The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

I suspect I will get pelted for this, but the guy who sold me my GLite + DPS owned an R10 (US version, I believe) and said that combination worked very well together. He also said he preferred the HD-650 to the R10, out any amp, so take it as you will. IIRC, the R10s are pretty low impedance cans, and the GLite has minimal output impedance.

He initially offered to sell me the R10 (for $2500, IIRC) but ultimately ended up selling it to his former girlfriend. I'm not sorry I didn't get the R10, but I wish I'd taken a stab at some of his C-J gear.

• 3 weeks later...
[The K501] that makes the R10 sound like it has a fat bottom end.
Just for the record, we listened to both the R10 and the K501 out of a Melos this weekend, and Hirsch had this exactly backwards -- the R10 made the K501 sound like a bass monster. It was pretty night and day. The Melos should have had plenty of drive to drive both headphones. Edited by Dusty Chalk

It may depend on the Melos but I was looking at buying one and got a chance to audition it at a meet before purchase. Needless to say I did not end up buying it. It had no of the famed synergy with Grados that I hear preached about incessantly on HF and seemed like a bad deal even for $300.

<snip> It had no of the famed synergy with Grados that I hear preached about <snip>

x2

That probably ranks as one of the more disappointing headphone-related experiences I've had. It just didn't sound good at all. Others there said it sounded "right", which defintely sounded wrong to me.

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but from all the info I imagine they'll be pretty nice.

Mine are 32 ohm, but they're are other impedances as well.

I'll be transplanting a pair into some Darth Beyer woodies soon, but there will be some big modifications.

hm, I might be interested in some quick and dirty transplants ... I'm looking for a pair of low-Z headphones and perhaps these might fit the bill... what's the standard cheap donor recommendation for these?

There isn't a standard yet but I used a dirt cheap Koss UR18 and you can do it in about an hour if you get the damping right the first time. The chassis is pure crap though and not a good platform for planars but it is really cheap...

I have an extra pair of 32 ohm drivers Marc. You're welcome to them.

Once the job slows down (late Oct.) I plan on trying some mini Donut style housings.

I have two different donor phones that you're welcome to as well. A really cool looking pair of old Pioneer, and generic cheapo phone. I think the Pioneer will work without a lot of heavy modding.

• 2 months later...