Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

• Beta 22
    • Rudistor RPX-33
    • Rudistor RPX-100
    • Rudistor RPX-1000
    • Rudistor RB-010 (B)
    • RSA Apache
    • Headamp GS-X
    • Larocco Headcode
    • Singlepower SS1
    • Krell KSA-5
    • Naim Headline 2
    • Meier Corda Opera Amp/Dac
    • TooleAudio Balanced Mosfet Amp
    • Headroom Balanced Max

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted on headwize

2 versions of each board, one with the fets i like, one with the fets amb likes

one with heatsinks on the board, one with the bracket version

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dynahifetr.zip

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dynahifetrhs.zip

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dynahifeti.zip

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dynahifetihs.zip

knock your socks off :prettyprincess:

No, but there is a TooleAudio Balanced Mosfet Amp. It's exactly the same, but completely different.

That's funny, I didn't even look at the poll when I typed my post. Thanks for pointing out my lack of attention to detail. I wish I could use alcohol as an excuse but I'm not finished with my first drink yet. Where is the stupid emoticon when you need it. I'll wait for your next post when you point it out to me. :)

The amp kicks ass, I tell ya!

I published 4 different board layouts. Complete, ready to go to a board house.

Find someone who wants no end of aggrivation to make a group board buy...

Ain't gonna be me...

Kevin,

Weren't you building a couple/three of these (Dynafet) ala Blowtorch (solid alu chassis, etc.)? How are those coming along?

Kevin,

Weren't you building a couple/three of these (Dynafet) ala Blowtorch (solid alu chassis, etc.)? How are those coming along?

Done. Maybe if there is a national meet next year in chicago i'll bring mine.

And yes the real blowtorch chassis was pretty over the top.

My new preamp, which both is and is not a clone of the john curl design has

been prototyped, but no board layout, or anything like that. It will not be the

same silly over the top chassis.

The front end amplifier is both a completely balanced to balanced converter, and a

unbalanced to balanced converter at the same time. So that the output impedance

of the front end amplifier to the attenuator is identical in both modes.

After the attenuator there is a line driver amplifier.

The original blowtorch is only unbalanced to balanced.

Maybe when its stinkin hot this summer i will do the preamp board layout.

Done. Maybe if there is a national meet next year in chicago i'll bring mine.

And yes the real blowtorch chassis was pretty over the top.

My new preamp, which both is and is not a clone of the john curl design has

been prototyped, but no board layout, or anything like that. It will not be the

same silly over the top chassis.

The front end amplifier is both a completely balanced to balanced converter, and a

unbalanced to balanced converter at the same time. So that the output impedance

of the front end amplifier to the attenuator is identical in both modes.

After the attenuator there is a line driver amplifier.

The original blowtorch is only unbalanced to balanced.

Maybe when its stinkin hot this summer i will do the preamp board layout.

Sound like it would be of interest. If you need any help (layout, whatever)...

Have you ever tried to save greens with a wife about? :-X

Here's how:

buy inexpensive gear that fits in the budget. Listen for a bit, sell it. Keep proceeds in a paypal account.

Always buy with the account linked to the bank account, always sell with the other one

Have you ever tried to save greens with a wife about? :-X

I feel your pain!

Here's how:

buy inexpensive gear that fits in the budget. Listen for a bit, sell it. Keep proceeds in a paypal account.

Always buy with the account linked to the bank account, always sell with the other one

I'll have to try that. :P

Just FYI, I e-mailed SFT a couple of times over a month ago, and I never heard back from him.

maybe your emails got eaten by a spam filter?

i've emailed him a couple of times and he's gotten back to me fairly quickly

Just recently we had to buy a new speaker amp for the speakers as the former one served the music with a lot of cracks.

So the new one arrived and the old one was just standing on the ground for a couple of days looking good when I realized I could try and make it useful as a homeamp for the time being.

Well, I think I now really understand the difference between driving my headphones from a portable or a BIG amp. The sound is so much more alive, vivid. Deeper presentation, vocals a lot more up front and much more resolution.

I first had the bas- knob on normal and so the treble-knob. It was not really my sound as in like too warm lush sounding. So I opened up the treble and it became, well not so pleasant to the ears but when adding the bass it was as if everything opened up more. The vocals became more up in your face and it seems more layered. Bass impact is FUCKING HUGE really speakerlike except you can't feel it in your chest, just in your head, yet being definitely more controlled and detailed. It almost feels I have a completely different headphone now. The only way I can describe it in one word is Massive.

I still feel this is not exactly the sound I want as it's still a tad too lush for my taste, I miss the crispy flavour, so to speak so I will save up for that Beta. But I have to say, this amp is really not a shabby one. Especially with all the connections it has, it's still quite unique despite it being around 20 yrs old.

I will post a specsheet from the amp that is now in the speaker set-up for the ones interested. The one I use for my headphones is a newer model (AM69) but I can't seem to find any specs on them:

am5767specsxm5.jpg

Ow yes, and still apologizing for my noob way of describing what I hear, i hope you can still catch my drift.

That Akai looks impressive and in very clean condition. Supposedly some "classic-type" integrated amps have decent headphone outputs.

But that source and those headphones...

Sorry, sorry, I'm just joking, I know you like them. I don't know why I have this aversion to Ultrasone. Maybe Boomamma spanked me with an Edition 9 when I was a baby?

The Akai is in absolute mint condition. My bf was the first and only owner and took good care of it luckily. The only problem it has which is a common thing with them is the input selector causes cracking in the sound. That's why we had to replace it for the speakers. Luckily one input works without cracking so I can use it without problems, at least so far.

The source, yeah I know haha! Have to buy a new Macbook Pro and that will deal with that. Hmm, spanked with an Edition 9..lol...I want that mamma too!

The source, yeah,,I guess it will not be just solved with a MacbookPro via optical out as you still use its internal soundcard which is most likely inferior to the amp connected with...correct or not?

Had a little chat with my brother just now and he mentioned that. I completely forgot about the soundcard.