New laptop help

My laptop of three years might not be of use any more :sadcat:

The charger pin is either loose or faulty since I have to wiggle the charger wire a lot in order for it to get a secure connection. It's got to the point where I have to fiddle with it for as much as a half an hour before it sticks, only for it to loosen up with the slightest movement. And since it was an OEM (Compal) I'm not exactly sure how to get it repaired...if any one has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

So I'm considering a new laptop. I paid $1300 for this one back in the day and I'm fed up paying so much for what's pretty much a two to three year disposable device (previous Dell lasted same amount of time).

So my budget is $500-700 max. Apple is out of the question since majority of the time I'm running patient software that works best on Windows.

Two Thinkpad configs with discount:

#1 ($650)

ThinkPad T61 Intel

Yeah I've been leaning towards #1. GMA will play DoTA fine...

Simple solution, open it up and resolder the DC connection. Cost 0$ but no new toy fever.

I'm trying to find the service manual for it now. Compal CL56, pretty popular "gaming" laptop three years ago. The last thing I want to do is buy a new laptop, so hopefully I can fix it.

Vista + 1gb of memory = :horsey:

If you running vista, i would suggest NOTHING less then 3GB of ram...

I just got my Asus G1, really kick ass machine for the price. Similar specs, really nice built...I LOVE the hinges on this thing. First thing i look at when i get a laptop is the hinges on the screen.

Both instances I'd load XP Pro on it.

I'm still trying to find the service manual for my CL56. Google tells me it will be pretty easy to disassemble...

img1428fj4.jpg

img1419ep5.jpg

Look at that beautiful ATi Radeon 9700... still hella fast for all the games I play. Faster than most non-gaming laptops video cards out today...

I really hope it's just a loose pin and it's not corroded or anything.

I'm trying to find the service manual for it now. Compal CL56, pretty popular "gaming" laptop three years ago. The last thing I want to do is buy a new laptop, so hopefully I can fix it.

The DC sockets failing is a rather common fault on older laptops and since they are one of the few through hole components on the PCB they are easy to fix.

Uh...no it's not, there's this thing they have, called Boot Camp.

Linux has something similar, I forget what it's called, though.

I know about BootCamp, Parallels, VMWare, etc. I'm not buying an Apple only to run Windows on it all the time. And my friend has a 17" MBP and he has some problems running some games on Windows, he has gotten a few BSOD due to Nvidia video card drivers. We've tried every version including beta drivers and they still happen with WCIII and CoH.

I know about BootCamp, Parallels, VMWare, etc. I'm not buying an Apple only to run Windows on it all the time. And my friend has a 17" MBP and he has some problems running some games on Windows, he has gotten a few BSOD due to Nvidia video card drivers. We've tried every version including beta drivers and they still happen with WCIII and CoH.

Apple is great and all, but running windows through a simulator is never going to be as good as the real thing. I dont care what anyone says.

I'm not buying an Apple only to run Windows on it all the time. And my friend ...has some problems running some games on Windows...
Yeah, I agree. If it was only one application, I wouldn't have any problem recommending something like that, but I would never run games on it.

It's a simuloader and a bootmulator (bootater?).