Source for my R10

riceboy

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about upgrading my source. Right now I have a stock Denon DVD-2900 to a DAC1. I've been looking at either a Exemplar DVD-2900 or DVD-3910 or Purks rig which is a Modwright with Kern Modded Sony SCD-777ES w/ Tube Rectified PSU or even a Cambridge 840C. There is a Exemplar DVD-3910 on sale at Agon http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1214828507, but I'm not sure if that is a good price or not.

Just a little background on sources, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to sources. I read reviews on all the products mentioned, and read Tkam's great review on the Cambridge 840C. They all sound like they would be good, but I'm not sure how much of a step up would those sources be from the setup I have now? Overall I would just like to have a better source that would be around 1.5 to 2 times better than what I have now.

The reason why I'm trying to upgrade my source is for a Sony R10 less bassy version. Thanks for your help as it's much appreciated :).

All I can say is that a used Exemplar Denon (have only heard the 2900), redbook only as other sources do better sacd, trounces most players I've heard in your price range, and equals ones I've done fairly serious comparisons to (Esoteric DV50 & SA10) that run much higher. I don't have much experience with a range of cdps, but I'm happy with it as a source for my R10s, and won't be upgrading unless I win the lotto and take a huge leap and/or go balanced. Postjack is on the hunt for an Exemplar right now as well, so you may have some competition. :)

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about upgrading my source. Right now I have a stock Denon DVD-2900 to a DAC1. I've been looking at either a Exemplar DVD-2900 or DVD-3910 or Purks rig which is a Modwright with Kern Modded Sony SCD-777ES w/ Tube Rectified PSU or even a Cambridge 840C. There is a Exemplar DVD-3910 on sale at Agon http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1214828507, but I'm not sure if that is a good price or not.

Just a little background on sources, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to sources. I read reviews on all the products mentioned, and read Tkam's great review on the Cambridge 840C. They all sound like they would be good, but I'm not sure how much of a step up would those sources be from the setup I have now? Overall I would just like to have a better source that would be around 1.5 to 2 times better than what I have now.

The reason why I'm trying to upgrade my source is for a Sony R10 less bassy version. Thanks for your help as it's much appreciated :).

That is the average going price for the exemplar 3910. I believe you can send the unit to John to get balanced output done for less than $350. The Denon 3910 & 2900 is much more reliable than my Sony though.

[mod edit]fixed quote, i think...

With a little manwhoring, you could wait a bit and get this:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1213902879

I'm looking at some of the Esoterics (among others) myself. Most notably the new X-05, since it has the same transport as the P05, and is all-in-one. I'd prefer the P05/D05 but I don't know how much patience I have.

Arent you going to be using the source with a balanced system? If so most of your choices wont work without some kind of converter or mods. If you are only looking at redbook I have had the chance to hear the Classe CDP-202 on two recent occasions. it is (next to the Audio research CD7) the best redbook player I have heard. Both players bumping my old favorite the Audio Aero out of the number one spot. They can be had for $3-4K on the used market. If you dont need a balanced player the Modwright Denon 3910 w/tubed PSU is really a great player. From what I remember of Purks Exemplar 2900 it is not quite on the level of the Modwright Denon.

Maybe Purk and I can get together and check that out. ;D

Arent you going to be using the source with a balanced system? If so most of your choices wont work without some kind of converter or mods. If you are only looking at redbook I have had the chance to hear the Classe CDP-202 on two recent occasions. it is (next to the Audio research CD7) the best redbook player I have heard. Both players bumping my old favorite the Audio Aero out of the number one spot. They can be had for $3-4K on the used market. If you dont need a balanced player the Modwright Denon 3910 w/tubed PSU is really a great player. From what I remember of Purks Exemplar 2900 it is not quite on the level of the Modwright Denon.

Maybe Purk and I can get together and check that out. ;D

Tom,

When you heard the Denon, it didn't have the Amperex 7062PW in there. I'm a bigger fan of Exemplar 2900 over the Modwright 999ES however. I can't say for sure on the modwright 3910 (never auditioned it before), but my kern/modwright SCD-777ES is a good bit better than the Exemplar 2900..which it should be given the price difference.

All I can say is that a used Exemplar Denon (have only heard the 2900), redbook only as other sources do better sacd, trounces most players I've heard in your price range, and equals ones I've done fairly serious comparisons to (Esoteric DV50 & SA10) that run much higher. I don't have much experience with a range of cdps, but I'm happy with it as a source for my R10s, and won't be upgrading unless I win the lotto and take a huge leap and/or go balanced. Postjack is on the hunt for an Exemplar right now as well, so you may have some competition. :)

I haven't been able to do the comparisons that Vicki has done, but my eXemplar Denon 2900 is by far the best digital front end that I've spent any real time with. Like Vicki, I don't see any upgrade in the future unless an unexpected windfall comes my way. ;D

I haven't been able to do the comparisons that Vicki has done, but my eXemplar Denon 2900 is by far the best digital front end that I've spent any real time with. Like Vicki, I don't see any upgrade in the future unless an unexpected windfall comes my way. ;D

Yes, the Denon 2900 is likely the best deal on a used market right now. Wonder how much is the going price for them. Around $1400 to $18000 I think. The Exemplar 2900's redbook is pretty impressive.

Purk

..............well if you would quit buying all that wine......

No wait. What better way to enjoy all those tunes than Pinot, sunset, warm California weather perhaps a great Maytag Bleu :dance:

Then again maybe I should take my own advice. >:D

Tom,

When you heard the Denon, it didn't have the Amperex 7062PW in there. I'm a bigger fan of Exemplar 2900 over the Modwright 999ES however. I can't say for sure on the modwright 3910 (never auditioned it before), but my kern/modwright SCD-777ES is a good bit better than the Exemplar 2900..which it should be given the price difference.

Kevin and I have done side by side comparisons with the Modwright Sony and Modwright Denon, and the Sony is no where near the player the denon is. I would put the Modwright denon a little better than the 777Es you have, when I owned it with the SS power supply.

Jack looking for one too :). I'm pretty sure what everyone recommended will trounce my current system by a mile. I'm probably going to not go balanced for a while. I'm really looking at the Exemplar as well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Keep them coming :). I'm going to do a bunch of research on the ones mentioned. Thanks again.

Kevin and I have done side by side comparisons with the Modwright Sony and Modwright Denon, and the Sony is no where near the player the denon is. I would put the Modwright denon a little better than the 777Es you have, when I owned it with the SS power supply.

Yes, all that has changed after I got my modded 777ES a tube rectified PSU. Dan Wright personally told me that my unit is equal to his best work. I can take it further with the new clock Tom and better tubes from Mikhail.

That 3910 isn't a steal, but it's a fair price, I think.

I've been extremely happy with my SACDMods-modded Denon, and their prices are much more competitive that Modwright Exemplar et al. You can get a 3930 brand new factory sealed for ~US$1K (that was with 5 seconds of Googling, I'm sure you can do better), plus the SACDMods mods will double your price, will still be well within your price range.

I think Hirsch has a Modwright -modded Denon for his source, and he's extremely happy with it, I think. (And I mention it because his can of choice is the R10.)

Yes, all that has changed after I got my modded 777ES a tube rectified PSU. Dan Wright personally told me that my unit is equal to his best work. I can take it further with the new clock Tom and better tubes from Mikhail.

Yeah I listened to the Denon with both SS and the tubed PSU. Kevin has two of the denons and the 999Es. all have both PSU. its better with the tubed. The only one I didnt like better with the tubed PSU was the 9100ES. But I didnt like it as much as the 999ES either. You should get upgraded clock. I would also asl Mikhail about the tubes he sent Kevin. They are awesome. The new denon Modwrights are the best Modwright work I have heard. I know your player is very nice. (remember where you got it ;)) it just never hit me like the 3910.

the Dragon isn't balanced.

Yeah, it's not balanced

I think Hirsch has a Modwright -modded Denon for his source, and he's extremely happy with it, I think. (And I mention it because his can of choice is the R10.)

Thanks about your thoughts on the price as others have mentioned that to me as well :). I definitely end up with a better source and I'm looking into a Exemplar 2900 as many are more familiar with it and like it.

I'm going to demo a Cambridge 840C here later this week just to here how it is against my Denon 2900 with DAC1 now. I'm sure it will be a lot better.

Yeah I listened to the Denon with both SS and the tubed PSU. Kevin has two of the denons and the 999Es. all have both PSU. its better with the tubed. The only one I didnt like better with the tubed PSU was the 9100ES. But I didnt like it as much as the 999ES either. You should get upgraded clock. I would also asl Mikhail about the tubes he sent Kevin. They are awesome. The new denon Modwrights are the best Modwright work I have heard. I know your player is very nice. (remember where you got it ;)) it just never hit me like the 3910.

Tom,

Yes, I'm considering a Super Clock 4 on it, but as far as the sound goes...I'm extremely please with it. The modded Sony SCD-777ES has really come to life in my headphone systems.

..............well if you would quit buying all that wine......

No wait. What better way to enjoy all those tunes than Pinot, sunset, warm California weather perhaps a great Maytag Bleu :dance:

Then again maybe I should take my own advice. >:D

Hey, buying that wine is why my wife also lets me buy headphone equipment. No way I'm stopping that. ;)

I've been extremely happy with my SACDMods-modded Denon, and their prices are much more competitive that Modwright Exemplar et al. You can get a 3930 brand new factory sealed for ~US$1K (that was with 5 seconds of Googling, I'm sure you can do better), plus the SACDMods mods will double your price, will still be well within your price range.

I bought a used eXemplar Denon 2900 for $1400. I sent it to John Tucker @ eXemplar and he added the latest two upgrades for $450. So I have a maxed out (as of October 2007) eXemplar 2900 for $1950.

At the same time, Matt of SACDMods was doing his thing to my Eastsound CD-5. In fact, that's my machine on his web site. The additions he made to the CD-5 really improved it, but it doesn't come close to the eXemplar. If I had to give one up, it would be the CD-5.

I would strongly consider a modded Original CD2008 MkII. With Level 3 mods from Moon Audio, it will run you $2100 new and sounds fantastic.

It handles both CD and HDCD, and because they use Lundahl transformers in the mods, they are able to output unbalanced and balanced with ease.

I just bought a Level ~2 (prototype, level 1 transformers, some additional mods) that I plan on further modding myself and it sounds nearly as good, so if you want to save yourself a bit of cash, the Level 1 or 2 might be a good option. According to Drew, the amorphous core transformers that are in the level 2 and 3 mods give the unit a bit of extra sparkle and soundstage, but that you can really only hear the extra soundstage on speakers. My K340's sparkle plenty on their own, so I don't think I'll need to worry about upgrading the transformers in my unit.

I can't wait for it to arrive, it has been a while since I've been this excited about a piece of gear. :o

EDIT: Forgot to mention that he will also do custom configurations if you want. Here is a link: http://www.moon-audio.com/Original%20cd2008mkII.htm

I'll put in another vote for the 840c, I'm glad to see that you are going to audition one. Make sure you bring some music with a good bit of bass to make sure it handles it to your liking with the R10's. I personally think it has a great bottom end, but I am certainly not a basshead.

I'll put in another vote for the 840c, I'm glad to see that you are going to audition one. Make sure you bring some music with a good bit of bass to make sure it handles it to your liking with the R10's. I personally think it has a great bottom end, but I am certainly not a basshead.

Will do morphsci. I have about 10 albums that I usually test my new gears and cans with. I can't wait to audition one just to see how it compares to my current setup. After reading Todd's fantastic review of the 840C I think I won't be disappointed :).