The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

So as an update, T20v2 bolded text indeed does sound different from non-bold text version. Less bass, sounds more or less flat but on the slightly warm side stock, whereas the non-bolded version bass overemphasis is hard to get rid of even with heavy damping and midrange is very forward.

Edit:

Pics for reference (not mine):

Bold

t20v2_17058.jpg

Non-bold (Colin's)

fostexenarmy.jpg

Edited by mypasswordis

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Just googled and indeed, there was a lawsuit filed. Will be interesting to see if there will be any litigation this time around... the Energy speaker incident seemed to have been settled out of court. At least Monoprice didn't copy the Fazor magnet structure, which the Audeze website still says is patent pending even though they've been using it for years... 

The headband is definitely taken straight from HFM which was in turn "inspired by" Stax. Initial reports about build quality are decent (especially for $300) except for issues with the cable connectors so hopefully they will resolve that issue in the next batch, if there is one. Also hopefully the drivers are more reliable than their Audeze and HFM counterparts. :P 

1 hour ago, DefQon said:

Password do you know of or recommend any dampening modifications for the Yamaha HP-2 and the original Fostex T40?

I would need to check my T40v1 but from what I remember this is one ortho that is already pretty close to as well-damped as the setup will allow, at least moreso than T20v2. I assume you removed the foam puck over the drivers? The main problem with these is the earpads don't seem to last as long as the T20v2s so the bass can leak out. I would try pad rolling first and then put in a layer of felt tucked between the driver and back foam if necessary. Never owned a HP-2.

Ok my mistake I have the original T20 v1's. Any mods for them? They sound a bit dark and bit muffled in the low end sound spectrum. I have the T40RP V2 (one that has the T50RP shell). No pads though as the old ones turned to cack. 

Edited by DefQon

56 minutes ago, DefQon said:

They sound a bit dark and bit muffled in the low end sound spectrum. 

That's the stereotypical underdamped ortho sound, if you're lucky. The bass monsters and minimal bass orthos (stock) tend to be much harder to deal with, but then again a simple change in pads can easily change a headphone from bass monster to bass light. IIRC there isn't a lot of space to work with in the T20v1 so first try damping with a layer of dense felt behind the driver, and have another layer of felt lining the earcups. Then try pad rolling, if you have any that fit. The Concept CE-H is a better implementation of the T20v1 drivers and the T40v1 is better than the T40RPv2 IMO but maybe you can find some good pads that will change everything. The T10 is also a good little headphone that comes almost perfectly damped stock. 

I know Audiovalve has issues around here, but I was looking at some amps for possible future planars and perhaps even repurchase of a K1000 (why did I ever sell mine?) and ran across Audiovalve Solaris, which has twice the power output of Luminare.  Does anyone know what the power output for SPEAKER output for this thing is?  I could not find that information anywhere, power rating into 4/8 Ohm speakers...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781910/audiovalve-solaris-a-super-luminare

Edited by Jon L

if you are going to get a tube amp, get a tube amp.

if you are going to get a solid state amp, then get that.

but a pair of tubes driven in parallel by a crappy opamp, with lots of feedback and garbage transformers modified to do both 32 ohms and high voltage at the same time seems like a really bad idea.

2 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

but a pair of tubes driven in parallel by a crappy opamp, with lots of feedback and garbage transformers modified to do both 32 ohms and high voltage at the same time seems like a really bad idea.

Thanks for the info.  That sort of info is not found anywhere else..:angry: