Since my DJ is being a Jag, its time for me to do his job..i need closed cans!

bhd812

Well after one to many "nice warnings" about what i want my Dj to do at my place it seems i need to give him a night off to let him know whats up. i have done this dj crap for a few years strait so i am confident in which i can easily do the job, then again we are talking about someone playing off his imac from itunes most of his paid time..

My gear of choice is going to be the Numark idj2 mostly cause i have somuch music already done in lossless on my ipod now (thanks to Benchmark for proving the capabilities of a computer setup). of course i am converting all my lossless files into 128 mp3s cause the idj2 does not play lossless and plus the 128's are going to be used only for dj time and SQ is not important at that moment (i am keeping my lossless files also).

i thought about using my Grado's to be flashy trashy retro look but with the open design there is no way i will be able to hear the beats i am mixing in so those of course are out of the question. i thought about using my custom Sensa iems or the shure 420/500's i have but thats going to give some ear pain by the end of the night pushing them in and out of my ears a zillion times each night.

i do have Senn 201's somewhere around my place i will use on the night i give him off just to get by with something. but most likely its going to be me replacing him in the end run so i will need a good set of closed cans, plus i am saving my business a ton of money not having to pay the cocky prick anymore after all he is the highest paid prick per hour in the building.

and you should note i am not going to screw with any sony cans..ever again...for any reason.

what do you guys think of some closed beyers? or Ultrastones? i am going to try out some at canjam also..

any other suggestions for a good Headcase quality closed can?

hopefully this week i will pick up the idj2 and get practicing

The Sennheiser HD25-II or HD25-1 (Same thing) would be a fine choice, they isolate quite well, the bass is tight and they do most things quite well, only downside I found is that they're supra-aural so comfort is up to you, I found my Grados comfy so they shouldn't be that uncomfortable to you. They're built like a tank and can be found around $200 new and even for less used. They share the same connectors with the HD580/6X0 series so any Senn's cable is swappable. They're 70 ohms with high sensitivity so they're fairly easy to drive from about anything.

Aww. Too bad I'm not closer to Chicago, or I'd offer to spin. Of course, not knowing the clientele at Billy's establishment, I suspect they'd be put to sleep by the downtempo and trip hop I normally spin, and visibly upset if I played dubstep.... >:D

Beeely, how about sony mdr 7506? They are supposed to be pretty decent, no? I do not even remember what I used for cans when I was rocking the vinyl, they were probably really cheap and crappy.

I second this suggestion. I dunno what Billy has against Sony products (besides the obvious) but I can say with complete certainty that the 7506/V6s are very un-Sonylike in their quality and durability. The V6s are $30-ish cheaper and identical to the 7506, but have a 1/4" plug on the end (so you can't lose the screw-on adapter.) In either case, consider the Beyer replacement pads non-optional. I had my 7506s for over five years before I swapped the pads on them, and they didn't become my main DJ cans until I did.

That said, if you break out in hives if Sony products touch your skin, the next obvious choice is the Senn HD-280. They have about the best acoustic isolation of any DJ can I've used, which is great for mixing in-heaphones (which I do in clubs that have sucky monitors.) The downside, of course, is the excessive force the 280s exert on the sides of your skull. They're not quite as durable as the Sonys, either. I've managed to keep my 280s in good shape for 4 years now, but I've seen other DJs destroy the headband in much less time than that. I don't like them as much, but if the 280s don't please you, I second the HD-25 suggestion.

Ultrasone makes several DJ cans, and personally, I haven't liked any of them. Miserably uncomfortable, and lacking in isolation. I didn't do much critical listening, but I had trouble catching the snare drum in complex drum n bass tracks. If DJ cans fail that test, then they're useless to me.

Sorry billy about my sony rec, I should read the fine print next time. Don't see anything wrong with the senn 201's.

no prob at all, maybe my brother has a old set of v6's i could try out..eeeeeewwww

lol

What did the DJ do to earn his night off?

I brought this Dj in last year to bring a Touch of cluby music to friday nights.

the big thing is he understands i want him to play a different type of music from 2-4am and not have a "request anything night" on Fridays. the dj on Saturday does this so i am trying to separate the people that come in on Fridays and Saturdays by aiming in more to the music of club style stuff on Fridays. last Friday he purposely went on the mic and announced "request anything night" even after i just told him what the crowd was like in the building and what to focus in on that night. since he basically went against what i told him then its time to remind him who he just did that to and why he was told to play what he was told to.

anyway there is more crap but yeah..

It's more of what he didn't do: owned.gif

;) j/k beeleey

HAHA EWWWWWW

The Sennheiser HD25-II or HD25-1 (Same thing) would be a fine choice, they isolate quite well, the bass is tight and they do most things quite well, only downside I found is that they're supra-aural so comfort is up to you, I found my Grados comfy so they shouldn't be that uncomfortable to you. They're built like a tank and can be found around $200 new and even for less used. They share the same connectors with the HD580/6X0 series so any Senn's cable is swappable. They're 70 ohms with high sensitivity so they're fairly easy to drive from about anything.

sounds very interesting! i don't think i ever tried those cans before, i will put them on my list to try if this turns to be a long term thing...thanks!

akg k271

another good idea i have not thought about..will look at these also!

Aww. Too bad I'm not closer to Chicago, or I'd offer to spin. Of course, not knowing the clientele at Billy's establishment, I suspect they'd be put to sleep by the downtempo and trip hop I normally spin, and visibly upset if I played dubstep.... >:D

I second this suggestion. I dunno what Billy has against Sony products (besides the obvious) but I can say with complete certainty that the 7506/V6s are very un-Sonylike in their quality and durability. The V6s are $30-ish cheaper and identical to the 7506, but have a 1/4" plug on the end (so you can't lose the screw-on adapter.) In either case, consider the Beyer replacement pads non-optional. I had my 7506s for over five years before I swapped the pads on them, and they didn't become my main DJ cans until I did.

That said, if you break out in hives if Sony products touch your skin, the next obvious choice is the Senn HD-280. They have about the best acoustic isolation of any DJ can I've used, which is great for mixing in-heaphones (which I do in clubs that have sucky monitors.) The downside, of course, is the excessive force the 280s exert on the sides of your skull. They're not quite as durable as the Sonys, either. I've managed to keep my 280s in good shape for 4 years now, but I've seen other DJs destroy the headband in much less time than that. I don't like them as much, but if the 280s don't please you, I second the HD-25 suggestion.

Ultrasone makes several DJ cans, and personally, I haven't liked any of them. Miserably uncomfortable, and lacking in isolation. I didn't do much critical listening, but I had trouble catching the snare drum in complex drum n bass tracks. If DJ cans fail that test, then they're useless to me.

hmm 280's also huh? had a pair of those long time ago but for hifi listening not djing. will have to consider those also. and thanks for the tip of snare drum in bass tracks, makes sense.

Yea do think about swivel ability. I mainly like the akg ones because besides being big, easy to grab, comfy, and can swivel, they don't actually swivel- it's more of a full twist, which means they spring back to normal faster and you don't have to tilt it or swing it or anything.

This comes in handy because if you are holding the headphone with one hand and it's swiveled around and you want to put it on your head again the supra aural ones with actual swivels are hard to swing back and put on your head, while the akg one just snaps back and is large so it just slips over your head.

Do your poor ears a favor and forget about trying to eek out bass from a headphone in a club. Clarity is more important because the music you spin is (most likely) already bass heavy.

They beyers are very comfy and feel invisible unlike the akgs which feel light yet somehow unnatural. The beyers are kind of meh for clubs though. I don't like them loud at all. The 770 will blow your head off at those volumes. I would rather go with the 880. Just think, what good will your precious scout and b52 be when all you will hear is a +12db 14khz ringing 24/7?