TakeT from Stax.

Duggeh

Well a couple of evenings careful experimentation has resulted in no explosions, I'm still reluctant to leave the H2 connected continuously to the SRM-717 until longer term verification that nothing bad is happening to the headphone or the amp.

There's not a huge amount of difference between direct drive from the 717 and the Pass Labs/TR-2 drive. I'd give the nod to the 717 overall though. A big nod once you look at the difference in price between an adapter cable and the TR-2 of course.

I also plugged the H2 into the SRM-212, and at anything other than the total bottom of volume control there's a mass of distortion and scratching sound as the H2 tries to suck every last drop of power out.

With the Omega 2 on the head, listening, and then connecting the H2 to the 717, the result is sonic disaster. Volume drops a chunk, and the O2 becomes nothing but a bloated mid-bass cabinet speaker. The difference is vast. Driving the Omega 2 from the SRM-212 has a hundred times better sound than the O2 with the H2 also connected. The H2 really is going Dracula on the life blood of the 717. Conversely with H" on head and then unplug the O2, theres barely any change.

I'm all over the place at the minute as the end of term and exams are marching up. But I'll certainly include some deeper info about all of this when I update the H2 review.

It'd be good of someone has the means to try plugging an H2 into the KGBHSE at Canjam. See what happens.

Don't even need that, just cut the XLR plug off the H2 and use some cocktail sticks to wedge the bare wires into the Stax socket :D

Ghetto and dangerous... I like it!! ;) Molex pins (PSU connectors in computers) work great as ghetto Stax pins and sockets so they can be used with plenty of electrical tape.

I would guess that is how the ALIO amp drives the H2. If memory serves me correctly, the chap who owns that amp company used to be an engineer at Stax.

http://www.byon.co.jp/pr_compact.html

It does say OTL in the text but they could be using a push-pull choke to act as a primary on an output transformer similar to what Jones did in his 845 DD ESL amp. I quite like the output transformer box you can use with the amp... :D

• 3 weeks later...

I did design an amp for the TakeT... Plenty of drive oomph.

No way to test it yet...

Those things definitely eat lots of current.

Hook them up to the primary side of a push pull tube amp. 60 watt

amp should be plenty.

Any chance this is based on your new BHSE design?