The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Get that wooden lambda housing made for the Airbow drivers, then stick the SFIs into the old Airbow housing in a line driver. Presto!

I don't own the SR-SC1's any more... :( My collection is in a sorry state so much so that infrequent visitors are shocked at all the empty headphone stands.

The Lambda woody looks difficult to do because of how the wiring and cable strain are squeezed in there. That's one of the reasons the rear cover is tapered that way, it wouldn't fit if it was thin all the way across.

The drivers are flat and so is the wiring for the new drivers. It's much harder to squeeze a SR-404 driver into a Sigma then fit one in a flat wooden housing.

Do the newer drivers still have that big resistor across the connectors? The one on my Lambda is pretty large and sticks up quite a way. It's a lot bigger than the SR-X/Gamma one.

It's all built into a small PCB which as all the connectors as well so there is nothing protruding above the drivers.

Ah, interesting. I took the back off mine, looked at it for a while, scratched my head and screwed it back on :D

It's really not that bad or rather it shouldn't be. I'll see if I can find some cheap headphones to mod if you'd like to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
It's really not that bad or rather it shouldn't be. I'll see if I can find some cheap headphones to mod if you'd like to try it out.

Just to wake this thread up. If you do find a set to play with, ship them over and I'll have a fiddle and see what we can come up with.

I'm already in for 3-4 more sets of K-SFIs and another Smegma Pros for various people, plus a possible run of K-SFI's to help feed the ortho masses with a new phone as the older ones are getting more scarce and expensive.

Just to wake this thread up. If you do find a set to play with, ship them over and I'll have a fiddle and see what we can come up with.

I'm already in for 3-4 more sets of K-SFIs and another Smegma Pros for various people, plus a possible run of K-SFI's to help feed the ortho masses with a new phone as the older ones are getting more scarce and expensive.

I do have some Lambdas here but I need spare parts for them as they are in a sorry state. I'll see if I can make a functioning set tomorrow after work.

How do orthos compare to the k501?

I can't say as I haven't heard the 501. However, I did listen to the 701 at a meet and feel my orthos are way better than the 701 to my ears. From what I've read I might prefer the 501 to the 701.

Guest troymadison
I can't say as I haven't heard the 501. However, I did listen to the 701 at a meet and feel my orthos are way better than the 701 to my ears. From what I've read I might prefer the 501 to the 701.

Oh, I sold the K701 long ago and never looked back. Have the K501 myself.

Guest troymadison
from what you've read, you don't think you like bass?

The bass is what makes them one of my favorite headphones. They have this hypnotic sensation to them. Really makes my head feel like a knot sometimes, it's great.

The bass is what makes them one of my favorite headphones. They have this hypnotic sensation to them. Really makes my head feel like a knot sometimes, it's great.
I like this about them too, great for atmospheric rock I think.

I have a modded YH-1 and a K400 so I can attempt to answer your question. The YH-1 sounds almost nothing like the K400 besides a general smoothness. The K400 was a grand soundstage, the YH-1 has barely any. The YH-1 (modded and with EQ) has fast impactful bass and has a largely visceral sound, very lively. The K400, as you described, have a more subdued hypnotic effect.

If you don't like EQ you should hold out for a HP-3 or YH-100, though I take it they would share most of the YH-1's values, but with better bass extention.