Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, never heard of lobster reubens, concept seems good.

best lobster i ever had was from this place (everyone claims to be the best, but this place is hard to fault!):

DSCF2074.JPG

simple but delicious, grilled lobster and chips. i think the beauty was in its freshness. this shop was right on the waterfront in fremantle in western australia - a hot spot for lobster fishing.

DSCF2062.JPG

god i love lobster...might have to go to the local seafood joint for dinner this weekend...damnit. My parents had their 25th anniversary in Maine...they brought back a 3 lbs. lobster for me..... so tasty.

Key lime pie on a stick huh....more food needs to come via a "stick" delivery method. If they could just come up with a Double Double Animal Style on a stick...I'd go for that right about now.

AL! SHIP ME A DOUBLE DOUBLE ANIMAL STYLE NOW!

don't forget the fries.

Its funny; I've lived in MD all my life and have only had crab, maby 10 - 15 times. Go figure.

Actually, I don't know if this is chain-wide, but Jerry's now offers a crab sub made with Phillips crab meat. Bloody expensive, but it is real crab meat, as opposed to that generic filler b.s. you see all the time.

Try Cantlers in Annapolis.

Try Cantlers in Annapolis.

I'll have to do that :)

dude. if i lived in that area, i'd be eating shell fish 2 or 3 times a week. i love crab.

I do love it, time just sort of gets away from you, if you know what I mean. I've only really done it 'properly' once; my relatives had a boat, where you go to a waterfront restaurant and hammer away at your own crab meat, shell included. It takes a long time :P

There are some places in Baltimore that are supposedly out of this world, but I've not gone to them, apparently. I havent been in Baltimore harbor since high school, despite going to college a few miles away :D

The Mahi-Mahi kind:

mahi.jpg

So it's alright to eat the ugly kind?

(Just kidding, I know it's dolphin tuna, not dolphin mammal.)

Rekx -- we're actually spoiled over here in Maryland -- I don't eat good seafood near as much as I'd like, because to get the really good and fresh stuff, we have to make a small field trip to Annapolis. You'd be surprised how much mediocre seafood is served in this area, considering how close we are to the sea ocean.

Actually, recently I've taken to eating seafood as frequently as I can -- if we're eating out, it's on the menu, and sounds good, I'll order it and say, "Doctor's orders". It's the truth, too. So I vouch for the fact that it's rarely fresh fresh fish.

Tyrion -- thanks for the rec on Cantlers, it's on my list, now, too.

Its funny; I've lived in MD all my life and have only had crab, maby 10 - 15 times. Go figure.

Actually, I don't know if this is chain-wide, but Jerry's now offers a crab sub made with Phillips crab meat. Bloody expensive, but it is real crab meat, as opposed to that generic filler b.s. you see all the time.

Is Phillips the stuff that's $100 a kg?

Long Overdue Impressions:

There were only really 3 items of note from CanJam. Like a lot of folks I spent a great deal of time socializing and not so much listening. I also tended to stick pretty close to my rig for fear that the great conflagration was only moments away. :)

1. UE11's - I just sort of happened by the UE table during lunch time and decided to sit down and have a listen. I tried both the 10s and 11s and came away more than just a little impressed. I preferred the 11's by a pretty large margin and as expected the greatest difference between the two is in the amount and quality of the bass. The 10 has a lot more bass than I've ever experienced with IEMs but to my ears seemed to have an unnatural presentation, as if somehow I was hearing synthesized bass. The 11s had slightly less bass (still way more than my Ety 4Ps) and the presentation was far more refined and realistic sounding. If I had $1100 I'd own a pair, sadly that's way out of my league and not something I'd feel at all comfortable wearing while I mow the grass.

2. The TTVJ/Millett 307A - I went into CanJam with really high expectations of this piece based mostly on my prior experiences with Pete's work (namely the Menace). He and I had been talking about this amp for months and I knew that he had put a lot of effort into the design and making it a statement piece. In my opinion he and Todd have succeeded to a great degree. The fit and finish of the amp is far greater than the prototype pictures that I had seen and while the look isn't for everyone those who prefer clean, functional gear over bling should be very pleased. The sound lived up to every expectation that I had for it, with an even, clean sound and plenty of power. My woodied HF-1s (balanced) sounded fantastic on the low-ohm setting and I really wish that I'd been able to get back over there the second day w/ my HD650s but time did not permit it. Bottom line - I don't think that I've heard a better dynamic rig.

3. Headamp's BHSE/O2 - I know enough folks have waxed poetic about it already so I'll keep my impressoins short. If the O2's are you can of choice you owe it to yourself to get a listen on Justin's latest stat amp. This rig was just amazing.

Otherwise I had a fantastic time - due in no small part to the folks that attended and planned the meet. It was great to meet some new folks (Vicki, Mike, Al, Dan, among many others equally as noteworth but left off this list so that this post can end some time this week) who'd I'd only corresponded with on the forums and through email and it was equally good to see folks that I'd met at other meets. Great job Florida, someone's got their work cut out for themselves next year.

Long Overdue Impressions:

There were only really 3 items of note from CanJam. Like a lot of folks I spent a great deal of time socializing and not so much listening. I also tended to stick pretty close to my rig for fear that the great conflagration was only moments away. :)

1. UE11's - I just sort of happened by the UE table during lunch time and decided to sit down and have a listen. I tried both the 10s and 11s and came away more than just a little impressed. I preferred the 11's by a pretty large margin and as expected the greatest difference between the two is in the amount and quality of the bass. The 10 has a lot more bass than I've ever experienced with IEMs but to my ears seemed to have an unnatural presentation, as if somehow I was hearing synthesized bass. The 11s had slightly less bass (still way more than my Ety 4Ps) and the presentation was far more refined and realistic sounding. If I had $1100 I'd own a pair, sadly that's way out of my league and not something I'd feel at all comfortable wearing while I mow the grass.

2. The TTVJ/Millett 307A - I went into CanJam with really high expectations of this piece based mostly on my prior experiences with Pete's work (namely the Menace). He and I had been talking about this amp for months and I knew that he had put a lot of effort into the design and making it a statement piece. In my opinion he and Todd have succeeded to a great degree. The fit and finish of the amp is far greater than the prototype pictures that I had seen and while the look isn't for everyone those who prefer clean, functional gear over bling should be very pleased. The sound lived up to every expectation that I had for it, with an even, clean sound and plenty of power. My woodied HF-1s (balanced) sounded fantastic on the low-ohm setting and I really wish that I'd been able to get back over there the second day w/ my HD650s but time did not permit it. Bottom line - I don't think that I've heard a better dynamic rig.

3. Headamp's BHSE/O2 - I know enough folks have waxed poetic about it already so I'll keep my impressoins short. If the O2's are you can of choice you owe it to yourself to get a listen on Justin's latest stat amp. This rig was just amazing.

Otherwise I had a fantastic time - due in no small part to the folks that attended and planned the meet. It was great to meet some new folks (Vicki, Mike, Al, Dan) who'd I'd only corresponded with on the forums and through email and it was equally good to see folks that I'd met at other meets. Great job Florida, someone's got their work cut out for themselves next year.

Well, there was also this overly large amp/ps combo called the "Menace" that was pretty good too. You must not have heard it.

Also, I'm really hurt not to be one of the new folks you met. :(

Well, there was also this overly large amp/ps combo called the "Menace" that was pretty good too. You must not have heard it.

Mediocre at best. ;)

Also, I'm really hurt not to be one of the new folks you met. :-(

Oh man, don't take it like that, I got lazy after 4 names. I met lots of great folks for the first time, you certainly included. See the edit to my post. ;D

Mediocre at best. ;)

Mediocre, eh? No wonder you won't make any more. ;)

Oh man, don't take it like that, I got lazy after 4 names. I met lots of great folks for the first time, you certainly included.

I've been on the edge recently. This omission just might push be over. I guess I'll have to sell all my stuff now.