The "#$!* I forgot to Order It" Thread

luvdunhill

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most old-school hardware stores have an amazing fastener section compared to the big box stores.

You mean as in they actually carry some 4-40 stuff? :palm: And know that there is stuff smaller than that? And may actually have some? Hehe.

Home Depot used to have a decent fastener supplier (plastic parts blister packs) compared to their current supplier who absolutely sucks.

I've actually started the following practice - if I need more than 10 I just order a box of 100 from McMaster Carr. The finish on all of their fasteners is better than what is available locally and I don't have to drive to get it (assuming it isn't a rush).

Yeah. Unfortunately the Ace Hardware stores around here only carry standard 4-40 machine screws in slotted head, which I refuse to buy. If I want to splurge, they do carry some hex head. Like you say, more than a small few, then Fastener Express or something else. Never used McMaster-Carr yet. Those taps someone showed from awhile back were interesting though...

Yeah. Unfortunately the Ace Hardware stores around here only carry standard 4-40 machine screws in slotted head, which I refuse to buy. If I want to splurge, they do carry some hex head. Like you say, more than a small few, then Fastener Express or something else. Never used McMaster-Carr yet. Those taps someone showed from awhile back were interesting though...

Smart man. How is shipping from there? The two times I have used it, the costs were quite high, but I seem to remember my items being fairly oddly shaped. They certainly have some cool stuff.

Smart man. How is shipping from there? The two times I have used it, the costs were quite high, but I seem to remember my items being fairly oddly shaped. They certainly have some cool stuff.

Fastener Express? Or MacMaster-Carr? I've never ordered anything from McMaster. I don't recall Fastener Express being that bad on shipping or was it Bolt Depot that I've used? Or both? I forget :eek::basement:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Fastener Express? Or MacMaster-Carr? I've never ordered anything from McMaster. I don't recall Fastener Express being that bad on shipping or was it Bolt Depot that I've used? Or both? I forget :eek::basement:
Grainger is where I get all my hardware - lots of socket head 4-40 and 6-32 cap screws, among other things (they go smaller). Their prices are cheaper than McMaster-Carr and they have walk-in stores in most medium to large cities. They are a distributor, though, so you have to have a business account or know someone who'll let you buy on theirs.

• 2 months later...

Big order from Mouser arrived Tuesday. After the amount of checking I did in preparing it, I thought this might be the first time I did an order and didn't forget something...

Right :palm:

In my spreadsheet, I had forgotten to change the PN for 100ohm RK73 1206 resistors to 10K, so I wound up with (200) 100 ohm (and of course 0 10K ohm... funny how that works)

I had also for some reason pasted the PN for a 10V reference in what should have been 3K ohm RK73 1206 resistors... I didn't end up with t0o many refs though. Not sure why.

Guess I'll have to place an order for two values of SMD resistors, unless I find anything else I screwed up.