Favorite Places you like to eat in your area and why

riceboy

kum gang san for the really neat and consistently delicious korean foods. and lombardis for the oh-so-yummy pizza that never gets old.

There's better places than Kam Gan San for Korean food. You got to go to the Murray Hill station on the LIRR, around 150 something street and 36th-38th AVE. The Korean food there, especially the Kalbi, is amazing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A standard week of gastroenterological nightmares in NightWounds' world. I live in an extremely diverse neighborhood of an even more diverse town. Sadly the chains rule the concious of the general population, but there are good things to be found.

Sunday I'm all about the Thai food. There's a buddhist temple two blocks from my house, where they spread out tons of curries, deserts, and general other southeast Asian treats for sale. Not coincidentally, my favorite food to cook right now is Thai or Chinese. I experimented last night with a Chili (one of my old standbys), but with a few Thai spices and some fish sauce thrown at it. Pretty damned good, and the habanero I tossed in with a few lighter peppers took the thing up to a solid 4 alarms. Yumm.

Also in my neighborhood there's a pretty decent BBQ selection, from the redneck whitey version behind the Harley dealership, to the all out soul brother comfort food version just a half mile from the Harley dealership. Also there's a strange hispanic BBQ place that I visit once in a while, if only for the amusement factor.

But speaking of Hispanic joints, I've got 2 in walking distance, and 2 more that are a 5 minute drive. 2 are solidly Cuban, 1 is Brazilian, and 1 is Puerto Rican. Strangely enough the PR folks make the best Cuban Sandwich. Brazilian food is interesting but the local joint uses pretty low quality meat. I've been to a classy rodizio type place where the classic Brazilian meats were much more tasty. And they were all you can eat.... Not something I do much.

Another thing I don't do much but count among my favorites is The Laughing Cat. It's in downtown Ybor (former cigar capital of the world), and run by a five star chef who abandoned Rhode Island to open up a hole in the wall while I was in school in Ybor. $5 lunch specials to die for. Eventually he expanded to a larger but still pretty small restaurant, and now he does a lunch buffet that's pretty intense. Franco (the chef) cooks modern Italian food of the heavy dense and sinful variety. Most dishes involve heavy cream and lots of sliced garlic (hard to take a bite of some of his dishes that don't include a slice of garlic). I wish I had the will power to go there every day and not eat 3000 calories, but I don't. It's a semi-annual trip for me. Funny part is I've never eaten dinner there, due to the high prices. I just can't see spending $30 or more on a plate of food, no matter where it comes from.

There's better places than Kam Gan San for Korean food. You got to go to the Murray Hill station on the LIRR, around 150 something street and 36th-38th AVE. The Korean food there, especially the Kalbi, is amazing.

As a korean, I have to say Kum Kang San is pretty darn good :) Theres very few places that have better korean food near me imo

I don't remember you ever sharing this piece of information with me. How does it compare to Bombay Curry Company, or did you ever try that one? That's my favorite (although it's in Virginia).

Minerva is still my favorite. Also in virginia.

There are a few Mobile/Gulf Coast classics and there are always some up and comers. Anyone who knows anything about stereotypes knows Southerners love food. ;)

Dew Drop Inn. Been in Mobile like a thousand years, the best fucking hot dog on planet earth, with lots of saurkraut and a pickle right in the middle. I like to put pepper sauce on mine. One of the best hamburgers ever as well. Its an old fashioned fifties take out style thin slice of beef, toasted bun, thin meat chili. Again I like to do the pepper sauce, no cheese on this one for me. Then real hand flour battered onion rings, no bullshit premade frozen crap. I dip them in ketchup with, you guessed it, pepper sauce mixed in. Definitely a death row/final meal type of thing for me. Hopefully I never end up on death row. They also have tons of other fair and more fancy stuff, but I pretty much always do one dog, one burger, onion rings.

Boiling Pot. Fried seafood, also steamed seafood. Gigantic portions, and the place is always a fucking madhouse. A good 10-15 minute wait just standing in line to get to the cashier and place your order, and the line is always all messed up. I worked at a similar place called Neighbor's Seafood and Chicken summers during high school. Neighbors also has fried gizzards and livers over rice or mashed potatoes, smothered in gravy and grilled onions... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

we of course have a waffle house on every corner, which crushes IHOP.

I love Southern food. Heck, I love food in general hence the thread :).

That hot dog sounds damn good. I love a good fifties dinner thing. Also, the Boiling pot sounds fantastic. I remember going down to Alabama and New Orleans on a trip. I must say there was this seafood place in New Orleans that had great cajun flavor in their gumbo and the spices in it was just so yummy. I also had a peach cobbler in Alabama, but I don't remember the restaurant, but it was the best I ever had. Love homemade stuff.

The waffle house is definitely a place I would hit up if I was in your area Jack. We have a place called Original Pancake House and it's good with it's signature dishes, but I can't pass up a good waffle place ;).

Damn getting hungry again and it is morning here.

We've got a place called Bandidos in Chapel Hill. They have a lunch club, buy 9 lunch specials and get the 10th one free. I hear ya. It takes all my will power somedays to walk past it to the sandwich/salad place.

When I was working for 6 months on a job in charlotte, I ate at the local sushi bar at least 4x a week. I really miss those high rolling y2k paydays :)

Just went to the new burger joint in town (called Buns humorously enough). I got a bacon cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato and a side of fries.

While In N Out burger is the best hamburger I've had (double double animal style), this ranks a pretty damn close second, maybe even tie, but I need to get out west and have me another In N Out burger before I can really make that call.

Capi's. We called it the mafia pizza joint since there were always luxury cars with tinted windows parked outside the place, and most of them were driven by Italian guys. Also, the place was empty most of the time and we couldn't figure out how they were staying in business unless they were a front for money laundering or something like that.

Anyways, the place has the best pepperoni pizza around, they load it up with lots of cheese and there will be nice puddles of grease on top of the peppperoni slices. Put the slice in one of their take-out bags and the paper bag will go see-through in a couple minutes. It's unhealthy as fuck and you can almost feel your arteries clogging after a couple slices, but damn is it ever good.

Biggie, did you try Maple Grill, Sirinella's, Off Broadway and other smaller places like those? There's also supposedly some interesting places out in the country but it's been awhile since I paid much attention. I do know someone mentioned a spot right off the highway just before Mt. Stewart but I don't remember the name. But you're right, you're not going to get the variety nor quality that you will in some of the bigger centers.

father's office: best burger and fries period and incredible and vast beer selection.

in-n-out really good burger and decent fries, plus it's reasonably priced.

marouch awesome middle eastern food--standards are the vegetarian combination and chicken Kabab.

cholada best thai restaurant--chicken satay, tom yum soup, cholada broccoli, crab fried rice, pad thai are the usuals.

little brother sushi (Woodland Hills): one of my favorite sushi joints. it's a bit expensive, but the portions are on the larger size and the fish is exceedingly fresh. they also have some really good rolls.

sushi zo (Los Angeles): trust the chef type place and they only serve one single piece at a time. it usually small portions, delicious and it melts in your mouth. very, very, very expensive and it's not in such a great location (strip mall), but its nice inside and definitely great sushi without any attitude.

chipotle tasty chicken and pork--usually get a burrito or burrito bowl. the chips and guacamole is also really good.

phillip's barbeque: great ribs and awesome sauce. the sides are alright, but the pork ribs and sauce are incredible.

paco's taco the one on centinela ave is the original and substantially better than the one on manchester. fresh handmade tortillas, salsa, and pretty much everything else done authentic old school. great and tasty mexican food.

these are the usual eateries my wife and i frequent.

One of my friends who is Chinese took me to Yum Cha yesterday at a restaurant in Rhodes. It's called the Pheonix restaurant.

No photos as it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. But we took the half hour drive up the motorway just so he could show me what all the fuss was all about.

Well I can well and truly say that the trip was worth it.

Between 2 people we spent just under $60 on all sorts of chicken feet, steamed buns, steamed dumplings, steamed rice rolls, sticky gluteneous chicken rice and miscellaneous gizzards and to finish it off we got custard egg tarts. oh and who could forget the chrysanthemum and jasmine tea!

I was very pleased with the place, it's quite big and was packed and I could see why! Apparently on weekends the queue is so long and yet people will wait nearly an hour for a seat.

Definitely want to go back there and see what their dinner menu is like... lobster anyone?

One of my friends who is Chinese took me to Yum Cha yesterday at a restaurant in Rhodes. It's called the Pheonix restaurant.

No photos as it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. But we took the half hour drive up the motorway just so he could show me what all the fuss was all about.

Well I can well and truly say that the trip was worth it.

Between 2 people we spent just under $60 on all sorts of chicken feet, steamed buns, steamed dumplings, steamed rice rolls, sticky gluteneous chicken rice and miscellaneous gizzards and to finish it off we got custard egg tarts. oh and who could forget the chrysanthemum and jasmine tea!

I was very pleased with the place, it's quite big and was packed and I could see why! Apparently on weekends the queue is so long and yet people will wait nearly an hour for a seat.

Definitely want to go back there and see what their dinner menu is like... lobster anyone?

Nearly an hour? Is that not long down there?

One restaurant I go to occasionally: it regularly has a 3 hour wait. We usually call ahead, and only have to wait about an hour and a half tops, though.

Nearly an hour? Is that not long down there?

One restaurant I go to occasionally: it regularly has a 3 hour wait. We usually call ahead, and only have to wait about an hour and a half tops, though.

to be honest i wouldn't ever wait that long for food. i'd book or go when it's less busy.

thing with yum cha is it's supposed to be a fairly quick affair, you don't really sit around. once you're finished you vacate your table for someone else.

I refuse to wait more than an hour to be seated at a restaurant. That's just me though. I have better things to do than to stand around waiting to eat.

Dim sum is awesome. My friend's parents own a catering hall and we go there every weekend for it. Not having to pay is awesome too.

I refuse to wait more than an hour to be seated at a restaurant. That's just me though. I have better things to do than to stand around waiting to eat.

Dim sum is awesome. My friend's parents own a catering hall and we go there every weekend for it. Not having to pay is awesome too.

If the restaurant is worth it, then I'll wait. For example, to hit up Pepe's on a friday night usually means a good 1.5-2 hour wait. But so worth it.

I love eating at Thanh Binh in Cabramatta. Although a little pricier than most other Vietnamese restaurants in the area the quality of food is consistent and portions are fairly large. One gripe, their Pho is very average, but I rarely see people there for Pho, there's many more dedicated Pho restaurants for that.

If the restaurant is worth it, then I'll wait. For example, to hit up Pepe's on a friday night usually means a good 1.5-2 hour wait. But so worth it.

There's a restaurant called Big Johns near the beaches, it's known for its gigantic serving portions. On a Friday/Saturday night the queue will be around the block. To be honest the food isn't even that great but it's quite a popular location as it's open until the wee hours of the morning.

Here's a size comparison of their regular chicken caesar salad and an old Nokia 6610:

DSC00009.jpg