new here. imod or pico...

aphexpusher

well it looks like ill be getting a pico early next year. or perhaps if another better competitor comes around Ill be getting that. the imod is interesting but I have come to the conclusion that it is extremely limited in its usefulness. the pico however is a good investment. it will serve a great purpose for many years after I buy it most likely. now if only they sold the pico in white... :-\

well it looks like ill be getting a pico early next year. or perhaps if another better competitor comes around Ill be getting that. the imod is interesting but I have come to the conclusion that it is extremely limited in its usefulness. the pico however is a good investment. it will serve a great purpose for many years after I buy it most likely. now if only they sold the pico in white... :-\

It couldn't hurt to ask, the worst Justin will say is no.

so I just thought of something interesting. I want to get a cheap mini laptop thingy like an eee pc or something and use my future pico with it. is this possible? also can you stream music to the eee from a pc via wireless?

Excluding the streaming, you've just described my current office rig:

2470067739_dbd45d4b6d.jpg?v=0

2470067709_a6d7b1dc7b.jpg?v=0

Its an HP 2133. I love it. Though I hardly have to touch it, once I've made a playlist of whatever I feel like hearing that day.

^ Can you please post close up picture of your silver Pico please??

I ordered one but it's going to be at least a month before I can get mine.. :'(

Sort of.

This is a pic taken by Riceboy, that I took without his permission :)

It used to be my Pico; I had ordered two, and sold one to him.

I could take an iphone close-up, but it would be blurry, due to lack of manual focus.

Thanks Riceboy :)

:D

Pico.jpg

Get the pico; it isn't really even a contest. The iMod is nothing more than a substitution of electrolytic (or sometimes I guess teflon or other film cap) for the tantalum caps. This can be a significant improvement, but you're still limited by the performance of the on-board codec which is, even by Wolfson's standards, fairly average from the standpoint of what you can achieve if your goal isn't portable-class power consumption and integration. I like my iPod Touch a lot, and the portable codecs from Wolfson are some of the best available, but they are not in the same class as Wolfson's high-end desktop offerings (e.g. WM8740, which is what is in the Pico). Secondly, the pico buffering schema is very good and uses an extremely low distortion chip. Plus, I have some doubts that the 404 headphone amp is in the same class as the Pico headamp that uses an optimised AD8397-based solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Can tell you that an emu 0404 usb -> 4th gen imod isnt even an upgrade. A sidegrade at best. The 5th gen I can't comment on, but yeah pico is probably still overwhelmingly better.

I myself am looking forward to the upcoming dac only version of the Pico with rca outputs. Definitely going to replace the current dac/amp Pico in my Pico -> yamamoto ha-02 -> w5000 work set up.