Best Tube Amp Today? Cost maybe an object

Which should I build?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I build?

• TubeLabSE 45
    • Aikido
    • Over-the-top Morgan Jones or Waarde
    • Raven/Karna/L'espressivo (differential)

Too true ;D Though I don't expect either to top the lists, both the Woo 6 SE and the Balancing Act have caught my eye. I'm pretty sure I could do a beefed up version of the 6 SE no problem.

A new consideration to put forward: I bought humanflyz Quad 12L actives, so I'd like to have an amp that could do a good job as a pre, as well.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, as I'm sure everyone is pretty tired of this topic, let's put it to rest. I've added a poll asking which amp I should build.

I think I'm leaning towards the tubelabse. I think the combo of 45 tubes with a good OPT could be pretty good. I see OPT's with a 5k primary impedance recommended for 45's, but of course those OPT's only have 4/8/16 ohm secondary impedances (if you're lucky enough to get all three). I plan to use the HD650's, so is my best option to get some transformers custom wound, or can I use say a 2.5K impedance primary OPT and use the 16 ohm tap and be ok?

For Aikido, that could mean adding OPT's to my current 24v aikido, building a balanced Aikido, or just going crazy with a regular high-voltage aikido.

I could go with an over the top Morgan Jones or Van Waarde amp, like the singlepower amps or the Menace.

Lastly, there are the differential amps like the Raven pre-amp, the first two stages of the Karna, or the differential L'espressivo.

Whatcha think?

Somebody double check me on this. I haven't really ever tried calculating impedances across a transformer before.

Say I use the 2.5k primary impedance transformer I mentioned before. Off the 16 ohm tap, the impedance ratio is 156.25, correct? So I multiply that number by the 300 ohms of the HD650 to get an impedance of 46,875 ohms reflected back on the tube. I know some run their tubes into high impedances, but that seems a bit too high. Will that just kill voltage output?

For a 300 ohm load, to get 5k reflected back on the tube I'd need roughly a 4:1 primary to secondary turns ratio, if I'm calculating right. Can anyone tell me how far off the mark I am?

Having never heard any of them, if I were getting one I'd go for one using 45s (this is from everything I've read; measures extremely well, and well received at diyaudio and SH). The person that sold me my L3000 got a custom built 45 headphone amp and he is very, very happy with it. There is a thread on Headfi about it.

I actually haven't had a chance to try any of them yet :( Between work and other projects I've been a busy guy. I do plan to do some testing either tomorrow or more likely on Monday.

you fail as a DIYer... how can you just look at 200uF film caps and Mundorf Silver and Oil caps?

:) :)

no rush or anything just curious more than anything...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answers/support guys. I think I'll go ahead with the TubeLab as soon as I have the funds (will probably need to sell both my single-ended and balanced b22's).

Anyone have any idea on my questions about transformer ratio?

Are you going forward with this project?

I know, I'm a jackass...what can I say? ;D

-edit- Also, I got a pair of triple.fi's recently and am blown away by them. They have a huuuuuge soundstage for being an IEM. Seriously. Maybe even a tad bigger than the stage I get from HD650's...it's crazy. I love the frequency response, I love the detailing, and I love the bass. Of course, I need more time to live with them before any solid decisions, but these are making me wonder why bother with any fullsize headphones (except where I need open 'phones). The only thing they lack is a bit of weight and heft behind the sound when I'm listening at low levels, and the tone of instruments seems ever so slightly off, but that could be because I've only been listening to 650's for months.

I know, I'm a jackass...what can I say? ;D

-edit- Also, I got a pair of triple.fi's recently and am blown away by them. They have a huuuuuge soundstage for being an IEM. Seriously. Maybe even a tad bigger than the stage I get from HD650's...it's crazy. I love the frequency response, I love the detailing, and I love the bass. Of course, I need more time to live with them before any solid decisions, but these are making me wonder why bother with any fullsize headphones (except where I need open 'phones). The only thing they lack is a bit of weight and heft behind the sound when I'm listening at low levels, and the tone of instruments seems ever so slightly off, but that could be because I've only been listening to 650's for months.

I found the same thing when I had them. I liked them so much, I am buying them again, since I can actually afford them now.