new here. imod or pico...

aphexpusher

:horsey: sorry for posting another imod thread. I am deciding on two different options for next tax return. I could get an Imod or a pico with dac. as far as how I would amp the imod I have a emu0404 usb which I would run it through for its internal amp. however I am starting to think the pico would be the better choice. I am also considering buying a small laptop about 11 - 12 inch screen and I already have a large portable hdd. so I am considering using the pico with a lappy instead of imod. if it would sound better through the lappy and pico than imod and emu 0404 than that would be the btter choice. I have allessandro ms2 already so I am alright in that department. thanks alot! 8)

I haven't heard an Imod yet, but I have owned a Pico. That thing is quite simply amazing. Out of my laptop or even using my Rega it sounded good. I tried it with my Grados like the SR225, SR60, and HF-1s and it worked fine so I'm thinking that it should be fine with your MS2i. I'm sure if you get the Pico you won't regret it. Even using it with my Ipod on the go with my ES7s they were fantastic. My Ipod with the ES7s never sounded so good in my life. Best of luck :)

Maybe I misunderstand iMods, but isn't their sole purpose to bypass some crappy SMD output caps with some <insert boutique cap here>? Since said caps obviously won't fit inside an iPod if you want to get the lid back on, they spawned the iMod Dock biz (caps in dock instead of inside ipod).

They do not tap the digital out AFAIK...

I have never shopped from ALO but they look like they have nice cables and wires and such.... whats wrong with em? overpriced?

The cables they show on the website are on occasion a lot nicer looking than what you get shipped to you.

I never understood why anyone would go through all the bullshit hassles of tapping the dac in an ipod, when for less money you get digital output from a player/computer which won't have a failing battery down the road. Apple publicly admitted they design ipods to be used approximately 4 years.

Completely outside the realm of discussion for whether you'd want to imod, the ipod battery isn't terribly hard to change, and in 4 years, you'll want to upgrade anyway. The battery issue is a strawman. I've replaced ipod batteries, it takes less than 5 minutes, and costs less than $30.

Probably stupid, but whatever :stick:

My kids have ipods, and I've used them a bit. I've built a couple of docks for them, and we have one of the sendstation (IIRC) docks which also has USB on it. With that USB, could you hook an iPod up to a Pico and play thru that, or is it only for data transfer (itunes)?

I listened to both the 4g imod and a 5.5g imod with a nice alo imod dock and neither gave me much of a first impression. I've owned the 4g regular ipod ever since they came out and have listened via the dock with an assortment of high end portable amps, and when I demo'd the imod it left me wanting. On the other hand, the pico shocked me on first listen with er-4s and even though $500 is a lot of money I instantly felt it was more than justified. Second and third listening sessions afterwards with full sized headphones confirmed those thoughts. Buy the pico. Oh by the way I compared the pico to the predator too with full sized cans and I wouldn't even consider the predator.

sound quality wise with er-4s, hd580, and k501, I would rank

predator < 4g imod < 5.5g imod < pico

I listened to both the 4g imod and a 5.5g imod with a nice alo imod dock and neither gave me much of a first impression. I've owned the 4g regular ipod ever since they came out and have listened via the dock with an assortment of high end portable amps, and when I demo'd the imod it left me wanting. On the other hand, the pico shocked me on first listen with er-4s and even though $500 is a lot of money I instantly felt it was more than justified. Second and third listening sessions afterwards with full sized headphones confirmed those thoughts. Buy the pico. Oh by the way I compared the pico to the predator too with full sized cans and I wouldn't even consider the predator.

sound quality wise with er-4s, hd580, and k501, I would rank

predator < 4g imod < 5.5g imod < pico

As hYdrociTy mentioned on the first listen to the Pico I was like, "these things are amazing!" Once again, but not liked you needed another vote after vote for the Pico, I just wanted to express the same reaction I had as well.