Sony MDR-R10 Repair - Back From The Dead

APureSound

The owner of the R10s just replied at Head-fi. Makes things quite clear. I would certainly be interested to hear what JenaLabs has to say. My tendency is to believe the customer since i have run into these types of situations with audio dealers myself. Excuses, confabulation, deceit, etc., etc. I guess it's hard for some just to say, sorry, i messed up.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner of the R10s just replied at Head-fi. Makes things quite clear. I would certainly be interested to hear what JenaLabs has to say. My tendency is to believe the customer since i have run into these types of situations with audio dealers myself. Excuses, confabulation, deceit, etc., etc. I guess it's hard for some just to say, sorry, i messed up.

Yep I think thats the worst part of it, the lying and deceit. Sure the guy would have been pissed if they had just owned up to breaking them but I guaranteed he'd have been a ton happier to know about it up front instead of sending it back and forth to jena labs multiple times. I like how the letter they sent the guy talks about how it should have cost $4k total, sure, thats why you only charged the guy $1k cause they knew they fucked up and were hoping to not get caught on it.

i'm sure it'll go something like this "he harassed us constantly and we initially told him that if any damage occurred we weren't responsible" oh and "he's just out trying to hurt our reputation and we don't know why" blahe blah blah

think that'll just about cover it

I'm glad the owner wrote things out simple and plain without and huff and puff. I'm curious if the thread will be allowed to stay since JenaLabs will surely claim libel, and if the lawyers around here could clarify things, wouldn't that put head-fi in danger of a suit if they choose to take that route?

What the heck is morph201 doing emailing them about the situation, and his little comment to Earl about it is is business and that's all YOU need to know or somesuch powerplay hooey? And more importantly, why the heck would JenaLabs, as he claims, email him their side of the story in detail? That's pretty unethical just to top the whole mess off. If you've got a beef with a customer, you shouldn't exactly be emailing derogatory specifics to random folk unless digging deeper holes in your thing. If the thread stands, I hope the morphfool posts the email if only to give the R10 guy a chance to see what Jena's saying to other people. If his name was used at all, he should fry them.

On a good note, did anyone catch this?: "I also own an SDS-XLR as well as am about to take possession(after CanJam) of Mikhails crowning acheivement: an ES2 mercury rectified 24 tubed power supply." More goodies for CanJam.

I'm glad the owner wrote things out simple and plain without and huff and puff. I'm curious if the thread will be allowed to stay since JenaLabs will surely claim libel, and if the lawyers around here could clarify things, wouldn't that put head-fi in danger of a suit if they choose to take that route?

What the heck is morph201 doing emailing them about the situation, and his little comment to Earl about it is is business and that's all YOU need to know or somesuch powerplay hooey? And more importantly, why the heck would JenaLabs, as he claims, email him their side of the story in detail? That's pretty unethical just to top the whole mess off. If you've got a beef with a customer, you shouldn't exactly be emailing derogatory specifics to random folk unless digging deeper holes in your thing. If the thread stands, I hope the morphfool posts the email if only to give the R10 guy a chance to see what Jena's saying to other people. If his name was used at all, he should fry them.

On a good note, did anyone catch this?: "I also own an SDS-XLR as well as am about to take possession(after CanJam) of Mikhails crowning acheivement: an ES2 mercury rectified 24 tubed power supply." More goodies for CanJam.

Most importantly, I certainly did notice that bit about the tubed up ES2 and it better be at CJ08 or I want my money back!

As for the whole deal with Jena, I just posted on HF their own web page states unequivocally that the transducers were never removed by Mikhail or anybody else, so the damage can only have come from one source. BoilingFrog laid out the facts that he understands pretty clearly and if the company wants to tell their side of it let them. I am not going to get into legal analysis of this thing, but you point out an interesting issue regarding JenaLabs' statements to 3rd parties like morph201 that might make them hesitant to cry foul. Steve can probably post what he heard from Jena when he spoke to Jay and Silent Bob. Certainly an interesting situation all around. :popcorn:

just read this thread and the one at head-fi - epic!

although it is clear that jena labs botched a pair of R10s

i too wonder why they would try and cover it up like that

their reply on this matter would be interesting to read

I would think when you have $20,000 cables listed on your website, and other cables where it says "Call" for the price, you can afford a $1,000 refund?

But imagine the research and development that went into figuring out how to do a 4-wire litz braid with 18awg conductors.

I mean think about it man, rock stars are only rocking you half the time. The other half they're breathing!

281x211.jpg

And if I didn't think that Jena Labs was enough of an ass-clown operation before this pretty much seals the deal.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the R10 owner's composure over there. I've been in similar situations where I've been lied to, ripped off and hung up on, and I can't say that I've handled myself as well. In fact, I'm vindictive enough that I'll occasionally drop in on a forum I no longer frequent just to bump a thread and spout off about what a piece of shit the company owner is. Speaking of which, don't ever buy a winch bumper (or any other product) for your Jeep or SUV from Kennesaw Mountain Accessories. The owner's a piece of shit.

It's too bad that it came to this, but I'm glad that the R10s weren't held hostage for the in lieu of full amount "owed" for all of the butchering work done by Jena Labs.

I mean think about it man, rock stars are only rocking you half the time. The other half they're breathing!

In!

And if I didn't think that Jena Labs was enough of an ass-clown operation before this pretty much seals the deal.

JenaLabs (that is a crock... Labs, like they really do any research) has been ripping people off for years with some of the most insanely good deals on virgin nymph-woven fairy dusted cabling. I can't believe they would risk further damage to their reputation over $1000 which judging from the pricing on most of their products is mice nuts.

And the thing with morph??? WTF? He has to work for them or some other connection to them. Shill?

And the thing with morph??? WTF? He has to work for them or some other connection to them. Shill?

Or he is being used by them to get their "message" out but if it backfires they can always say that was not their official statement. Plausible deniability.

Oh, and by the way, I am the real (non Ass-hat) Morph !!! :dance:

Are any of you surprised at the crap that jenna labs does. Many

people are happy with their way overpriced crap because they never

look inside. $3k for that, you gotta be kidding.

Take a look at the APL modified dennon posted here. I have no idea

whether or not it really sounds great or not, but that modification job

is pure crap. The circuit board held on with one screw, and either hot

glue or rtv all over the place. Pure garbage.

You should see some of the hack jobs the usa distributor of stax

(yamas) has done. Also pure crap.

People should start doing this stuff themselves. It can't get any worse.

Here's the stretch:

It is our position that S.W.s headphones had a defect in place in the

form of a malformed voice coil wire, either internally, and/or

additionally, externally, on one of the drive units that may have been

further deformed or damaged in some manner during the first modification

by another person/firm prior to our ever seen the headphones, or that

may have been exacerbated by that and/or some other reason, which may

include but not be limited to such reasons as playing at excessive sound

level or being exposed to DC current in the audio signal being fed to

the headphone.

Jena had already been sooo insistent about their thoroughness when testing testing and hearing hearing the headphones after receiving them the first time. If you've received R10s with a damaged voice coil, wouldn't top-notch (as they portray) experts pick up on that? A damaged voice coil seems to have sounded like perfection to them the first time around. Even if true, which I doubt, that alone would expose their ignorance. And damn, I've cranked my R10s to deafening volumes just for fun a few times, but considering the owner's gear list and knowledge of gear, saying he exposed them to DC current or listened loud enough to wake the neighbors is a claim of desperation.

We are not in any way responsible for pre-existing damage, defect, or

incipient defect, whether repaired by us or not

My goodness. What a great business opportunity for me! I, too, can't repair squat, but can certainly open things up, look around, play with wires or let my cat do the work and call it a repair. I even learned to solder a bit. I suck at it, but now I know I'm not responsible for my or my cat's repairs. What should my company name be? How much should I charge? This is exciting. I might just get that new car I've been talking about for years.

That person

found the external voice coil wire defect repair job that we had

performed at no charge. S.W. phoned and confronted us with the

existence of the repair, and we freely admitted to performing it. We DID

NOT in anyway admit verbally or in any other manner to any liability for

the further repair of the defect, nor are we responsible for such

repair, even though you were trying very hard to get us to admit so. He

TRIED like a vicious District Attorney to bend words and shape questions

so that any answer would be an admission of his acusations.

I'm not quite sure I understand what they mean liability for the further repair after admitting they did the "repair" which created the damage. Gonna make my cat start paying for his food. He's my chief technician. I tried to wake him up just now to tell him, but he bit my toe. Testy tech guys.

Are any of you surprised at the crap that jenna labs does. Many

people are happy with their way overpriced crap because they never

look inside. $3k for that, you gotta be kidding.

Take a look at the APL modified dennon posted here. I have no idea

whether or not it really sounds great or not, but that modification job

is pure crap. The circuit board held on with one screw, and either hot

glue or rtv all over the place. Pure garbage.

You should see some of the hack jobs the usa distributor of stax

(yamas) has done. Also pure crap.

People should start doing this stuff themselves. It can't get any worse.

The circuit board is held by two screws on each side but there are lots of things that could have been done better. Sound is good but I don't have any bass now for some peculiar reason as it was there initially... :-\

I think the owner of the R10s is going to have a really hard time on this. The headphones, unfortunately, had been modified by someone else before going to JL. So JL is going to hang tough on attributing all damage to that previous process. It will be hard to prove otherwise, i.e. that the cans were fine before getting to them. I wonder how this thing would have de-convoluted if JL would have received unmanipulated R10s, and the owner would have been able to prove that.

Not that I have any cans that need recabling, but even if I had, I'd stay away from JL. Their response is a classic response you'd expect from someone washing their hands and blaming other parties.

damn! I have dealed with sellers that have come back with poor behavior like this appears to be, I can imagine the level of frustration.

To me it is clear. I don't really care who to point fingers at since my job was just to fix this mess, but here is what I know.

The headphone was sent to SinglePower for initial recable. SinglePower does NOT remove the drivers which means that the drivers are still glued into the housing. You can ask anyone who has ever talk to Mikhail or even call him yourself and he will tell you he refuses to remove the drivers from the housing which means there is no way he could have damaged the voice coil.

Boilingfrog wanted the job done right so he sent it to JenaLabs thinking he would get what he paid for. At $1500 for an upgrade cable the headphones should also have the ability to land on the moon (APureSound model will be available summer 2010). JenaLabs opened his headphone even pictured and wrote about the fact that someone just spliced their upgrade cable into the stock cable, but that they don't do that.

That means that JenaLabs pull the drivers from the housings. Knowing Boilingfrog and having talking to him on the phone for a total of probably 4-5hr he doesn't know the first thing about these headphones let alone how to take even the pads off. He had no idea and couldn't even believe what all I told him while on the phone as it was truly just a shock as much as it was to me when I first opened them up.

To think these headphones sounded great the way they were fixed up you have got to be deaf or listing to a pillow because as soon as I put them on I already herd everything wrong with them.

He always kept me updated with what was going on with JenaLabs because Jennifer WhiteWolf Crock herself sent me an email on 4-4-2008 to see if I had his headphones.

I said what I know and having a very good understanding on the construction of the headphones I can tell you now exactly who did it and what happened, but it has already been said before.

Just as a note Boilingfrog actually told me earlier that he didn't want any of this to be posted and he just wanted an appology for being lied to and his money since in the end they didn't do anything other than damage his headphones, but after he got hung up on 2 times, fruther lied to, and they went through all the trouble of sending him 5 pages of why they won't give him his money back he said enough is enough and he doesn't want this to happen to anyone else.

He isn't after money he just wanted them to take responsibility for their actions and I agree that isn't really too much to ask for here.

-Alex-

Here's the stretch:

Jena had already been sooo insistent about their thoroughness when testing testing and hearing hearing the headphones after receiving them the first time. If you've received R10s with a damaged voice coil, wouldn't top-notch (as they portray) experts pick up on that? A damaged voice coil seems to have sounded like perfection to them the first time around. Even if true, which I doubt, that alone would expose their ignorance. And damn, I've cranked my R10s to deafening volumes just for fun a few times, but considering the owner's gear list and knowledge of gear, saying he exposed them to DC current or listened loud enough to wake the neighbors is a claim of desperation.

My goodness. What a great business opportunity for me! I, too, can't repair squat, but can certainly open things up, look around, play with wires or let my cat do the work and call it a repair. I even learned to solder a bit. I suck at it, but now I know I'm not responsible for my or my cat's repairs. What should my company name be? How much should I charge? This is exciting. I might just get that new car I've been talking about for years.

I'm not quite sure I understand what they mean liability for the further repair after admitting they did the "repair" which created the damage. Gonna make my cat start paying for his food. He's my chief technician. I tried to wake him up just now to tell him, but he bit my toe. Testy tech guys.

How about Puss N Boom's Audio?

139599.jpg

I so sorry we broked it. That'll be $3,500 please.