Best headphones for Ipod (unamped)

Cujo

I love my er-6i, the only thing I'd possibly replace it with is another one...in black (I bought a white one when I didn't know they came in black).

you should try the re-02. I feel that the er-6i is too bright compared to the er4p/s and the re-02 fixes that as well as adding more bass :)

I thought the MX500 sounded like poo.

Same here. I have a pair at home somewhere but I would def get any yuin instead of that

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should try the re-02. I feel that the er-6i is too bright compared to the er4p/s and the re-02 fixes that as well as adding more bass :)
"Adding more bass" sounds nice, but can't that be accomplished with an amp? I kind of don't want to ruin its detail retrieval (I.E. I do not think it is too bright).

the HD 201s are actually pretty power hungry, i probably wouldn't use them out of an iPod.

This is true, the HD201s sound pretty bad ampless. With a modest amp, they sound much better.

I also agree that the SE530 are very good, but are much more dynamic with an amp.

PK2 are Grado-ish and are good if you don't need any isolation.

PX100 are Senn-ish and are good if you don't need any isolation.

Straight out of the Ipod, I don't think you can beat the ER4P (and I have tried). The ergonomics are not the best, but the sound is.

"Adding more bass" sounds nice, but can't that be accomplished with an amp? I kind of don't want to ruin its detail retrieval (I.E. I do not think it is too bright).

Well, its not the detail retrieval that changes, the sound signature is changed to a more balanced (imo) sound. The highs are more mellow but still detailed and the amount of bass you get is about the same as the amp + er-6i.

I love my er-6i, the only thing I'd possibly replace it with is another one...in black (I bought a white one when I didn't know they came in black).
...I don't think you can beat the ER4P ...
Alright, I stand corrected, I might upgrade to a ER4p if I ever start listening with any frequency again.

I use ATH-CK7s with my iPod Touch. It works rather well and provides good isolation for portable use, which sounds like what you're intending. I'm not outright thrilled by some of the mids emphasis (kind of a class AT thing to do) but I just recently got them and it does seem to be balancing out with some hysteresis in the drivers from initial use. The PK2 is also a good suggestion, especially if you don't want to go the canalphones/IEM route. I seem to be in the minority in that I think the PK2 sounds substantially better than the PK1. It's a great earphone overall, but the isolation may not be enough for you if you're in a noisy environment.

I'll chime in regards to Yuin's PK2. Stay away from the PK1s, they need an amp due to their 150 ohm impedance. Since the headphone out of iPods aren't the greatest, it doesn't make much sense to go high end. But if you plan on upgrading at some point - Sleek Audio's SA6 is quite the gem.

I'll chime in regards to Yuin's PK2. Stay away from the PK1s, they need an amp due to their 150 ohm impedance. Since the headphone out of iPods aren't the greatest, it doesn't make much sense to go high end. But if you plan on upgrading at some point - Sleek Audio's SA6 is quite the gem.

are there any portable mp3 players out there that can handle an impedance of that level or possibly higher?

Actually, the PK1s are decent at 109 db. Comparatively, Sleek Audio's SA6 are 50 ohm / 110 db - definitely easier to drive. 150 ohm is unusually high for an earphone and I always had to have them plugged into an amp to sound their best. Honestly, I do not know from personal experience what DAP would driver the PK1s well. Honestly, you don't lose a whole lot going with the PK2s.

• 3 weeks later...

I was using the ATH-ES7s for a long while with my Ipod, but since I just got the ATH-ESW9s I really like the sound. It is X2 better than my ES7s IMHO. They have great bass, good mids and highs as well. I don't carry an amp for my Ipod for a while now as I hardly use it on the go. If I do use my Ipod I'm really happy with the ESW9s ATM.

• 1 month later...

ESW9s recabled by Alex using not the standerd cable bht tbe new nylon cable. I found the standard contten easily unraveled in contact with velcro, even in just some everyday bends and twists and twits. Adding $50 to the recable adds strenght and flexability for cable that through everyday used can be put through its paces. The overall SQ improvement is well worth the Niree: Extension in the range of sound but upper and lower. Improvements in sound stage and imaging. Better tightness in bass, and smoothness overall. Better tone, dynamics across the board. More clarity and richess as the overall SQ. Only downer for me is I still find them a little to bright and edgy on the top end but I think I'm particlarty sensitive in that regard. Great phone expecially coupled with the ATH Hardshell case.