if that's an option (which I think it is) then when I buy the ed9 I might get it recabled so that I can switch from balanced to se.

Used indeed might be a good option if it contains what I want; note the above.

You need some better headphones than the Ultrasone 750 if you're going to spend so much for an amp. Maybe some electrostatics?

And a good source. I think a good source is more important than the amp, but then I've only heard the Corda Opera of the ones on the list. I don't think it is a good amp, certainly not better than a Zana Deux.

Well, I'm thinking a mix of single-ended and balanced if I get to choose ;) so that I can swop. When I do that and if that's an option (which I think it is) then when I buy the ed9 I might get it recabled so that I can switch from balanced to se.

If there's a meet sometime soon, I can bring the OII. You should at least give them a try before committing to the ED9. For the price of a ED9 + cable upgrade + amp, you can easily get the OII + a decent amp. I'm not sure if there were balanced headphones/amps at the recent meet but something like a pair of balanced HD 650s shouldn't be discarded from your options either. Also a lot cheaper than ED9.

I can't believe no-one's posted the Headroom Max or the Headroom Balanced Max with Diamond Buffers yet. That's just ... inconceivable. Easily the best solid-state I've ever heard. The Beta 22 is right up there with it (I.E. a close second or third), but the amp-formerly-known-as-the-Blockhead is the best I've ever heard.

At the very least, they deserve to be on the list.

Of the list, I'd go with the Beta22, and even if you do without considering the Headrooms, you'd be fine for a very long time. Nice synergy with both the W3000 and the D5000. I think it could handle the Mr. Ed9 just fine.

Except for maybe a maxed out KGSS, but that's an electrostat amp.

The results are quite interesting though. Much love for the Beta22. Did most of you build it yourself or ordered it premade? And if so, where did you order it as it appears more than one builder offers them?

Mine was built by thrice (Rockhopper Audio). Depending on my audio finance situation, it may be undergoing some changes to it in the future, but it's still a maybe at this point.

I think I'd definitely go all out and go for the 6 board configuration if I planned on using SE much. You'd never have to worry about upgrading either, you'd have the best balanced and the best SE amp going IMO. I'd suggest two sigma 22 power supplies in a separate chassis.

Dear gods, I hope it's that one and not what I built for you :o Though if it was, I'd certainly like to know (privately) and wouldn't be offended.

Well to start with Nate has never seen that build. And furthermore although he's an excellent builder he'd hardly call your work truly awful.

It's a clean build, and a sweet amp buddy!

I know exactly which amp he's talking about and who built it. I don't think the builder hangs out on HF anymore, and probably for good reason.

He appears to do truly top-flight work. I'd really be interested in seeing some of it live at some point and meeting him, seems like a cool guy.

I better keep up with all the threads going around to see what rumors and allegations are being spread about me.

One of the B22s I built should be at CamJam (if the USPS comes through). Actually makes me a bit nervous that many people seeing something I built.

I voted for a B22, and recently bought thrice's personal beast of an amp that I believe is configured much as swt61 proposed in his recent post. There is a FS thread here on HC and it has some details. Not at all sure that thrice would build one for money, but you can always ask (and offer Belgian beer and art photography as inducements). I have heard that particular amp before at a meet and think it is excellent and easily beats most of what is on your list. I have also heard at least one more balanced B22 that wasn't as good, but was still good. Your location is not going to make your life particularly easy, but you can get anything shipped to you if you try hard enough.

As for the other options, and with your preference for the Ed. 9s, here are some unsolicited thoughts:

The HeadAmp GS-X and HeadRoom Balanced Max are probably the no. 2 suggestion I would make. I have only heard them at meets, but they are both impressive. I cannot recall hearing any Ultrasones on either one.

The RPX-100 is the Rudi amp I would suggest out of those choices, and it sounds quite good with the Ed. 9s. The RPX-33 is underpowered and the RP010-B just didn't seem worth the hype of the price when I heard Rudi's original model. Maybe it was the meet conditions or something, but I didn't think it was very powerful or appealing in any significant way.

The Apache does not sound good with the Ed. 9s, and overall is probably not a choice that would be great for you or for the money you would have to pay.

The SS-1 is not the best solid state amp I have heard by a long shot. It is quirky and never seemed to be sounding its best or configured right in the few times I have heard it. I don't think it is available, but I would not seek it out. The Harmony or Transparency are intriguing without ever hearing them myself, but the Square Wave is not in the same league.

Same for the Naim and Opera: not in the same league, imo.

Oh, and the Dynamite is a really cool amp if you could ever find one.

Haven't heard the others.

I better keep up with all the threads going around to see what rumors and allegations are being spread about me.

One of the B22s I built should be at CamJam (if the USPS comes through). Actually makes me a bit nervous that many people seeing something I built.

It's a frickin' awesome amp! What's to be nervous about?

Heck even if USPS wiggled everything loose in shipping and it didn't work you'd still get major style points!

OK that may have not helped your nervousness. :P

I voted for a B22, and recently bought thrice's personal beast of an amp that I believe is configured much as swt61 proposed in his recent post.

Yeah Buddy!!! You got yourself one sweetheart of an amp there Voltron. It hasn't arrived yet I take it?

We want to hear your impressions once it does! Although I have a pretty good idea what they'll be. ;)

It's a frickin' awesome amp! What's to be nervous about?

Heck even if USPS wiggled everything loose in shipping and it didn't work you'd still get major style points!

OK that may have not helped your nervousness. :P

I bet a certain circular hole cutting tech could bring it back to life if anything happens...

Yeah Buddy!!! You got yourself one sweetheart of an amp there Voltron. It hasn't arrived yet I take it?

We want to hear your impressions once it does! Although I have a pretty good idea what they'll be. ;)

Mr. thrice is supposed to be sending it to Florida for CanJam and then I will ship it home afterwards. I am looking forward to seeing it next week for sure!

I bet a certain circular hole cutting tech could bring it back to life if anything happens...

Well I hope he has a pocket full of IRFZ24Ns. Let's just say I learned the hard way what happens for that split second when 1/4" headphone jacks are plugged/unplugged and the volume is cranked up.